Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
vinnievavoom

Default 1948 Ford Covertable

I am in the process of putting the top iron in on my 48 ford and noticed that the rear quarter windows will not wind up all the way closed- they hit the top irons !! There seems not to be any adjustment to lower the window down in the opening--What am I doing wrong--Going crazy trying to figure this out--The top iron can only go in one way-no adjustment on them--sooooo it must be the windows--They crank up and down smooth with the top iron down--but when you close the top --they hit the irons--Can anyone shed some light on this subject??? Thanks Vince
vinnievavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
bo8109b

Default Re: 1948 Ford Covertable

The top irons are adjustable if you have the proper off center shoulder bolts. With those you are able to change the height of the irons to clear the quarter windows enabling them to be fully opened. Takes a ton of patience to get every thing aligned over the door windows as well. Hang in there.
bo8109b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
bill h

There is also some adj. of the 1/4 window itself.At the top of the door post there is 3 steel plugs. If you pop out the plugs there is 3 nuts that hold in the window. loosen the nuts. There is some movement. there. For whats it worth my windows are very tight going up and down. I usually pop the latches to move the windows. I have spent hours adj. the roof and windows. Still too tight. Could be in the weatherstrips.
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Vic Piano

Our '47 Convertible quarter windows act the same way as bill h described... I also pop the latches to put the quarter windows up... My dad had two '47 Ford Convertibles new (the first one got wrecked after about two months) he told me that the quarter windows never worked well in either car...???