Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
BrianM

Default Newbie Shock Confusion

Greetings again, I told you I'd be back....

Checked all four shocks on my "new" 1929 Tudor and they all need work. Looking at Andrews & other sources for disassembly instructions, I was scared off by all the comments of "excessive force required" & "special tools required". But with the price of new repros, I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to take one apart. That's when it got confusing.....

My shocks sure look like Houdaille's, they mount & connect as usual, and they have the Hex head adjusters, but the disassembly has nothing to do with the published instructions.

The reservoir body is not threaded on the outside, and there is no reservoir cover or locking ring. Instead, there is a cast iron end plate (flange cover?), without the hex head. The flange cover has 6 raised bosses which I'm sure accomodate a special tool, but which can be attacked with a hammer & drift. Then the top pops up, as there is a spring under.

With the body clamped in a vise, fresh fluid added, and a number of lever excursions made, the shock now works!

My question is, where did these shocks come from? I haven't figured how to get the vane assembly out yet, but I think this style is much easier to rebuild. At least, they are much easier to get open. I checked Mac's fine online catalog & see a similar flange cover on 1940's style Ford shocks, but they don't have the square post out and their mounting bolt holes look in-line instead of offset. Is it possible some shock genius added the easier to disassemble flange cover to Model A shocks? That's all I can think of.

I'm hoping the gasket kits & new adjusters will work. I suspect they might.

DSC01277_edited.jpg

Thanks, Brian
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Newbie Shock Confusion

In the 1937 parts book they have part # B18015-B --28-32, and yes they are built inside like a 37 --40s shock, made as a replacement, sold by Ford
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
BrianM

Default Re: Newbie Shock Confusion

Thanks Kurt,

That's what I wanted to know. Looks like I got lucky & wil be able to replace the gaskets,
seals, and adjusters. 'Will save a lot of money & still have adjustability, besides being Ford parts.

Brian
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote