Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #41
whizzernick

Default Re: copper fuel lines GOOD or BAD

OK if I took a pole . I think steel fuel line would win over copper . BUT just that all car companies use steel dosent answer WHY is copper so bad .......I know a lot of people on this site use copper and also a lot of people wont use it . So back to the original question: What is wrong with copper as a fuel line??????????? WHAT is Kunifer?????
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #42
BLACKNRED

Quite simply, over time copper will work harden and crack. typically around a fitting and usually where the main vibration is emanating, at the engine and at the tank.

Clearly any fuel leak can cause issues in relation to fire.

I do not believe there are any issues with chemical reactions between the copper and fuel and from a pressure viewpoint I do not think you would have an issue. Personally I would use copper coated bundy tube.
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #43
BILL WZOREK

Whizzernick:

FRUSTRATING trying to get a straight answer sometimes isn't it.
I Danced the dance the other day when I asked if some one could get me the operating temp of there shocks.
I had 36 replays and only 1 person gave me a temp reading.

I don't have a exact answer other then being taught that copper tubing will work harden over time & crack or even break right off.

So I guess your options are :
Use copper tubing !!!
Don't use copper tubing !!!
Find out about Kunifer Tubing ( Good luck there) !!!
use steel line !!!

I think One way to find out would be to contact a insurance company like "Hagerity"
And ask them if they would Insure a Classic or Old car knowing that it had coper tubing for a gas line.
If they say NO ask them why????
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
OK, So back to the original question: What is wrong with copper as a fuel line??????????? WHAT is Kunifer?????
Only thing wrong with copper as a fuel line is that WHEN it DOES fatigue-crack, it usually sprays fuel (under pressure) onto an ignition source such as hot engine, spark plugs, etc. (obvious result). Only thing wrong with copper brake line is that when it DOES burst from the tremendous working pressures realized in brake systems, it suddenly allows the hydraulic fluid (and pressure) to be on the OUTSIDE of the tubing, rather than INSIDE where it does the work. Otherwise, copper is cool stuff...pretty simple, really. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #45
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Blucar
It's those Chevy's. Happens every time.
Happy New Year
Jim
Actually it was not the Chevy's fault that some idiot mechanic used copper in lieu of steel for the lines that broke.. The soft copper cant take the vibration like steel can...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #46
blucar

Interesting subject.. It would appear that approximately 50% of the contributors say don't use cooper for fuel/brake lines, where-as 50% say to use copper.. It might be said that the rule of thumb is, "don't confuse me with facts, I have my mind made up".
On the subject of common use of copper for piping lines on compressors, either air or refrigerant..
My thoughts are, I have never seen a refrigerator or and air compressor traveling down the road/Interstate at 60 + mph, then the traffic comes to a complete halt in a wink of an eye, very quickly resumes speed, only to come to a complete sudden stop again...
Of course if a car is used on nothing but city streets, parades, and/or driving to the local malt shop once a month, have at the easy to bend, route copper lines..
I am quite sure that if a broken copper fuel line resulted in a vehicle fire, or the loss of braking, that resulted in a serious accident, the insurance company would say, Sorry!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #47
ford3

the issue of copper for fuel lines is really a non issue,car manufactures do not use it for fuel lines, isnt that enough reason not to use it?
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #48
ken ct
BANNED

Copper will crack but steel will rot. Only 1 of many opinons, ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #49
frenchy dehoux

I have copper fuel line I bought at my local ACE hardware and never had a problem.

Frenchy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Hot Rod Chassis Engine 003.jpg (218.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Hot Rod Chassis Engine 009.jpg (246.4 KB, 31 views)
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #50
joe plumber

Read the manufactures specs on the type and grade of copper you are using .Having spent 45 years in the P/Hvac trades , copper would not be my choice .A lot of things and products have changed since our vehicles were manufactured.Seems like there is never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do the job right the next time .jmo
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #51
ford38v8

Here's a good reason why not to use copper lines: The attorney representing an injured party will have access to the many Fordbarn threads dealing with the safety question of copper fuel and brake lines!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #52
deuce_roadster

Yeah, what would Lawson Cox have to say if representing a maimed client or the estate of a deceased person who was injured because of the use of non standard items on a vehicle, installed by the owner?? And if your liability insurance said-sorry, we won't stand behind you, then what??
Why anyone would use less then the best available of anything where safety is concerned is a mystery to me. A lot of this reminds me of the cars built in the 50s, most were unsafe, backyard hacked together messes.
I believe it was Chuck Yeager who said "Never wait for trouble". (Even if it was in a GM ad)
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #53
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Yeah, what would Lawson Cox have to say if representing a maimed client or the estate of a deceased person who was injured because of the use of non standard items on a vehicle, installed by the owner?? And if your liability insurance said-sorry, we won't stand behind you, then what??
Why anyone would use less then the best available of anything where safety is concerned is a mystery to me. A lot of this reminds me of the cars built in the 50s, most were unsafe, backyard hacked together messes.
I believe it was Chuck Yeager who said "Never wait for trouble". (Even if it was in a GM ad)
For those waiting for trouble ,please list me as your beneficiary on your life insurance policy.

Last edited by joe plumber; 01-02-2014 at 07:12 PM.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #54
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Deuce, I always enjoy reading your posts. You bring not only well thought out advice to the proverbial table but you obviously possess much common sense.
There are no other reasons for installing copper lines other than 1) lazy and / or 2) cheap and / or 3) simply ignorant of the possible issues.
I've said it more than once on posts regarding "copper vs' steel" threads: do it once, do it right.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #55
37 Coupe

The guys who use copper for fuel lines instead of copper coated steel probably ate chicken instead of sauerkraut yesterday.Wait a minute wrong post
Old 01-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #56
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy dehoux View Post
I have copper fuel line I bought at my local ACE hardware and never had a problem.

Frenchy
You can have SEX with out protection also / But sooner or later
you have to pay child support ...................................
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #57
Vic Piano

Bill, that's what I call "drawing a new parallel" for a comparison...
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #58
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
OK if I took a pole . I think steel fuel line would win over copper . BUT just that all car companies use steel dosent answer WHY is copper so bad .......I know a lot of people on this site use copper and also a lot of people wont use it . So back to the original question: What is wrong with copper as a fuel line??????????? WHAT is Kunifer?????
You may be seeking an answer with more of a metallurgical bent (excuse the pun). My tuppence h'penny's worth is; some reasonable arguments have been made for copper, and some better arguments have been made for alloys or coated steel. A factor that cannot be ignored is safety, and these days that word begins with a capital S.

If you continue to seek a definitive explanation regarding the use of copper, my suggestion would be to seek the advice of a Metallurgist. There are many websites available to you and Google will take you there. However I believe you will have the opinions of many here confirmed when they say, the automotive industry does not use copper for fuel lines.

I will be delighted to read your next post, and wait for you to tell us what you have discovered.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #59
49r

The 80+ year old Tiger Moth aircraft has a copper fuel line from the gravity tank to the fuel filter. Issues due to work hardening don't arise because it is a requirement that they are annealed annually.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #60
Mike B

With all the talk of the copper line, and being it's known that Ford used a copper coated line...is the idea behind running a copper line for the "look" of original?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote