Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
37coop

Default 39 coupe ,making and covering a parcel shelf

hi guys ... my 39 coupe ,I,v just installed the headlining from the le baron bonney kit and the rest to do. I imported this car 23 years ago into the u.k from west Virginia and it was painted orange with orange cord interior (nice) and the parcel shelf was missing. i,m looking to making one and need to know the thickness and what material to use ,after enquiring L.B.B.told me the covering for the shelf was the supplied black vynil , however I don't ever recollect seeing anything other than headlining material on other cars parcel shelves ,are they right ? also the wooden bar going across in front of the shelf and behind the seat , what is the thickness and depth ? I,m not looking for a prizewinning car just a good looking driver , any help would be appreciated , cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 39 coupe ,making and covering a parcel shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
hi guys ... my 39 coupe ,I,v just installed the headlining from the le baron bonney kit and the rest to do. I imported this car 23 years ago into the u.k from west Virginia and it was painted orange with orange cord interior (nice) and the parcel shelf was missing. i,m looking to making one and need to know the thickness and what material to use ,after enquiring L.B.B.told me the covering for the shelf was the supplied black vynil , however I don't ever recollect seeing anything other than headlining material on other cars parcel shelves ,are they right ? also the wooden bar going across in front of the shelf and behind the seat , what is the thickness and depth ? I,m not looking for a prizewinning car just a good looking driver , any help would be appreciated , cheers jim.
If it helps ya any, this is a pic of the tray in a very authentic '40 coupe. DD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 TRAY.jpg (206.1 KB, 74 views)

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Use 5/8" thickness marine ply. Any boatyard in the UK would have it.
Ordinary ply is OK to use, but marine ply is better quality and is less likely to warp in the years ahead. Because you are so far from the USA you are better off to make yours to fit your coupe.
Make a cardboard template first for correct fit, then take it to a cabinetmaker or joiner.
The rear edge follows the right-angled curvature support contour beneath the rear window.
It goes out about 18 inches from below the rear window area to the front at the centre, and out to about 1 inch either side in below the rear 1/4 windows.
Sort of elongated D shape.
It is not truly horizontal when fitted but slopes down towards the front.
The front lip is a solid wood piece about 3/4 of an inch thick and stands about 3 inches on top above at the front - it is screwed in place.
There is also a vertical piece of wood near the front that goes from under the panel down to the floor as a support.
The parcel tray in the '40 coupe without the rear " opera seats " is the same as in the '39
regards,
Chris.NZ.
New Zealand.
Use headlining material to cover it.
Kube had some great pics a while back..

Last edited by swoopNZ; 09-07-2013 at 04:48 AM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Marine plywood is about the same as aircraft plywood. It is poplar/mahogany plys. It's very good quality stuff. I hope you can find a supplier over there. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty is a source over here in the US.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
nospartsman
BANNED

Contact Bob Drake reproductions he has the package shelf wood for the 1939-40 coupe, USA made. I guess it's something he planned on supplying when he had the 1940 coupe project. Saw it at the Street Rod Nationals. (I hope saying those two words, "Bob Drake" doesn't bring out the "Bob Drake Derangement Syndrome" crowd. NOS
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
19Fordy

Black vinyl of any type or other color, texture is NOT correct for the package tray covering. My 40 had the original headliner material from the factory. And, as I recall, the package tray covering was not glued down.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Fe26

Shelf doesn't need to be Marine ply, the originals were ordinary ply covered with headlining material. It think it was the same type of plywood that was used in the boot over the spare wheel.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
TJ

You can use regular plywood. I believe it's 5/8". It's then covered with panel material that has headliner material glued to the panel material. The front lip of the shelf is 3/4"X 4 1/2". The lip in my 40 is covered with a dark brown vinyl.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
V8 Bob

Roy Nacewicz makes a really nice '39-'40 rear package shelf kit. Very nice quality! Check it out on page 22 of his wood catalog.

http://www.fordscript.com/wood/products.html

Last edited by V8 Bob; 09-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Kube

As has been suggested, save yourself a lot of trouble and buy the kit from Roy Nacewicz. He copied an extremely nice and authentic set I had. You can rest assured he did a beautiful job recreating the pieces.
The authentic material was a thin card board. Tan in color with a very light pebble grain finish.
Lebaron will sell you the cardboard in a sheet and you can cut it to fit. Request they match the small trim piece that goes vertically behind the seat.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
37coop

thanks fellas....it seems easy enough and decent ply can be bought at my local wood yard ,the thickness is the main thing I was concerned about of the shelf and the dimensions of the bar . I don't want to import anything unless I really have to,the shipping and the ridiculous tax I would have to pay this end is a turn off. it is strange L.B.B has supplied a roll of black vynil and when I emailed questions to them about the shelf was told its for the shelf covering , maybe its to go under the top covering of headlining....I must say L.B.B was very nice about answering my questions considering I bought the kit around 17 years ago (our friendly moth has had a little nibble sadly),we visited the factory to place the order and was shown around and introduced to the workers...very impressed . thanks once again for your help,the barn has been a life saver ,every question I,v asked regarding my 39 coupe and 51 f.i has been answered and solved the problem ,every single one .......the real test will be the start of the restoration of my 37 zephyr coupe,again as with the 39 I tore it apart 23 years ago, I do enjoy a challenge ...oh dear!! cheers jim.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
thanks fellas....it seems easy enough and decent ply can be bought at my local wood yard ,the thickness is the main thing I was concerned about of the shelf and the dimensions of the bar . I don't want to import anything unless I really have to,the shipping and the ridiculous tax I would have to pay this end is a turn off. it is strange L.B.B has supplied a roll of black vynil and when I emailed questions to them about the shelf was told its for the shelf covering , maybe its to go under the top covering of headlining....I must say L.B.B was very nice about answering my questions considering I bought the kit around 17 years ago (our friendly moth has had a little nibble sadly),we visited the factory to place the order and was shown around and introduced to the workers...very impressed . thanks once again for your help,the barn has been a life saver ,every question I,v asked regarding my 39 coupe and 51 f.i has been answered and solved the problem ,every single one .......the real test will be the start of the restoration of my 37 zephyr coupe,again as with the 39 I tore it apart 23 years ago, I do enjoy a challenge ...oh dear!! cheers jim.
Lebaron is well aware that the material they supplied then and now for the parcel shelf is incorrect. I have tried to get them to change this on numerous occasions. They claim they supply this as it has the pebble grain finish and folks can paint it if they like. I understand their reasoning but feel it's a poor excuse. They are not shy about their prices and one would think they would go that slight extra length to get it correct. Folks go to Lebaron as we have learned to trust their kits to be the best.
One other thing you'll notice that is simply WRONG about their coupe head liner is there are no seams that go down from each (approximate) end of the rear window as original.
Show up on a concourse and an observant judge will deduct for that. Sad as the owner was counting on Lebaron ...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Lebaron is well aware that the material they supplied then and now for the parcel shelf is incorrect. I have tried to get them to change this on numerous occasions. They claim they supply this as it has the pebble grain finish and folks can paint it if they like. I understand their reasoning but feel it's a poor excuse. They are not shy about their prices and one would think they would go that slight extra length to get it correct. Folks go to Lebaron as we have learned to trust their kits to be the best.
One other thing you'll notice that is simply WRONG about their coupe head liner is there are no seams that go down from each (approximate) end of the rear window as original.
Show up on a concourse and an observant judge will deduct for that. Sad as the owner was counting on Lebaron ...
funny you should say that about the seams,i noticed that in mine the rear window is seamless,maybe it looks less fussy but as you say its not right,i must also agree with you about expecting the customer to paint the vynil,
a shame these big companies are happy to "dumb down "a product I assume to save money ,just charge a little extra and do it right ,they are not exactly inexpensive anyway.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
36-5window
BANNED

Cool Re: 39 coupe ,making and covering a parcel shelf

NOT PLYWOOD!! my ORIGINAL 1939 coupe has a piece of pine, not plywood, 52 1/2" long, 3 7/8" high, and 3/4" thick. not plywood, Henry Ford did not use cheap stuff, and nither shall we.LOL
Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

That's right, but modern plywoods are extremely durable.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
NOT PLYWOOD!! my ORIGINAL 1939 coupe has a piece of pine, not plywood, 52 1/2" long, 3 7/8" high, and 3/4" thick. not plywood, Henry Ford did not use cheap stuff, and nither shall we.LOL
Modern plywood is much stronger and more stable than anything Henry used back in the day.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
36-5window
BANNED

Really?? you want to argue about PLYWOOD?? LOLX3
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
Really?? you want to argue about PLYWOOD?? LOLX3
ya talkin to me , hey ya talkin to me ...(the great Robert de nero )
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
36-5window
BANNED

actually, a raccoon got in my car and chewed on the rear shelf and used it as a bathroom!!.not a pretty sight to clean up! I will put some pictures of my junk coupe in my album if it will work for me. Henry