Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2023, 11:05 PM   #1
32phil

Default Hershey Stats

Just read the newsletter from the AACA.
Some interesting facts:
9,000 flea market spaces offered with 9,000 SOLD
700 Car Corral vehicles for sale
1000 Show Cars on the field
There were some open/unoccupied spaces evident.
That happens for number of reasons.
For example, this year I had my usual 3 spaces now in the Chocolate Field. I share them with a friend and his son.
Well, his son took ill at the last minute and was hospitalized, and they didn't attend. Neither did my items I planned to sell as they all were in his truck along with his sale items.
I wound up selling what few items I had with me out of the back of my Explorer. Anyone walking by would say it looked like 2 unsold spots.
I'm curious as to what next year's numbers will look like.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:44 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Hershey Stats

I noticed those stats as well. I can certainly understand the circumstances of your buddy, but I have three spaces in the Orange Field and for the past three or so years there have a few spots near mine that have been vacant during that time frame.

Understandably, it's a swap meet and life's events take priority over old junk, but I do think there should be some way to enforce repeated no shows.

If you do the math, that was $810,000 just in swap spots. If they are all truly paid for, then I guess the AACA has no reason to care. I just think more filled spots makes it a better event.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-31-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
nickthebandit

As a former vendor, and now a spectator, it upsets me to see almost 2 full rows in the Chocolate field with no parts for sale, just everyday vehicles parked there. This means a lot of walking for nothing. I am 83 years old, and this extra walking for nothing doesn't help my old legs. AACA should police this activity. The Carlisle events do police the area to see if the spaces are used to sell parts, or just to park your vehicles there. I go to see the flea market, If I want to see parked cars, I can just look across the street.

Last edited by nickthebandit; 12-31-2023 at 08:17 AM. Reason: more info
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

I'm with Nickthebandit.
I attended 20+ years in a row ending in around 2012. At the end, I found WAY too many stalls used as parking places. When I started attending in 1990 there were very few stalls with just a modern car parked there. WAY too much walking to look at parked cars. For the largest swap meet in this area (Portland Oregon) you have to fill out a form that states what type of things you will be selling in your stalls. Committe member do walk around and check that you are actually selling what you said. There is a large list of things you cannot sell such as a car newer than some year that changes each year, firearms etc.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I'm with Nickthebandit.
I attended 20+ years in a row ending in around 2012. At the end, I found WAY too many stalls used as parking places. When I started attending in 1990 there were very few stalls with just a modern car parked there. WAY too much walking to look at parked cars. For the largest swap meet in this area (Portland Oregon) you have to fill out a form that states what type of things you will be selling in your stalls. Committe member do walk around and check that you are actually selling what you said. There is a large list of things you cannot sell such as a car newer than some year that changes each year, firearms etc.
In the paperwork you get from Hershey Region AACA, it does list items that are not permitted. With 9,000 spots and only manned by volunteers, I'd assume it's pretty tough to enforce.

What is also getting out of hand is the use of golf carts or other motorized vehicles. It chaps my ass when I see a younger person bound off one of things or hoards of people hanging off of one with only one person in it that truly needs it.

In the end, Hershey is still a great show, but I do think Hershey Region AACA is at a crossroads on managing the swap if they want it to continue to be considered the premier show.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
Model51

I started going to Hersehy occasionally in the 1990;s and then attending Hershey every meet since 2001. The folks at Hershey used to require a permit for an electric cart and there were very few. As the average age goes up one year every year, folks are getting old and now it seems like it's a free for all for bikes, motor bikes, etc. with no enforcement. Likewise AACA used to enforce the use of the spaces. Every year more people who purchased a space don't attend or just use the spot for parking. Vendors who used to occupy large areas (Carpenter, Drake, etc.) are gone. Yes, AACA sells 9,000 spaces, but it's now about 50% utilized.

