Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
BlueSunoco

Default Compression check 59 AB

See my post in the '6V vs. 12V ' Hard Starting thread I already started. Did a compression check and wondered if these numbers look OK to you guys--------

No. 1--85#
No. 2--90#
No. 3--85#
No. 4--85#
No. 5--100#
No. 6--105#
No. 7--95#
No. 8--105#
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Compression check 59 AB

No major problems there.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
WestCoast

#120 is specs,your close, loose some power with those readings, but still will run good, go to VANPELTS Sales LLC for all the engine specs
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
#120 is specs,your close, loose some power with those readings, but still will run good, go to VANPELTS Sales LLC for all the engine specs
Will do thanks guys. One Ford mechanic told me that 'flatheads won't start when they are tired' but he is a younger guy hasn't had much experience with flatties!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just for future reference (based on what was stated on your other post) Ford cylinders are numbered starting with the right (passenger side) front to rear and then the left (driver side) front to rear. So, number 1 is the right front cylinder and number 8 is the left rear cylinder.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Plenty of compression for that engine to start and run reasonably well . . . your problems are elsewhere.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Just for future reference (based on what was stated on your other post) Ford cylinders are numbered starting with the right (passenger side) front to rear and then the left (driver side) front to rear. So, number 1 is the right front cylinder and number 8 is the left rear cylinder.
Thanks I should have remembered that from my years as a Ford parts manager!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Plenty of compression for that engine to start and run reasonably well . . . your problems are elsewhere.
THANK YOU!! THAT'S very good to hear. I can lay the 'That engine is just tired and worn out' advice a Ford mechanic told me to rest
Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Floyd

Keep reporting on your progress. Many of use like these kind of stories, especially when we can see it through to completion.
Many times we only get to see the beginning of the mystery, not the end of the movie to find out "who dun it".
Just an opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Will do thanks guys. One Ford mechanic told me that 'flatheads won't start when they are tired' but he is a younger guy hasn't had much experience with flatties!!!
I'm no longer a 'younger-guy', and I'd say the same thing. Working in a garage and used car lot back in the 50's, we pulled or pushed many a Ford to get them going the first time. If started daily after that, they would usually start on their own.

BTW, the spec may be 'up there', but my experience says your numbers are good. I've never seen a stock engine at 120.
Might have to define what a compression test is. Lots of definitions, with varying results. Still, good numbers, no matter how you did it.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Drbrown

Were those numbers obtained without adding oil into the cylinders ? What are readings if you add oil ?
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Were those numbers obtained without adding oil into the cylinders ? What are readings if you add oil ?
Good questions. I just did it the way my dad told me many years ago and didn't think much about it---- Did not add any oil in cylinders or such.

Started engine and brought it up to temperature. Then, I took the spark plugs out of 5-6-7-8 (left side bank one at a time and did the compression check. After cranking it to get those four cylinders I got the idea of leaving all the plugs out to make it easier on my starter and four year old battery. Then I did 1-2-3-4 (right hand bank) At this time I thought 'well, maybe that skewed my first readings so I went back and redid 5-6-7-8 and got the same readings I got the first time.

Started good cold but same no-start after warmed up. I'm going to recheck the coil and take the condensor over to Radio Shack and have it checked as a Fordbarner suggested earlier.

Will post the results of what I found. Has to be a pansy spark as when I hold the coil wire to ground it is a dribbly weak looking yellow spark. May also change coil wire that was a thought too. Pos. and Neg. wires to coil are in very good shape no broken insulation or anything of that sort!
Old 10-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
Drbrown

Not related to your hard starting problem but your group of (slightly) lower (10 to 12%) compression test results on the right side MIGHT relate to a poor head gasket there. Probably not worth addressing unless those numbers decrease in the future.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Not related to your hard starting problem but your group of (slightly) lower (10 to 12%) compression test results on the right side MIGHT relate to a poor head gasket there. Probably not worth addressing unless those numbers decrease in the future.
Thanks I kinda thought that too------------
Old 10-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Thanks I kinda thought that too------------
I would find it odd that all four cylinders would have the same lower reading due to a bad head gasket.

Usually one of two cylinders are bad (leaking between them). I've never seen four cylinders go bad . . . and if bad, they are usually REALLY bad. Just my observations . . . not trying to step on toes.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I would find it odd that all four cylinders would have the same lower reading due to a bad head gasket.

Usually one of two cylinders are bad (leaking between them). I've never seen four cylinders go bad . . . and if bad, they are usually REALLY bad. Just my observations . . . not trying to step on toes.

B&S
Not stepping on any toes here I appreciate all the comments !
Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
Lanny

Maybe a re torque of the right side head bolts might help.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
robert dick

Just wondering why it seems that nowadays no one does both a dry and wet compression test,when i was turning wrenches my service mangr. would insist on both, as well as did the factory( jaguar and maserati)
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #19
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert dick View Post
Just wondering why it seems that nowadays no one does both a dry and wet compression test,when i was turning wrenches my service mangr. would insist on both, as well as did the factory( jaguar and maserati)
Robert, not familiar with a wet test I assume some motor oil down each cylinder?? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That would be the case, the oil improves the seal of the rings and will increase the reads on an engine with weak ring seal.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #21
daveymc29

As I recall, a little motor oil down the spark plug hole between tests will tell you if the rings are the culprit for lower readings.If the readings come up significantly you may wish to investigate further, but if I had your readings, I would look elsewhere first. But what do I know, I'm into A models now, Get 94 in all four holes without oil. Good luck
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #22
Drbrown

I agree with Bored&Stroked .... it would be unlikely that a head gasket problem would encompass at all four cylinders. Also, given the relative uniformity of the right and left bank readings one could, at this point, assume that valve train problems are not involved (pending further testing).

That leads me to support Lanny's suggestion to check/re-torque that head to spec. Actually, if one really wanted to approach this more accurately (IMHO) one might go so far as to check/re-torque BOTH heads and then per Jseery, robert dick, daveymc29, re-test all cylinders using the so-called dry and wet method.

I assume (1) both heads are matching original to your engine, (2) one head has not been milled/surfaced where as the other was, (3) all cylinders are the same bore, and (4) the all piston rings match regarding age.

If you do re-torque and re-test please let us know the results.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
BlueSunoco

DR I will do this and let you fellows know what I found thanks.