Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: fuel pump removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I used to only use straight 30 diesel in florida. Mn I use 10-40. When it's hot you see a bit of drop. But nothing like going from 80 to 20. Or an increase really that drastic either. Maybe with the thicker oil overall over 5-10 psi. Hot.

Standard Flatheads are a low oil pressure system. If you are above 0 hot you are okay really, 10+ better. Ya high pressures rush oil over bearings to my understanding. Old oil can be abrasive.
The O/P has a '52 Mercury. The factory specified oil pressure at 40 MPH is 57 psi. I would be concerned with any rebuilt 8BA that had less than 25 psi at hot idle.

To the O/P : I would be concerned with the 80 psi oil pressure and would not run the engine for any length until I had investigated it fully. At the very least, there is a problem with the relief valve in the oil pump and would be suspicious of the "90% conversion". I went through hell with a rebuilt 327 SBC that the builder did me the "favor" of installing a HV/HP oil pump. I had the engine apart twice solving the problem. Luckily, I caught it in time.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #22
Tinker

I was also talking hot idle. Should have said idle, not underload. I agree 80 is high. To me even on a 8ba if you have oil pressure. your good to go.

I also don't think you have to tear down a runner, if it runs fine and you have less then expected oil pressure.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-22-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek costello View Post
When I removed my pump and installed an electric unit I had also upgraded my oiling system to 95% filtered.
This left me with no pushrod in the pump bushing, with the engine turning rapidly
on the starter (no plugs, 6volt starter on 12) It shows 25psi..With the plug I made from a 7/16" bolt an O ring and spring I now have 80psi !!
see pictures............
Quote:
1952 mercury truck 255 cid it has factory bushing in fuel pump push rod hole.....
Quote:
New gage and sender, The guy I bought the engine from started it up for me on an engine stand with a mechanical gage and it read 80psi. I has heavy oil in it and it is cold!
Couple questions:

1.) What did the previous owner(s), who had this engine running for you on a stand, do or have done to this engine before they sold it to you?

2.) Do you know which oil pump is currently in this engine? Is it the original pump that was installed on this engine at the factory, or a replacement pump with standard pressure and volume of flow like Ford originally used when engine was built at the factory, or is this a high volume, high flow 80 psi pump that might normally be used in a race engine with greater bearing clearances?

3.) If you did a 95% oil flow conversion....which of the three oil ports on the back of the engine are you using for your oil pressure gauge?

As other's posting here have already mentioned, carefully check over that 95% oil flow system....the problem could be in that installation. Also, depending on which 95% system you used...if you have the oil ports temporarily blocked off where the remote oil filter lines are attached, you may not be getting oil flow to all the mains/crankshaft bearings. If this is the case, and engine is run too long, you will most likely destroy some bearings There are previous posts here with some sad stories on this one.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote