Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
1EarlyA

Default no spark. Checklist?

I am very new to the Model A community and I am hoping to get some info for a friend who is also inexperienced with the old A's.

This friend has a Model A coupe(can't recall the year right off... I think '29 but not sure) that he got last spring at it always started really well. When he got it out of storage this year, he now has no spark. I am unsure exactly what he has checked so far and am hoping that you guys can give us a checklist to go thru in order to correct this situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Justin
1EarlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: no spark. Checklist?

Almost 100% if the spark went dead while sitting, your points just need a light sanding, or use a points file to clean them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
steve s

could be a lot of things. First, did he check if the battery is dead? (Is there horn or lights?) Every possible thing can fail: I've seen the ignition switch mysteriously die during storage. Best to just bite the bullet and buy a few books--this won't be the last time help is needed. I recommend Les Andrews' books as a good start. They will have a trouble shooting procedure.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
TK in LA

Tom is right about the points and corrosion. I use a nail sanding board I steal from my wife. Also with the ignition in the on position and the cap and rotor out of the way, hold the distributor cap about 1/2 in. from a good ground. Using a screw driver you can jump across the points and you should see a spark from the cap. Don't hold it close to your hand unless you haven't had your shock treatment lately. You can still have corrosion on the point but this should tell you if you have juice to the distributor and points. Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck!
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
ford1

Thumbs up Re: no spark. Checklist?

all the other posts are good, just to add to them, make sure you have fire to the switch fire coming out of the switch to coil, then fire to the dist, with the points closed open and close then with an insulated screw driver, you should see a spark if not check the coil and condensor, turn engine over to make sure the rotor is turning, if its not broken dist shaft or teeth off the cam gear
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EarlyA View Post
I am unsure exactly what he has checked so far and am hoping that you guys can give us a checklist to go thru in order to correct this situation.
1) First make sure the horn or lights work, you may just have a blown fuse,(assuming you have a fuse in the circuit).

2) With key off check for voltage on both sides of coil. Both should be hot.

3) Now, turn the key on and make sure the points are closed. You should have voltage at only one of the posts on the coil. If you do have voltage at both points, then the points are not closing to ground or you have an open wire to the top plate.

4) Check voltage to points, if you have voltage at the movable arm of the points, Move the spark lever in cab to close points or file points.

5) If no voltage then remove Condenser and check again.

6) Still no voltage, check the plunger on the armored cable under the top plate. Check the wire from the lower plate to the upper plate. Repair as needed.

6) If the wiring to the points check out, (No voltage at points when points closed voltage when points open) check coil.

7) Remove the wire from the center of the dist cap and place within 1/4" from a ground. Open points with screwdriver. You should have a good blue spark with a loud crack.

8) Place wire back back on cap. Remove one spark plug wire 1/4" from plug. Try to start car. You should see spark jumping to plug, repeat for all plugs.

9) If not, the problem is in the cap, rotor, or dist body. Check the rotor for rotation, and gaps from rotor to stubs inside the dist body.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-31-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
1EarlyA

Great info guys.
Thanks!

Justin
1EarlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Roadster62

Parked Dad's Roadster 26 years ago and it is dead too. Is it best to just buy a new coil and condenser from the get go? What about other elictrical gizmos? Light bulb replacement is my electrical limit, but I do turn out killer paint jobs.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Parked Dad's Roadster 26 years ago and it is dead too. Is it best to just buy a new coil and condenser from the get go? What about other elictrical gizmos? Light bulb replacement is my electrical limit, but I do turn out killer paint jobs.
It would be good to pour some oil down the distributor hole after that many years of storage. You probably need to clean the points and polarize the generator by jumping the 2 cutout terminals for 1 second after a good 6 volt battery is installed with + ground.

You may also have to clean the old gas out of the tank and lines, and clean the carb.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote