Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default '35 Pickup value vs. '36 Pickup

The 2017 Old Cars Weekly Value Guide rates a 1935 Pickup, in #1 condition, at $28,000 and a 1936 Pickup in the same #1 condition at $25,500

You would think they would be about the same money, but I guess a '35 is valued a bit more. This Price Guide is usually pretty accurate in what I've seen in the past.

Not many vehicles are #1 in real life, most I would rate a #2+ at best.

Anyway, I'd take either one. Two of the sharpest antique Ford pickups out there! The '40 and '41 Ford Pickups even leave the '35-'36 in the dust, value wise. Big bucks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: '35 Pickup value vs. '36 Pickup

Perhaps they have a larger data base of sold 35 vs sold 36?
I'm sure their numbers have to be based on something, but as far as the trucks themselves I think they are nearly identical in style and features.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
The 2017 Old Cars Weekly Value Guide rates a 1935 Pickup, in #1 condition, at $28,000 and a 1936 Pickup in the same #1 condition at $25,500

You would think they would be about the same money, but I guess a '35 is valued a bit more. This Price Guide is usually pretty accurate in what I've seen in the past.

Not many vehicles are #1 in real life, most I would rate a #2+ at best.

Anyway, I'd take either one. Two of the sharpest antique Ford pickups out there! The '40 and '41 Ford Pickups even leave the '35-'36 in the dust, value wise. Big bucks.
I have found the Old Cars price guide to be a joke in most cases.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Kube I guess I have to back up a bit. You are kinda correct in that I've seen prices all over the place for different quality levels of cars. The prices in the book are more of a starting point/reference.

A 1970 Torino GT convt., 429 CJ, is listed at $15,000 to $20,000 MORE than a '71 Torino GT convt. 429 CJ, and they made twice as many '70's as they did '71's. They are exactly the same car only the '71 has a split grille middle medallion the '70 is a round medallion. Another example that doesn't make any sense

So you DO have a point.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
oldandtired

There are actually quite a few differences between the 35 and 36 pickups that might have an impact on relative value. This is not an attempt to list all, just the ones that are easily visible. The early 35 pickup had the garnish molding door window surrounds, the hood had the hood side emblems toward the middle not at the front of the hood, the grill was not as deep across the top, and the 35 had wire wheels. The cab is not the same, either, but you have to be fairly familiar with the two to tell just by glancing.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
ronn

Is not the production lower on the 35 over the 36?

that would be my opinion........... in the end, I think they sell for about the same money.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

This topic has come up from time to time, the most memorable was a discussion with
Benny Bootle, if you are over 70 you will certainly remember Benny. That particular
discussion ended with Benny's statement that the depth (thickness) of the '35 grill
shell was more pleasing to the eye proportion wise vs the deeper (thicker) by about
an inch '36 grill shell. After eyeballing Rednecks '35 p/u I have to agree with Benny.
Having said all that I'm hot after a survivor '36 p/u, a somewhat rare Easter version
with a FACTORY chrome grill shell and sliding back window. Beauty ,it is in the eye of the beholder.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Juergen

Old Cars have said that their estimates are based on recent auction prices. As we all know these can vary all over the place. But what better numeric approach would one use?
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
oldandtired

Charlie ny....My understanding is that the chrome grilled 36 pickup was the Deluxe pickup. The rear slider window was available on the 35 as well if I remember correctly, but I do not believe there a 35 Deluxe pickup. Lawson might want to weigh in.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Lawson Cox

Charlie. There was not a Deluxe pickup in 1935. I'm not too sure about the sliding rear window on the 35, and ,my notes for "the book" are not available to me right now. You might check with Don Rogers about that. He has my notes.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote