Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #21
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Why do you like your car.

Because my Wife says it's so ugly, -- it's Cute --- '31 Pickup
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #22
Curtis in MA

I have to start by saying what you said not to "Dad bought it" before I was born. Some of my earliest memories are Mom driving us three boys around in it, and it's a coupe with a trunk, no rumble seat!
Then I drove it to High School and since I was the only one interested in it he gave it to me.
When my daughter was born I wished for a Fordor but just put it away for awhile.
She learned how to drive a standard in it!
To many memories to ever sell her.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #23
mgtf1500

The first car I drove that did not belong to my parents was a Model A pick-up. While looking for a pick-up to restore I found a Deluxe Delivery. As they say --- Love at First Sight.
mgtf1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
CHuDWah

What makes you think I like that rusty cantankerous money pit?

Seriously, when I got into old cars, Model A had become popular - probably more so than other Fords or other makes. Back then, they were old enough to be uncommon on the street but there were a lot of reproduction (and original) parts available. I like the A styling and prefer "one-seaters" (coupes, roadsters, cabbies) and commercials - sedans not so much. So those are the styles I've owned.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #25
mhsprecher

I don't know why I settled on a Model A, but I liked old cars. When I was a teen, my barber restored Model As and I guess he was a big influence on the kind of car I wanted to have.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #26
Chris H

I do have to start by saying that I have never been a “Ford guy”. I just don’t care for their styling. I have always preferred Packards, but could never afford one. I do admire well built machines though. I consider the Model A to be a well built, and well engineered machine, much ahead of it’s time, for the price, and I do like the styling of the Model A. I have always enjoyed looking at them at car shows, in their original, as built, condition. (Unless there were Packards in the show.) ��

Just driving a machine, of that time period, as they were built, is a pure joy. The reaction of other people, to the car, seeing it running around, is a lot of the fun. You always get the usual questions: “I thought they were all black”, or “do you have to start it with a crank?”, or “how fast will it go?”... All questions that are fun to answer and give a little history.

Old technology is fun and interesting. I also restore old radios from the ‘20s and ‘30s for the same reason. It’s not for everyone, and not everybody can do it, but it’s fun, and a means of maintaining a little bit of history. If only these old cars, (and radios) could talk...where they have been, what stories they could tell...

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #27
Michael in Sedona

'29 Bronson Yellow Roadster. Love the big 21" wheels, the tiny doors, the wind wings, black wheels with narrow whitewalls, the motometer with wings, the '39 tranny with synchromesh, and having the top down on nice days. An absolute joy to own and drive.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

They are a fun little car to drive around. Good looking still even today. A Model A Ford is like a Mustang, they just have a certain 'look' that others can't duplicate. You know just what either of these cars are coming down the road.

We have a '30 Roadster, yes it is a tight fit, but all our driving is very local never go on any long drives or tours so it fits the bill.

Our '29 Tudor was a better all-around Model A. Plenty of room. Buttoned up tight when you wanted to keep the elements out. Tudors are great Model A Fords to own.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #29
Russ B

My ‘29 cabriolet is the most comfortable A to drive that I’ve ever had, and the design of the Briggs cowl for the 28-29 bodies was ahead of its time, and just clean design.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
DHZIEMAN

For me, and my dad did have one, this car is something I can work on and drive, and take short road trips and think back to better times. Any man or woman could work on one of these cars in the day and accomplish something. As a kid, I wanted to learn to drive as soon as I was able and that was when I was 10 in 1950, and the Model A was the car I sat on pillows and got my feet to the pedals, and got it started and drove around our property.
Time has flown by since then and last year, I ran into this car for sale, that had been sitting in a guys showroom. Cosmetically it was great, Mechanically and electric stuff, lighting and stuff have kept me going now for some time! And for my retirement, it in a way is just good therapy!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #31
Stretch Cab

I’m 61 and can’t remember not having an old car in the family so that is part of the reason I have the cars that I do. Why I have my roadster is because of my mother. She bought the car for my dad 48 years ago for his birthday. Dad gave me the car a few years ago. To be honest it isn’t the car I would have chosen. My mother had the choice of a two door phaeton or the roadster for the same money but chose the roadster as dad had one as a kid. Don’t get me wrong I love the deluxe roadster for so many reasons and will never sell it but someday I hope to have a 30-31 phaeton. A four door will do. I guess you would say my car was chosen for me.
The car i really miss was my roadster pickup that I gave to my daughter. That was a great truck but at 6’6” I never fit.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote