Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #1
Ford coupe

Default oil pressure guage

s there an easy way to instaLL A MECHANICAL OIL PRESSURE GUAGE ON MY 272 VICKY ENGINE AND KEEP THE DUMMY LIFHT AS I DONEALLY TRUST THE ORIGINAL AND DONT REALLY KNOW MY OIL PRESSURE /
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: oil pressure guage

Yes - in line with the current sender there are 3 or 4 more ports on the block that you can connect a mechanical gauge to. Or you get get some fittings and have the stock sender and the tube for the mechanical gauge at the one spot Also could rig up an electrical oil pressure gauge the same way.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
... in line with the current sender there are 3 or 4 more ports on the block that you can connect a mechanical gauge to. ...
Yes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil galley plugs c.jpg (71.9 KB, 135 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:58 PM   #4
fijidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Yes - in line with the current sender there are 3 or 4 more ports on the block that you can connect a mechanical gauge to. Or you get get some fittings and have the stock sender and the tube for the mechanical gauge at the one spot Also could rig up an electrical oil pressure gauge the same way.
I had the same concern with my '56 Thunderbird and came up with this hokey mess (see image below).

I made this up from my stash of brass fittings, but I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do it. Just haven't been able to find the right fittings in local auto parts stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 TB Oil Pressure setup.jpg (49.0 KB, 29 views)
fijidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:41 AM   #5
mercman from oz

There are 3 or 4 more ports on the block that you can connect a mechanical gauge to. ...dmsfrr
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #6
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

There are 3 or 4 more ports on the block that you can connect a mechanical gauge to. ...dmsfrr
On the picture is this where the electric sender is usually installed or as factory installed? On my '55 T Bird 292 the tapped hole above coolant petcock is where mine is and where I installed "T" for original sender and mechanical oil pressure gauge. I think mine is correct because that was where the Casco sender wire fit but no farther.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:56 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
On the picture is this where the electric sender is usually installed or as factory installed? On my '55 T Bird 292 the tapped hole above coolant petcock is where mine is and where I installed "T" for original sender and mechanical oil pressure gauge. I think mine is correct because that was where the Casco sender wire fit but no farther.
37 Coupe, I believe that's correct. The fitting next to the coolant drain valve is the original location for the '55/'57 T-Bird oil pressure switch... see photos below.

The previous photo of the pressure switch on an upside down engine was not the original engine for the car, a '55 T-Bird. That photo was meant only as an example of the locations of the oil galley fittings.
I placed the pressure switch in that location because that's where it was on the engine that was removed, also not original to the car.

The next two photos show before and after on what was an original, but now rebuilt, T-Bird engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before, oil pressure switch.jpg (48.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20220918 oil pressure switch & filter plate c.jpg (56.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-27-2023 at 08:14 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:23 PM   #8
fijidad

Attached is an image of how I solved this problem, much like another responder who talked about using a "T" for both the manual and electric pressure sending units. Tried as I did, I could absolutely not budge the other port plug. Use a torch and everything else I knew to use, but in the end, this was the simplest solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 TB Oil Pressure T.jpg (39.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
Gene F

Hmmm. I have a 292 in my 57 Fairlane/Skyliner. I'd like to do the same, but I do not recall my bottom end looking quite like that. Perhaps it's because the motor mount is in the way on my car. I will have to get under there and take a look.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:19 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

The NPT port that dmsfrr shows just below the coolant drain petcock is the location for the oil sending unit on all 1955/56 Ford Y-blocks in full-sized cars.
It can be used as a combo for a mechanical pressure line with the original sending unit as shown above or similar, or you can use separate oil ports that are in line with the original sender (if you can get the pipe plugs out).
By doubling up on the original port, you may have to lengthen the white/red oil sender wire to get it to stretch to the sender unit terminal. Originally, that wire was routed through the space between the engine block and the motor mount as a means of supporting the wire. Any modifications to wire length or routing should take into account how the modified wire lays in relation to super hot surfaces (particularly the back of the exhaust manifold).
A little bit better and more efficient assortment of brass fittings can be found at most big hardware stores.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #11
Gene F

I noticed the exhaust in that area, and we think alike. I have a copper line for my gage, not a plastic one.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:29 PM   #12
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I noticed the exhaust in that area, and we think alike. I have a copper line for my gage, not a plastic one.
Same here but the line I used looks like copper but is copper plated 1/8"
steel tubing which was what Stewart Warner provided in fifties.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:20 PM   #13
fijidad

I plan on routing both the copper tube and the electric sending unit wire through a "heat barrier" tubing (don't know what the technical word for it is) to help with heat issue.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:54 PM   #14
fijidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijidad View Post
I plan on routing both the copper tube and the electric sending unit wire through a "heat barrier" tubing (don't know what the technical word for it is) to help with heat issue.
Here is a picture of the heat-resistant tubing I mentioned the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 TB Insulation tube.jpg (40.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

Heat problems for the plastic oil tubing can be avoided by routing the tubing up to the wire-harness on the drivers side fender apron. Fomoco provided a couple of spare "ports" in the rubber bushing where the wire-harness goes through the firewall. I just took my bushing out, drilled a 1/8" hole in one of those spare ports and poked the plastic tubing through it to my oil pressure guage under the dashboard. You can use a couple of little nylon wire ties to bundle the plastic tubing along the wire harness. Never had any trouble with it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote