Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Wiggles

Default Tire Shopping Questions

Hey everybody!

SO- I'm at the point where it's time to get some tires on the 52 F1. Stock 16" rims.

I love the original look of the bias ply tires, but wouldn't mind running radials for the obvious reasons.

The Coker bias look radials are way out of my price range- Wondering if anyone out there has a more affordable alternative radial which still looks the part of the original 650/16s.

...And one more Q- Are radials harder to turn at slow speeds than Bias plys? like in parking situations?

Thanks for any info!

Jeff
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Tire Shopping Questions

I put regular 16" radials on my '48 f-1. Standard tire on my Astro van 2003. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Unfortunatley, I don't think there is a cheap or affordable solution to any tire purchase. Radials will give you a better ride. I have never noticed any turning at slow speeds problems with the Diamondback or Coker radials.

None of the bias-ply looking radials are close to the look of the bias ply tries Ford put on their cars when new. Not even slightly close. Of the radials that are available I prefer the look of the Diamonback Auburn radial. It's not the perfect look, perhaps the best look for what's available. I'll further opine and say black walls look best on most all cars and pickups unless it's some certain open cars. Pre-war cars...black walls are it for me. I'd like to remove the white walls from my '31 Victoria .
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
A bones

Black walls are more practical
Old 03-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #5
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
Hey everybody!

SO- I'm at the point where it's time to get some tires on the 52 F1. Stock 16" rims.

I love the original look of the bias ply tires, but wouldn't mind running radials for the obvious reasons.

The Coker bias look radials are way out of my price range- Wondering if anyone out there has a more affordable alternative radial which still looks the part of the original 650/16s.

...And one more Q- Are radials harder to turn at slow speeds than Bias plys? like in parking situations?

Thanks for any info!

Jeff
Actually I found the car steers easier with the radials. In regards to your tires why not go to your local tire store and see what they have in 16" blackwalls. You may find something that looks good and will probably be cheaper than any specialty tire company. Check e-Bay for 225X75x16 or 235x75x16 tires or 235x80 series and you can see the tread design and also the prices.

Last edited by TJ; 03-08-2023 at 04:56 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I run 215 85r 16 radials on my woodie wagon that was built on a '47 1/2 ton chassis. This is a very common size for dually pickups and they have a tall and narrow profile. I prefer that look over today's car tires. Handles and steers far better than the bias ply 6.50x16s that I started with. They will be a load range D or E, but radials still have that soft sidewall so ride is just right for a pickup, and you won't overload your tires when hauling firewood or building materials. I could get some pics tomorrow if you'd like.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:10 PM   #7
38 coupe

Like GB, I too like 215 / 85 R16 blackwall radials on trucks.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Here are a couple of photos of what the bias-ply tires looked like, pre-war. If I were going to the expense of making a mold for a bias-ply looking radial, why not make it authentic looking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire1.jpg (95.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg tire2.jpg (88.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg tire3.jpg (80.8 KB, 32 views)
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #9
Wiggles

Thanks you guys- This is all great info- Going with the radials for sure now. The roads out here are a constant uneven mess and I want to travel in this thing!

Cheers!

Jeff
Old 03-09-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
Wiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I run 215 85r 16 radials on my woodie wagon that was built on a '47 1/2 ton chassis. This is a very common size for dually pickups and they have a tall and narrow profile. I prefer that look over today's car tires. Handles and steers far better than the bias ply 6.50x16s that I started with. They will be a load range D or E, but radials still have that soft sidewall so ride is just right for a pickup, and you won't overload your tires when hauling firewood or building materials. I could get some pics tomorrow if you'd like.
Thanks GB!
Old 03-09-2023, 10:57 AM   #11
Wiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Actually I found the car steers easier with the radials. In regards to your tires why not go to your local tire store and see what they have in 16" blackwalls. You may find something that looks good and will probably be cheaper than any specialty tire company. Check e-Bay for 225X75x16 or 235x75x16 tires or 235x80 series and you can see the tread design and also the prices.
Thank you TJ
Old 03-09-2023, 11:01 AM   #12
Wiggles

Hey real quick- Is a 10 ply truck tire too much tire for a pickup?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
Ray Balukas

I agree with Seth! Love my Diamondback Auburn
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
I have an unmounted set to toyo M55 mud and snows I'm gonna mount on the rear and they are 8 ply 'rating', or load range D. Sidewalls are 2 plies. 6.50 x 16 pickup tires were more often than not a 6 [ply. And the sidewalls were extremely stiff. Those that know me know I am very 'thrifty' with my builds and of course all thse 215s were bought either on CL or the used tire places on the mainland. The matched set on the wagon were 125.00 for all four, so that's part of the equation as well. Cheap. I saw a set of the diamondbacks mounted on a friend's car and though it's true they don't look exactly like the old bias ply, I loved the look, (but they weren't 31.25 apiece.) ... Here's a video I posted a couple months ago and it shows the 215s from various angles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImLKItBhvI
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #15
Wiggles

Gee Whiz GB that truck is beautiful! Bravo on the woodwork!

Thanks for the info- The 215s would look perfectly normal to anybody not obsessing over the Bias Ply look
Old 03-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #16
GB SISSON

My whole place is decorated with tall skinny bias ply tires. I sort of hoard them... When my kids were small we had a tire swing right in front of the house and I insisted on a 19" tire from a model A. Anyone who looks at the background in The Waltons knows the look.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:30 PM   #17
5851a

On my more modern 58, I borrowed a set of radials from a friend with same model to go through inspection. I had heard about the hard turning and such. It was almost like I had power steering, not exactly, but was big improvement over bias.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Our '36 PU is running bias ply tires and they work fine. They are old, I ordered a new set of Goodyear Diamond Treads back in October and they are still on back order. The set now are a farm tire brand 'PowerTrac' something like that. Made in USA back then but made in Chi-naw now. No way I want that.

Radials would be OK depends upon your situation. For as few actual miles as I put on any of our antique Fords per year, they run out of 'time' on age, long before they wear out. So for me it isn't worth the extra expense of radial tires. Radials 'age out' like any other tire does and needs replaced.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:44 PM   #19
TJ

Quote:
10 ply may be a bit too much for your pickup.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote