Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2024, 08:47 PM   #1
1912Krit

Default Rear backing plate order of assembly

Gents

Please advise the best order of assembly.

I had rear brakes/backing plates rebuilt by Randy Gross - great job and amazingly fast turnaround! Thanks Randy.

So now I have the rear radius rods off, the brake backing plate assembly off, and the rear spring shackles off. I had broken and split perches which had to be repaired necessitating the removal of the 2 axle housings.

Now to reassemble:

Not sure if I put radius rods in position first, then attach spring and shackles, then backing plates. But then the rods have to be removed to slide past levers on backing plates. Rear spring is still bolted up tight in the crossmember.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Don
1912Krit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:54 AM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Rear backing plate order of assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1912Krit View Post
Gents

Please advise the best order of assembly.

I had rear brakes/backing plates rebuilt by Randy Gross - great job and amazingly fast turnaround! Thanks Randy.

So now I have the rear radius rods off, the brake backing plate assembly off, and the rear spring shackles off. I had broken and split perches which had to be repaired necessitating the removal of the 2 axle housings.

Now to reassemble:

Not sure if I put radius rods in position first, then attach spring and shackles, then backing plates. But then the rods have to be removed to slide past levers on backing plates. Rear spring is still bolted up tight in the crossmember.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Don
Don - Spring and shackles are independent of the backing plates. I just did mine last week as follows:

Take banjo+axle housings+torque tube+internals. Add backing plates using the two rear (short) bolts, loosely tightened. Add radius rods using long bolts, loosely tightened. The rear ends of the radius rods thread between the backing plate and the brake actuating arms. Add the front bolt tying the radius rods to the front of the torque tube, loosely fastened. Tighten everything and add cotter pins. Don't forget the cotter pins on the backing plate bolts (the ones underneath the emergency brake assembly are a bi**h to get to).

Then get the whole shebang into the car with the driveshaft onto the universal joint. lift it into position, spread the spring and add in the shackles. (This is NOT an easy one-person job, get some help!) If you find inserting the shackles difficult, spread the spring some more. If it's still difficult, spread the spring some more. Repeat as necessary. Eventually you will find the sweet spot where the shackles just slip into the bushings. (Shackles go in from the rear, nuts on the front.) Since you had your spring perches rebuilt you might dry fit the shackles first to make sure they slide in OK before adding in the complication of the spring.

Don't forget to reinstall the clamshell.

Hope this helps.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 04-15-2024 at 12:00 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM   #3
1912Krit

Default Re: Rear backing plate order of assembly

Thanks JayJay. This was the key element that I needed "Add backing plates using the two rear (short) bolts, loosely tightened" to know first step. Thanks very much for your thoughtful response.
Don
1912Krit is offline   Reply With Quote