Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
pbishop

Default An Old Model A Story

Seeing Midgetracer's 'Kid-behind-the-wheel' pic in an earlier reply-post gave me a smile and a hearty laugh as I instantly thought of my own kids.

Years ago I went to the Zypherhills Car Show in Florida with my 3 1/2 year old son Jesse. It was a hot day and Jesse took off his shirt and we stuffed it into the side of his shorts. He strutted around that day as only We came upon a children's face painting booth. Jesse went right over and soon picked out a horse character (we live on a farm). I asked the artist if he could paint the Mustang emblem and print the older 'Ford' script below it. He could and he did. We had it placed on Jesse's arm so he could look at as well.

At the time I owned a Model T and an A. As we strolled into one of the vendor displays, Jesse went down the line of wheels and began to point and call them out - Model 'T', Model 'A'. When we came to a 'coupe' body he shouted -'Daddy's' Model 'A'!

The old guys there just laughed and laughed as one exclaimed - 'You're raising that kid right.' I just smiled from ear-to-ear. I could not have been prouder of that little boy. Just one of the million reasons I feel blessed to have children.

So kids grow up. Today, Jesse is the 'only' one in the family to have a tattoo.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: An Old Model A Story

Great story and memory. I tried with my 3 boys, now 32, but even though the two that are married used model As in their weddings, not that much interest in old cars. Who knows, maybe when they’re older.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
midgetracer

That kid is my grandson. He has always loved the old cars. He is now 15 and really into cars. Last winter I fell and broke my wrist. I was rebuilding a Model A engine at the time. Ben (my grandson) came over and helped. I could not torque any of the bolts due to my broken wrist, but Ben jumped right in and did it. He took apart an old rusted transmission and glass beaded the parts and reassembled the transmission with used bearings. This week he is using my 29 tudor to demonstrate physics principles to his science class. I have no doubt that there is a future in the hobby.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Synchro909

So your son and grandson are into old cars! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I wish my son and grandson were interested. You're a lucky man. Maybe it wasn't luck, upon reflection.