Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
DaveB

Default Water pump Aftermarket

While restoring a few water pumps, I found the two aftermarket pumps for a Model A. Does anyone know the history of these pumps ?? I have used them and they work great. No leaks at all.

20171021_091816 (Small).jpg

20171021_091727 (Small).jpg

20171019_162238 (Small).jpg
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: Water pump Aftermarket

I have one of each but haven't restored them yet, don't know any history on them.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Synchro909

There was a thread here a short time ago about the middle one of those. I know it was a short time ago because if it were more, I wouldn't remember it!
From memory they were an aftermarket pump made in the 1970's with no intention of looking original, just a good, reliable pump for a touring car.
I have patterns at a foundry now for more cores so I can make more original looking pumps fitted with modern ceramic seals and ball races front and back. They should last a lifetime. The most difficult part of the project is getting imperial sized bearings (and seals) so I might have to make my own shafts too at additional cost. I'd use 16mm shaft made out of decent steel, NOT the stainless crap vendors offer. If imperial bearings etc were avalable, I could use the stainless shaft as NOTHING will run on it to cause wear. Enough now of my frustrations with the antiquated imperial system.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
glenn in camino

The water pump I have on my deluxe delivery is an after market one with a cavity for grease where the tightening nut usually is in a stock pump. I filled the cavity with waterproof grease. It's been on the car for 20 years and thousands of miles. It's never leaked a drop.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
DaveB

Thanks for your comments.

I guess there were several different types of water pumps made for the Model A and some seemed to be well made with technology not available to Henry. The original pump will still work just as well if it is maintained .... just like me ..... or most things on the Model A.

Let us know how the new one in production in Australia works out !!!
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote