Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
cas3

Default 59ab in a 34 again, darn old cars are not alike!

so now i am finally ready to drop my new "fire breathen monster" motor down on the frame, really for today, i just want to put the weight on to see where the spring settles to. i know i still need to make the U brackets for the spacer on the mounts, but for now, just drop it down. well i need something to fill the space, so i used the brackets i made, and rejected a year ago when doing the same thing in my 34 tudor. these brackets are 2 1/8 tall, and last year they were too short, radiator hoses were way lower than the crossmember. at that time i determined the correct height to be 2 1/2". if bored and need some reading, heres last years post https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216548 so now, again, alli want to do is drop some weight on so i grab the rejected brackets from last year and the are perfect! plenty of room under the hoses. this is a 33 frame, last year was a 34 frame. these are new drakes motor mounts, not sure what i had last year, but certainly they are different. so, i got a freebee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1202.jpg (77.2 KB, 191 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 59ab in a 34 again, darn old cars are not alike!

Sometimes, just sometimes, the stars align for us flathead nuts! Good on you!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Looks like the engine has been set bacl alittle.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
B-O-B

Just a wee step ahead of me. I just set my motor in my roadster this afternoon,& used a piece of 2" PVC for a look see. Went to the steel yard & got there too late they were just closing.Gate was already locked.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
cas3

ol' ron you have a sharp eye! yes, the motor is back as far as the oval holes in the trans mount will allow, so maybe 1/4" off center of the oval. the difference in height still is strange to me. the other car, with a 2 1/2" spacer has the radiator hoses nearly touching the cross member, this car with 2 1/8" has almost enough room to slide my little finger under the hose. then for fun i went to see if i could slide the steady rods in place while the motor was in, and my rods that i went to great pains to make perfectly straight and painted, are about a 1/2" low at the frame and will need to be bent up slightly. so, really the front could go down a bit making even more of a difference in the height of the spacers required. meaning, as usual, dont use some one else 's numbers
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote