Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Speedy Canuck

Default Sidemount Brackets - Domestic and Foreign Cars

Hi all,

I don't do much posting on here, but I do read lots and try to glean information when I can. I had a question regarding side mounts on model A chassis.

I have a bare frame in my garage that is a dual sidemount. I know this is a North American frame. The sidemounts are the standard style that are available as reproductions - they bolt to the frame and bolt to the bolt pattern on the wheel.
They look like this:

64-21366.jpg

I also own a 1929 Ford Phaeton that came from Uruguay. It is also a dual sidemount car. However, the frame does not have the above mentioned brackets. Instead, there is a vertical rod that is threaded at the top, with a clamp that hooks over the tire. You tighten the clamp on the rod, and it holds the tires in the fender well's.

You can see it in this picture:

IMG_6033.jpg

Is there a reason for the difference? Factory built or possibly a dealer option after the fact? Just a difference based on assembling plant or early design vs. later design?
The phaeton has fender well's on both sides, so I'm leaning towards this being a factory thing and not dealer/aftermarket.

Thanks for the help!

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
d.

Default Re: Sidemount Brackets - Domestic and Foreign Cars

the sidemount arm you picture is for a '30-'31 Model A. they are specific for Left and Right.
the sidemount setup on your South American Phaeton on the trailer is a local dealer add on or aftermarket, not US Ford factory supplied.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
quickchange

30-31 different mount to 28-29, different kettle of fish .
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Sidemount Brackets - Domestic and Foreign Cars

The threaded rod, clamp and wing nut are very similar to the way '29 and up Chevrolet secured their side mounts. I believe Stutz and Peirce-Arrow
also used this style of securing. Like "d." mentions it is most likely a period done dealer/after-market modification.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
john charlton

The only thing which is specific to left mount or right mount on 30/31 is the triangular plate with the lugnut studs these are marked on the backside "L" or "R" . The 28/29 brackets are not handed and fit both sides . You need to buy the 28/29 lug nut plate as the side mount is designed that no weight is supported by the fender well . The clamp setup which is common on Uruguayan and Argentine cars is not Ford and presses the spare wheel into the well, not good . It is easy to tell a 29/29 lugnut plate as the mounting "slot" is vertical the 30/31 is at an angle . The frame brackets are different ,the 28/29 having a braket with a vertical hole to mount the arm .

John still in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Speedy Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
the sidemount arm you picture is for a '30-'31 Model A. they are specific for Left and Right.
the sidemount setup on your South American Phaeton on the trailer is a local dealer add on or aftermarket, not US Ford factory supplied.
Good to know, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
The threaded rod, clamp and wing nut are very similar to the way '29 and up Chevrolet secured their side mounts. I believe Stutz and Peirce-Arrow also used this style of securing. Like "d." mentions it is most likely a period done dealer/after-market modification.

Bob-A
It's a very well done modification. I'll have to take some closer pictures of the cowl mount. I'd suggest that it was a dealer add on, as the fenders have the tire wells in them. The dealer must have added the clamp, and changed the front fenders. I can't see Ford shipping sidemount fendered cars without mount provisions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
The only thing which is specific to left mount or right mount on 30/31 is the triangular plate with the lugnut studs these are marked on the backside "L" or "R" . The 28/29 brackets are not handed and fit both sides . You need to buy the 28/29 lug nut plate as the side mount is designed that no weight is supported by the fender well . The clamp setup which is common on Uruguayan and Argentine cars is not Ford and presses the spare wheel into the well, not good . It is easy to tell a 29/29 lugnut plate as the mounting "slot" is vertical the 30/31 is at an angle . The frame brackets are different ,the 28/29 having a braket with a vertical hole to mount the arm .

John still in Suffolk County England .
This style of sidemount isn't good because the fender bears the weight of the tire. Could I expect to see the fenders crack, or what is bad about this setup, other than there being no additional braces for the extra weight of the tire?
I do think this style sidemount is rather unique, and would like to maintain it. Although, I would like to be able to carry 1 or 2 spare tires on long distance trips as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
john charlton

When the model A Ford was in general use worldwide the roads were mostly poor . Pick up a complete spare wheel and see just how heavy it is and amagine that weight just being supported by the fender alone,after a few years driving over rutted roads would soon see the fender start to crack and fall apart (IMHO) . The factory brackets support all the weight and the spare does not actually touch the fender when bolted to the lug nut plate . If you plan to drive on todays smooth roads you may not have this problem .

John in very cold Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Speedy Canuck

Thanks for the follow up. I figured we were thinking along the same lines.

Stay warm over there!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
midgetracer

I have some 30-31 fenders that take that type of sidemount. Anyone ever seen a 30-31 with that type of sidemount. I got mine in a purchase of a 30 phaeton.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Yes! Not knowing any better, I installed the other type on my chassis and found out later that there were two types. 28-29 and 30-31. I now have a pair of 28-29 brackets that I can't use (Hint , Hint!)
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I have some 30-31 fenders that take that type of sidemount. Anyone ever seen a 30-31 with that type of sidemount. I got mine in a purchase of a 30 phaeton.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote