Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2024, 06:22 PM   #21
cadillac512

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

From the condition of the three pictured choices, and keeping the intended use in mind, I'd go with the 8BA.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #22
tubman

This brings to mind the issues of new lifters on a used cam. This is generally considered to be OK as long as the cam is in good shape. In the final analysis, you can try anything, but using mixed parts can sometimes end up in not a good way.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:55 PM   #23
GB SISSON

'Repair Manual'
'Ford and Mercury V8 Engines 78-81A-59A series
1937 to 1948 Pass. Cars
1937 to 1947 Trucks' 3666-48D

Printed June 18. 1948 by Ford Motor Company, lists the fits and tolerances, along with their recomended wear limits when repairing their V8 using various combinations of used parts in conjunction with new parts. This book was intended for use by Ford service mechanics in their facility. I plan to use this book as my reference, as I have many times in the past when dealing with using new parts alongside old parts. I will venture that many engines today are built with brand new shiney parts from the the major supply houses that might very well have come in from all over the globe. There is always the chance that the materials and workmanship might not be as good as what Henry specified, so for me, I prefer a measured and inspected used Ford part.(not to mention I have buckets of them). When asked about valves, Les told me the Ford valves are excellent and what to look for when I dump out my 2 coffee cans full.
I still have a lot of questions about oil pumps, truck oil pans, truck water pumps, tin foil balls, original Ford lifters and grinding stems, cleaning out the crank oil passages, cam gears (I have seven), crank gears, baffles, etc. I'm quite set on a stock merc or 8ba cam, though many have tried to sway me into being a 'hot rodder', I happily remain a 'brown shoed square'. Your's truly, GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:22 PM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This brings to mind the issues of new lifters on a used cam. This is generally considered to be OK as long as the cam is in good shape. In the final analysis, you can try anything, but using mixed parts can sometimes end up in not a good way.
It also has to do with spring pressure. If you're running a stock cam, you only need about 45 -50 lbs (max) of spring pressure . . . so that tends to be a bit more forgiving when using older lifters. BUT, you want to check the bottoms of the lifters - they should have a very slight convex "crown" on them. If not, then you might want to get them resurfaced.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:41 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Thanks, I'm still a bit up in the air about lifters. I have 2 complete sets of old Johnsons. One from a cracked block tear down and one set from a swap meet. I ended up with 2 of the same sioux valve face surfacers (both were given to me) I have been swapping parts around and will end up with a really nice one. Been experimenting with the stem grinding and it is very satisfying. I can see this becoming like a 'which cam?' thread, so in the end I alone will have to decide. I have been out in the shop this morning messing with cleaning up cams on my lathe. Ford's book says to discard a cam with journals less than 1.7955. My new inserted bearings are 1.799. Right now I am of course walking the line between nicely polished journals and too small. Lastly, what does anyone know about an 8RT cam? NOS Ford in cosmoline are available for less than 200 bucks. (military?) Very little written about them on the web, but most say they think it's same as 8BA.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-23-2024, 03:03 PM   #26
rysemus

I had Les, great guy to work with, do all the machine work on my 59a block. He sourced the same pistons in the your photo for my build. I highly recommend disassembling them for a full cleaning. My had a large amount of aluminum chips under the wrist pin area. It hard to see but check with a finger.

Rick
rysemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:50 PM   #27
Ol' Ron

Now that you have the cam selected ( I like the EAB cam) find a set of EAB heads and mill for 40/45 piston to head clearance, Lot of things tot hink o f here. Good luck
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:27 PM   #28
cadillac512

Quote from Gary's initial post:
" I have a lot of preferences already and my desired end result may very well be miles away from what a 'normal' V8er is looking for in his build. 98% of my driving will be under 40 mph on a very hilly 58 square mile island. This woodie has very little to do with overdrive, high speed, hot cams, or any speed equipment for that matter. It has everything to do with serviceability, low end torque for the hills, smoooooth idle, and as always, that elusive 'built on a shoestring' budget."

Based on that, any cam other than stock would (in my opinion and experience) be a waste and quite possibly detrimental. An 8BA or 8RT will run beautifully in that application. Getting piston to head clearance as close to .040" as I could?....I'd be all about getting that done.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:43 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysemus View Post
I had Les, great guy to work with, do all the machine work on my 59a block. He sourced the same pistons in the your photo for my build. I highly recommend disassembling them for a full cleaning. My had a large amount of aluminum chips under the wrist pin area. It hard to see but check with a finger.

Rick
Thank you Rick, I will certainly do that. Once again 'Offshore' parts, rear their ugly heads. Les has a sign in the shop that says they will only build with parts sold by the 'Carquest' store out front. Let me be the first to welcome to the barn, neighbor! And Terry, thanks for the quote and 'getting' what I am planning to build here.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-23-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:11 PM   #30
38 coupe

I suspect the 8RT cam is either the same as the 8BA cam, or is the older 37-48 grind. I would check the 8BA and the EAB cams for condition and if either are good use them first, with preference on the 8BA cam. No need to spend another $200 you don't need (that will be used for water pumps, gaskets, or some other necessity). Post the journal diameters and we can keep offering opinions. You definitely want good cam to bearing clearances as that directly affects engine oil pressure.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:51 PM   #31
GB SISSON

And I watch my oil pressure like a hawk. Ask my kids... On long driving vacations (every family car we owned had high mileage), my mood would revolve around the oil pressure I was seeing on the aftermarket gauge. Here are some photos from this morning's adventure in cam cleaning. I mic'd the heel/toe dimension before and after sanding with 600/800/1000/1200 wet dry with MMO for lubricant. This gave a surface I could live with for the lobes, The journals took a lot less work. I downshifted the lathe into back gear on the lowest of 4 belt speeds and was at 35 rpm. The journals remained constant at 1.795-1.796. But get this..... Using my dial indicator with cam in the lathe(not running) I found .341 gross lift on the ones I had not surfaced, and gross lift on the two I completed to my satisfaction I had a gross lift of .338 and .339. I knew my method would take more off the toe as the oak splint exerted the greatest spring pressure at that point. Must be why someone altered the EA designation. Anybody want this thing? Unfortunately the other 2 cams have similar sized journals. I already have gaskets, can I buy that nos 8rt cam?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam hi lift.jpg (74.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Cam EAA.jpg (62.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg cam lathe polish.jpg (124.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 03-23-2024, 08:13 PM   #32
flatford8

It don’t matter where you live……..I’m calling that Yankee Ingenuity! …….Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 08:17 PM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And I watch my oil pressure like a hawk. Ask my kids... On long driving vacations (every family car we owned had high mileage), my mood would revolve around the oil pressure I was seeing on the aftermarket gauge. Here are some photos from this morning's adventure in cam cleaning. I mic'd the heel/toe dimension before and after sanding with 600/800/1000/1200 wet dry with MMO for lubricant. This gave a surface I could live with for the lobes, The journals took a lot less work. I downshifted the lathe into back gear on the lowest of 4 belt speeds and was at 35 rpm. The journals remained constant at 1.795-1.796. But get this..... Using my dial indicator with cam in the lathe(not running) I found .341 gross lift on the ones I had not surfaced, and gross lift on the two I completed to my satisfaction I had a gross lift of .338 and .339. I knew my method would take more off the toe as the oak splint exerted the greatest spring pressure at that point. Must be why someone altered the EA designation. Anybody want this thing? Unfortunately the other 2 cams have similar sized journals. I already have gaskets, can I buy that nos 8rt cam?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:29 PM   #34
flatjack9

Quote:
Thanks, I'm still a bit up in the air about lifters. I have 2 complete sets of old Johnsons. One from a cracked block tear down and one set from a swap meet. I ended up with 2 of the same sioux valve face surfacers (both were given to me) I have been swapping parts around and will end up with a really nice one. Been experimenting with the stem grinding and it is very satisfying. I can see this becoming like a 'which cam?' thread, so in the end I alone will have to decide. I have been out in the shop this morning messing with cleaning up cams on my lathe. Ford's book says to discard a cam with journals less than 1.7955. My new inserted bearings are 1.799. Right now I am of course walking the line between nicely polished journals and too small. Lastly, what does anyone know about an 8RT cam? NOS Ford in cosmoline are available for less than 200 bucks. (military?) Very little written about them on the web, but most say they think it's same as 8BA.
I have never seen a cam with 8RT markings on it.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:33 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
It don’t matter where you live……..I’m calling that Yankee Ingenuity! …….Mark
Wow Pete! You make me look like a photographer. And Mark, yes I was born in Seattle soon after my YANKEE parents moved there from SE Massachusetts, leaving behind many generations of Sissons. My dad had a little sign in his workshop that read:

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or do without

He claimed it was the true New England yankee creed.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:39 PM   #36
oldbugger

Sounds like the same thing my Dutch Dad told me
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:04 AM   #37
GB SISSON

I now see that someone got the last one of those cosmoline coated camshafts this morning. Oh wait, it was me, earlier today. And flatjack, I don't know if it has '8RT' markings on the camshaft itself. I guess we'll find out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393197818167
Old 03-24-2024, 12:28 AM   #38
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Now that you have the cam selected ( I like the EAB cam) find a set of EAB heads and mill for 40/45 piston to head clearance, Lot of things tot hink o f here. Good luck
Gramps
Thanks Ron, I dug out a couple sets of those from my stack last winter. I set aside the best looking pair on a dedicated shelf where I have been stockpiling everything I need for this engine. It's starting to get exciting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAB heads.jpg (149.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-24-2024, 12:29 AM   #39
petehoovie

Quote:
I now see that someone got the last one of those cosmoline coated camshafts this morning. Oh wait, it was me, earlier today. And flatjack, I don't know if it has '8RT' markings on the camshaft itself. I guess we'll find out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393197818167

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 03-24-2024, 12:33 AM   #40
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks Ron, I dug out a couple sets of those from my stack last winter. I set aside the best looking pair on a dedicated shelf where I have been stockpiling everything I need for this engine. It's starting to get exciting.