Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
jhowes

Default steam holes

What is the purpose of the steam holes in the Model B engine? I have seen them is other engines like straight eight Pierce Arrow blocks. In a post in this forum it was mentioned to use a paint on the head gasket because it would harden up and act like a glue. The poster said that copper coat does not harden and therefore not give the same degree of blow out protection. What does copper coat do then, why use it? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
emf

Default Re: steam holes

Not sure of the purpose of the steam holes. Maybe they were part of the casting process...

As far as copper coat, I never install a head gasket without it. Some may disagree. I think it helps form a better seal between gasket and the head or block. The only time i did not use copper coat was when I used the new black head gasket with the Snyder's high compression head. This was at their direction. After several posts here about the black gasket, I wonder if that was the correct route for me. It's been on for a year now without problems. Time will tell... I would never, never paint a head gasket.... Just me...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

copper coat does harden with time... That why if you read the directions spray it on ;liberally, let it setup till it just starts getting sticky the quickly place it and the headgkastet on.

I never assemble things without it that i dont want to leak...
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Brian T

The steam holes were intended to relieve any hot spots that may boil the coolant, plugging them does not cause a problem with the B engine, as far as I know, doing so allows more choices of head gaskets that fit better, the 2 in the middle of the block are very close to the #2-3 cylinders so poor fitting gasket will fail quickly.
The black Best Gasket Co, says no sealant needed, when the gasket heats up it will stick to the block and head, modern gaskets are this way, to remove the stuck parts of the gasket use (Decal Remover) found at most auto stores, this softens it up and is easily scraped off.