Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: crab dist parts Q...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Mart,
Thanks for confirming that that brown color inside my crab cap is not just someone messing with paint !

I guess that there is no one in the Ford world who knows the 'skinny' on why these caps are BROWN inside, and/or if that paint was some kind of improvement..against say carbon tracking/whatever! Guess we'll never know,eh.

Actually the brown paint is a "dielectric" and is used in lots of old distributors by many companies.
Helped prevent spark arch over and carbon tracking...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Actually the brown paint is a "dielectric" and is used in lots of old distributors by many companies.
Helped prevent spark arch over and carbon tracking...
Thanks much! Hm , learn something new every day!
So, am I doing the ok thing when I use 'dielectric' grease on all of my electrical contacts, i.e.- rotor end; cap contacts, wire ends; etc ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
barnfind08

just got back
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
42merc

Quote:
There seems to be two crabs out there from 42 to 48 , one is aluminum and the other is cast iron.
I believe ( someone may know) that the cast iron ones are truck units from a given model year, the inside seems to all be 11A units and offer 11 degrees of advance or 22 degrees of engine advance curve.

The stock springs ( assuming they are in good shape and havent been modified etc) work very well with a slight drag on the vacuum brake.
Could very well be one of the best Ford ever used especially after a complete clean and lube. The best most accurate adjustment is on a distributor machine running at approx 2000 rpm..
A number of years ago, Carpenter was selling NOS '42-'44 cast iron distributors, said at the time they were military surplus. I bought one then (about 198?) just today transferred it to another engine.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
3quarter32

I am having the same problem, breaking rotors, or cracking them. I see somebody said file off .020 and another says .125. That is quite a difference. Will it still jump spark at .125? Not knockin it, just like to know how much is too much.
Thanks, Lee
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #26
hardtimes

42merc,
Iron....Interesting and pics to share, never seen one! Does the iron dist have any advantages over the aluminum dist ?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #27
ken ct
BANNED

Ive had a dozen of them over the yrs and they rebuild well,accuately more resistent to nicks and burrs around the edges where the cap fits which have to be filed off on alum ones.Would rather work on those than alum ones. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I wouldn't use dielectric on any high voltage eg inside the distributor .I would go along with sometimes using the old parts polish up the points on .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard times View Post
So, am I doing the ok thing when I use 'dielectric' grease on all of my electrical contacts, i.e.- rotor end; cap contacts, wire ends; etc ?
Ford recommends 1/32 clearance on the rotor so the coser the better .trial and error
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3quarter32 View Post
I am having the same problem, breaking rotors, or cracking them. I see somebody said file off .020 and another says .125. That is quite a difference. Will it still jump spark at .125? Not knockin it, just like to know how much is too much.
Thanks, Lee

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
3quarter32

I took off the distributor, put a thin layer of clay on the lower contacts of the cap. Rotated the cam by hand and felt some resistance, other than points functioning. When I removed the cap, I found the rotor was hitting #4 and #8 contacts on the cap. I removed about .020 from the end of the rotor, and no more interference.
Going to replace cap and rotor, but will repeat process before firing up the engine again. Also, I did not have the gasket for the cap.
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Iron crabs were I believe Canadian, and lots of Canadian military parts reached Carpenter and others from WWII Indian army stocks.
The innards seldom need replacement, just careful cleaning and lubing.
Coupla things...be sure to slide the cam off of shaft, clean and lube where it pivots. This area MUST move, and it is oft stuck with petrified grease.
The front bearing is lubed through hollow felt filled shaft from rear bearing area...after you have cleaned the shaft that area will be full of murky solvent and it will be a long time before it cooks and oozes out to be replaced by oil.
I simply put mine on top of the exhaust from house water heater until solvent has evaporated through the itty bitty holes.

(the various cap gaskets in the Ford schematic generally cannot be used with non-original caps)
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
BUBBAS IGNITION

Bruce ,

The front bearing is lubed through hollow felt filled shaft from rear bearing area...after you have cleaned the shaft that area will be full of murky solvent and it will be a long time before it cooks and oozes out to be replaced by oil.

We actually remove the felt and clean and relube it....a real pain but we feel its worth it...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3quarter32 View Post
Thanks, Lee
.020-.o30 is plenty , i mistakenly said .125 thats 1/8 of a inch and too much for sure.
It should jump the .030 with no problems at all.......
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Yes dielectric should be used at every connection as well as spraying WD40 on the cap and wires to help water/moisture proof the system...inside the distributor as well as outside....
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
42merc,
Iron....Interesting and pics to share, never seen one! Does the iron dist have any advantages over the aluminum dist ?
I've had a few of them in my time . I have 2 right now. I've always liked them, thay seem to be rugged and never worn out. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #35
37fordpickup

Bubba rebuilt 2 for my 37 and they look great. One of these days I'll get to start the damn thing too.

Quote:
I've taken several pics of a 'crab' dist. Need source of parts to 'rebuild'.
Are there any parts vendors for this type dist?

Also, the inside of the black cap is brown colored...is this normal or what's up with this?
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
nostalgia59

Quote:
.020-.o30 is plenty , i mistakenly said .125 thats 1/8 of a inch and too much for sure.
It should jump the .030 with no problems at all.......

I just looked at mine again after 100 miles and decided to take another .005 off the rotor. I could still see slight contact on the cap terminals. Started by taking .020 and now another .005. I also found a NOS mallory crab cap for the Ford dist. and it fits a lot better than the ones available now...
nostalgia59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #37
hardtimes

Quote:
Yes dielectric should be used at every connection as well as spraying WD40 on the cap and wires to help water/moisture proof the system...inside the distributor as well as outside....
Hey Bubba,
Thanks much for sharing your vast knowledge/experience regarding distributors and their use in our hobby! You have validated my use of dielectric grease and belief in its benefits. I've used it for any and all electrical connection work that I do. I've never experienced any of the oxidizing and blackening of electric contacts/connections that you normally see in those after prolonged use. I also have increased auto and house bulb life with its use. I understand WD40 and will take your advice that way also. Hey, you may not know it but that wd40 is also excellent sprayed on fish lures/bait as attractant too,eh
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #38
Mart

Re the .020/.025" clearancing, can you say exactly which rotor and cap? Are these the Napa Echlin parts?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
Tim Ayers

Hey, you may not know it but that wd40 is also excellent sprayed on fish lures/bait as attractant too,eh[/QUOTE]

Really? I'll have to try that. Anything I can do to hook up with some big ones I'll try.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #40
nostalgia59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Re the .020/.025" clearancing, can you say exactly which rotor and cap? Are these the Napa Echlin parts?

Mart.
I bought everything from Macs. The only ID was "made in USA" on the rotor and it looked exactly like the one from NAPA..
nostalgia59 is offline   Reply With Quote