Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Rear Axle Repair, Gaskets

I have been following Tom Endy's repair paper dated 2014. I think things are going pretty good. Today I checked for lockup with the carrier, housings and banjo and after confirming lockup I pushed on and added gaskets between the left housing and the banjo. I could feel the changes in the drag on the ring gear as predicted by Tom. This is what I ended up with for gaskets:
(2) 0.006 gaskets, (2) 0.005 gaskets and (1) 0.003 gasket.

My question is: should I reduce the number of gaskets by using (1) 0.010. I may have other combinations I could make. Maybe I will have to make some changes when I get into the back lash tests. Thank you for your suggestions. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Rear Axle Repair, Gaskets

Your still going to have to set the backlash after getting a good bearing preload. It's hard to say how much shimming that might take. I'd get that set before substituting thickness of the number you have now. If you can substitute after then do whatever will still keep the proper dimensions.

When I was still overhauling helicopter transmissions, l would use multiple shims. After setting preload, backlash, and gear pattern, I would reduce the number of shims through substitution. They used aluminum peel shims which made the job much easier. With paper shims, it won't be so simple but it is still possible. It really helps if a person knows how much crush is possible with paper shims. The metal shims didn't crush but I had to use Threebond 1211 sealant to keep them from leaking. On turbine gearboxes I had to use Loktite anaerobic sealer but they didn't need shims. A lot of aircraft stuff uses no gaskets. Aircraft engine cases need a silk thread at the parting line to act as a dam for the sealant. I used 1211 on those too.

A lot of antique components leak or seep. The parts tolerances were good but few were what I'd call precision made.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-12-2023 at 05:32 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote