Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #41
marc hildebrant

Default Re: What's left to check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
Yeah, I have a 12V transformer I could use with the timing light. I was just stalling because I know I have an old BMW 6V one around here someplace (probably right next to the set of ignition wrenches I also can't find). I was just waiting for it to resurface.
Transformers only work using AC (Alternating Current). A Battery is DC (Direct Current).

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #42
Skeezixx

Well I'm happy to report that my roadster is once again purring like a kitten and it's thanks to a fellow barner who divined the problem and it's unbelievably simple solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
loosen the gas cap.
Bob
Thanks Bob.

In November I had a club tour of about 40 miles and it ran flawlessly. Before embarking on the tour though I had filled the tank so high that when my passenger entered the car it tilted and I saw gas flowing down the right side of my cowl. I noticed my gas cap had no gasket in it so, when I got home I ordered a new gasket from Snyders.
I installed it a few days later and forgot about it. The next time I tried to start the car (about 2 weeks later) is when my problem started.

Taking Brentwood Bob's sage advice I removed the gasket and the car started right up and ran merrily as ever.

Had it not been for The Ford Barn I, and several other members in my chapter, would still be replacing the same parts over and over and scratching our heads.

Thanks guys!
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #43
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
I had opportunity to visit the car briefly earlier today. I found a very intermittent spark from the coil. Going to change the coil and see what happens.
Quote:
Replaced the coil with a new 6V one from O'Reillys and though the wire on the + side is hot I get no spark from the coil.

glad you got it going...

the info you received was based upon the test results you provided to us. thats the first time for me that a gas cap not venting created a no spark condition

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-22-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #44
Brentwood Bob

There could also be poor ground, or wiring issues.
One annual maintence tip I read is to go thru the connections and make sure the contacts are brite and tight. Especially if you live with humidity thru at least part of the year.
In rochester, minnesota you could cut the air with a knife in the summer.
Glad to hear the outcome, pass it on.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #45
Skeezixx

It wasn't the gas cap causing the no spark Mitch. It was all my panicky gyrations switching parts that exacerbated the situation. As I stated in the original post I suspected a fuel flow problem but after changing out the carburetor four times and making sure the screens were clean I thought I had eliminated the problem as fuel related. From there I managed to create more problems assuming that if not fuel it must be spark. It was also then that I consulted the Oracles on Ford Barn.
It started off simple and I made it worse. I seem to have a great talent for that.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #46
Skeezixx

I'm in New Orleans Bob. We have 100% humidity all year. Checking wire connections here is wise counsel indeed.