Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default Fan Shroud or Not?

I have what I hope will be a nice 276 flatty going into my '51 Tudor. I have a brass 4 row US Radiator and original 3 blade fan. I raised the question here sometime back about if that fan would be adequate for this engine, the consensus was I should be OK. I recently saw that the '49-'59 Ford Mercury Association offers a specific fit fan shroud, it attaches to existing radiator bolts, looks well made. Just looking for some opinions, I realize I could just wait and see,.. or it couldn't hurt,... or? It's just that things are all apart, would be most convenient time to install a shroud. Opinions welcome, Thanks guys.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Fan Shroud or Not?

I would definitely go for it, and as a shroud is so efficient, be sure to run 180* thermostats to keep your engine at full running temperature.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:38 PM   #3
GB SISSON

I solved my overheating problem on my woodie wagon with a shroud three years ago. Hasn't overheated since. Good insurance for your new engine.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #4
woodiewagon46

A shroud is a must. You need to pull all the air you can across your radiator. There have been articles written about air movement with out a shroud and you would be surprised how much the air is "thrown around" with out a shroud.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:08 AM   #5
Lawson Cox

Is there a fan shroud than can be retrofitted on a 35 peecup? And look right? I don't run hot on mine, but a shroud would help place more air through the radiator for sure.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:13 AM   #6
Ken Henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I run a 276 in my 51 Tudor with no shroud, 180* stats, stock radiator, and there is no need for a shroud. Stayed right at 180* all summer. The 239 I pulled used to creep up in temps, especially in traffic. I suspect it was seeping combustion gases into the cooling system but never really figured it out. Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
pistonbroke

The thing to keep in mind is a fan and shroud only works at low speeds (below 25 mph), after that more air is forced through the radiator from the grill then your engine fan could ever hope to achieve. This of course is assuming you still are running all the stock sheet metal between the grill and radiator. I'm a big fan of shrouds ( no pun intended) having spent many a day with old trucks idling through the hay fields for hours on end. If your in heavy traffic or doing parades they are the best thing since sliced bread. I would also go for the optional four blade fan if it was available. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

You wont know until you drive it but having surplus cooling capacity can be a benefit ,it depends on your Radiator .(With respect )If you have ever swatted a fly with the plastic gizmo the fly more often than not flies of that's because your pushing a bunch of air that it feels and flies off ,most of the air in front of your car bounces of .so pulling the air even up to higher speeds the faster you go the more it pulls,that's my experience any way ,I have posted up how to make your own shroud if you can find them .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 01-06-2023 at 03:39 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #9
Shoebox

Thanks a bunch guys for the responses/opinions on this, the Barn is such an awesome resource. These days one never knows when something becomes "out of stock" or "back ordered" so I've got a shroud coming and plan on installing right from the start.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:28 PM   #10
V8 Bob

My 239" '51 has never run hot without a shroud, but I am using a stock 4-blade fan from a Merc. You might be fine without one, but a shroud will add insurance of not running hot.

Keep in mind many aftermarket multi-carb intakes offset the generator mount to the drivers side, which also offsets the fan. So, You want to have your intended intake installed before installing the shroud, as normal fan to shroud clearance is 1" total, or 1/2" on each side.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:11 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Back Ordered, Out of Stock, and 'Supply Chain' are fast becoming the buzzwords of this decade.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:25 PM   #12
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Back Ordered, Out of Stock, and 'Supply Chain' are fast becoming the buzzwords of this decade.
Still, B.O.B. Remains firmly in control of the title. 🤨🤨
Old 01-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #13
joe amorello

On hot days my 39 ran hot. Radiator shroud solved the problem easy fix
joe amorello is offline   Reply With Quote