Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Mike B

Default 1932 PU value

I know, no pictures and here's why..

A friend stopped by this past weekend and found out I sold my '42 PU a bit back.

I told him I was "getting the itch" for another old Ford PU, he began telling me about the one his dad has (had) who passed away a few years ago, seems back in the 80's the 4cyl wore out and he pulled off the radiator, etc, and pulled the engine to get rebuilt apparently something happened at the shop he took the engine in to, and the truck has been sitting ever since.

He doesn't recall much rust or crushed fenders, and unless something has happened inside the barn it's been stored in, all glass should still be in it.

He said his dad was not into "updating" anything and preferred to just fix what needed fixing, which leads us to believe the truck is all stock.

Assuming it's not a rust bucket, bucket, what's a fair value on the truck?

I know I'm jumping the gun here without pictures, but we're going to go take a look at it next weekend and I'd like to have a price in mind, plus unless the barn has good light in it, my old cellphone won't take much of a picture anyways, just want to know if this could be a 20K truck, 10K truck, etc?

I know, quite an open ended question, but just looking for a range.

Thanks
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Jwilli

Default Re: 1932 PU value

Take a good flashlight and take some pictures.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Peterooster

In 1999 I bought mine, a real rust bucket, six inches of bottom of door rotted out, back of cab like swiss cheese, but complete. Engine had multiple cracks, no title, all for $2500.00. Pete
Peterooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
34pickup

Sounds like a $5K truck to me. Being in Cali I assume its not very rusty, just worn out and needs rebuilding. It could be a 20K truck after you spend years and 15K rebuilding it.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Sounds like a $5K truck to me. Being in Cali I assume its not very rusty, just worn out and needs rebuilding. It could be a 20K truck after you spend years and 15K rebuilding it.
Sight unseen, I would have to agree. Good pics of inside, outside, underside could change my opinion.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
rockfla

First....are you sure its a 1932....given your location, description of said truck this sounds like the same truck In a previous thread asking basically the same question "as to the worth?" Check out "1933 Truck Worth" thread and see if that's not the same truck?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
First....are you sure its a 1932....given your location, description of said truck this sounds like the same truck In a previous thread asking basically the same question "as to the worth?" Check out "1933 Truck Worth" thread and see if that's not the same truck?
Not the same...this one has/had a 4 cylinder, the other was a v8. The other one I think is for sale in the swap section now.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
rockfla

The ad stated that the 1933 truck was "originally" a 4 banger and the front of the truck is completely off!! So that's what brought it to mind and both trucks are Cali trucks!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Mike B

No, I'm just going by what my friend said (as to a '32), as I recall the '33 was in Southern California, I'm no where close to that, this truck is on my friends Dad's property in Gustine area, about 45 -60 minutes from us.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some decent pics of it this weekend when we head over to see it.

I've been searching through EBay ads to ball park it, but not finding anything that looks like this one "sounds".

Appreciate the replies.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

I think whether or not your friend still has the title is going be a factor. Any'32 title (4 door-roadster) adds a few hundred dollars to the price.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Mike B

Yes Tim, I didn't even think about that.

Are the serial numbers in the same place as 35-40's?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post

The visible serial number should be on top of the left frame rail near the steering box. On passenger vehicles there were two more places for the number under the body but I am not sure about the commercial vehicles. Nothing needs to get removed to see the number. The number starts and ends with a star so you can tell you have the whole number.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
bobH

Mike, I'm going to tell this, because this is what happened to me almost 40 years ago. I went to look at a 32 pickup, project, basket case. And, I bought it. I was very UN-knowledgeable, and within a day learned that I bought a 33. I know you won't make my mistake. (In my case, it made no difference. I was happy with a 33.)
If it were me in your shoes, I'd probably be carrying about 10K in cash, and I'd try to negotiate a (lower) deal along the lines of what is posted above. The old adage, it's worth whatever you are willing to pay. AND, if it's typical, original, rust-free California tin, just needing 'everything' to put it on the road, and if I really wanted it, I'd be strongly influenced with an upward price. What if it's rust-free, and has an old CA plate on it? And, what if there is an old CA registration with it? I'd be 'on it', and let my emotions rule. I'd only be tempered by the fact that I have a personal friend, who is an EFV8 club member, very old-time senior guy, and also a major appraiser of these old Fords. His ad is in Hemming's, an sometimes in the V8 times. And, he recently sold one of his personal 32's, a restored 32 CCPU. And, I think I know about what he got for it. So, I would temper any offer, knowing what I believe is a selling price of a (very well) restored 32 (V8) pickup. Just opinion.
(This 32 pickup that I speak of, was judged at the Utah meet, and was in Hemming's for sale. I might be able to find the ad, and the judging results, if I were to put some time into looking. It was a nice, correct, pickup. And, it would provide a 'yardstick' to compare against.)
(In response to Tim's title comment, having an old title in CA, is not a factor, makes no difference - especially if it's been off the record for something like 7-10 years.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Mike B

Thanks Charlie
Old 09-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
Mike B

Good advice Bob.

The thing is, I'm not lusting after a '32 Ford, like so many do, I'd be just as happy with a F1 or a '38 PU with a FH in it.

My nephew is taking over my '36 PU project, so for the first time in 25 years or so, I'm "Old-Fordless", I'm really intrigued by this truck because as it sounded like, "was just taken apart for an engine overhaul", which hopefully means the bed would not be loaded with all the parts like fenders, interior stuff, like it was about to be fully restored, although I'm not too old (53), I don't feel like buying jig saw puzzles at my age anymore
Old 09-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
bobH

Quote:
..... although I'm not too old (53), I don't feel like buying jig saw puzzles at my age anymore
If you like 'mechanical puzzles', I don't think you will get over it. I believe it's a 'disease'. I remember when I was in my 50's, and saying to people that 'this is my last one'. Now, more than 25 years later, I still enjoy 'mechanical puzzles'.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:

Great question, I don't know.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
jim galli

I don't think 5K may be enough. If it's anything like this truck, but with the motor gone and things simply taken apart to get the motor out, I'd want to have more than that with me. I know I'd be hoping for 8.5K if it was similar to the one I've linked to. That one pulls at my heart strings. Be ready. And if you want a '39 tonner with patina, we can sure swap.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
If you like 'mechanical puzzles', I don't think you will get over it. I believe it's a 'disease'. I remember when I was in my 50's, and saying to people that 'this is my last one'. Now, more than 25 years later, I still enjoy 'mechanical puzzles'.
Ya...but my problem is, whenever I buy a "pile of parts", I get too anal about putting things back together...fix, sand, prime, paint...on and on...I've realized over the years, that even though I say it when I see it, I'm not just going to "put it together and drive it"...meaning weeks turn in to years and years
Old 09-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #20
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
I don't think 5K may be enough. If it's anything like this truck, but with the motor gone and things simply taken apart to get the motor out, I'd want to have more than that with me. I know I'd be hoping for 8.5K if it was similar to the one I've linked to. That one pulls at my heart strings. Be ready. And if you want a '39 tonner with patina, we can sure swap.
That's kinda what I've been thinking it might look like (well hoping anyways).

lol on the swap, heck, don't even have it or know if I'll be able to get it.

If it's out of my price range, I'll definitely pass the info along for other Barners to take a crack at it.

Maybe I can interest him in a few old Winchesters...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
Relative to Tonopah... That Stude, on the north end of town, on your right going north, is pulling on my chain. I stop and look at it, often.

Ooops... Sorry... Shot from the hip. Should be Goldfield, not Tonopah.

Last edited by bobH; 09-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.