I will still continue to attend but my expectations have adjusted to the changing reality. I found some great Ford parts for my truck and at prices that I was glad to pay. For example a pair of two styles of 1935 Ford plyers for $10, about six truck hubcaps in decent shape for about $5 each, a pair of mid-1930's sun visors for $20. Still lot's of interesting things on display and for sale, great people to meet and catch up with old friends from around the country. So yes, it's worth attending, but expect to walk past many open spaces. I'm looking forward to going next year.

I added a couple pictures from this year which sort of show the lack of vendors and people. Nothing like it was 25 years ago, but then neither am I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4195.jpg (79.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4129.jpg (64.6 KB, 112 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 04:12 PM   #7
TJ

I go to the Portland (Oregon) Swap Meet every year. In the last couple of years the indoor part of the meet has changed drastically. Numerous vendors no longer come to the meet. It used to cover 4 buildings and I suspect this coming year it may be down to 2 1/2 buildings. The outdoor part of the meet is about 1/2 of what it used to be. The meet held at the raceway(which is separate from the Expo buildings) seems to be doing fine, but there is a lot of what I consider yard sale stuff being sold there. It also appears that people are buying spaces just to park their cars. Its' a changing world for us old swap meet guys. When we are off the planet will swap meets be selling used Tesla parts? Or will swap meets go the way of the dinosaur?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 04:47 PM   #8
Newc

I work Portland. This year [up top] it will look like it did 25 years ago. The entire paved lower parking will AGAIN be public parking. Large commercial Vendors have given up on Portland City accomidation costs for their crews. Freeway vehicle backups big problem. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #9
nelsb01

Since 1982 I have had the pleasure of attending the AACA Fall National Meet. I started as a novice in 1982 and being from the midwest was stunned by some of the prices. My buddy sat me down at that time and told me that there are parts here that you would see no where else. And he was right. Those were the years of grass fields and mud. Viewing 4-wheel tractors pulling cars and trucks out of water and mud was a bonus. Well, not for those that were paying for the service. So, now it is paved and rain drains off the pavement, and you can only reminisce about the 'old days'.
Will I be there in October of 2024 -- you bet I will be. My round trip out there, driving around the Hershey area and returning home puts about 2400 miles on my vehicle, not to mention a $$$$ to my wallet for food and lodging (gas also). But as Model51 says, it isn't always about finding parts -- visiting, seeing things that you would never see anywhere else, make it an experience well worth the time and travel.
And yes, the golf carts, scooters and bicycles make it harder to be a pedestrian.
I offen found it interesting that if someone was passing fake $20 bills on the Red Field, it took about 10 minutes for that news to make it to the last row of the Orange Field, yet they make the announcement daily about illegal golf carts not being tolerated, yet all they need to do is just toss one off................and word would spread just as fast as the fake $20 notice and those illegal golf carts would be gone. But the AACA can not find the nerve to do that. My thoughts.
But................."attention on the swap meet field" annoucements still ring in my ears.
(I wonder how old that guy is -- he has been making the same announcements for 41 years)
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:50 PM   #10
Clem Clement

Hershey is a wonderful experience for all. All of us can help by promoting the show, bringing friends to the event and writing about the great experiences for everyone. Did I mention the flea market's treasures
!!!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #11
richard crow

the aaca should walk the fields then report
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
I work Portland. This year [up top] it will look like it did 25 years ago. The entire paved lower parking will AGAIN be public parking. Large commercial Vendors have given up on Portland City accomidation costs for their crews. Freeway vehicle backups big problem. Newc
Newc, are you saying that vendor parking will be gone in the front lot?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:06 PM   #13
Yoyodyne

There's a parking lot area in the chocolate field for the Hershey volunteers, I think that's completely appropriate. I don't think they should be asked to walk in every day for a week plus run the show. I've been doing Hershey since there were show cars in the stadium infield and in the ball diamond and expect to continue to do so as long as I'm allowed to drive. I tell people who have never done it that's it's like going to the coolest museum ever of things I'm interested in, except that everything is available to be handled and everything is available to be purchased. There's always been a problem of transport vehicles being used by people who don't appear to need them as long as they have been allowed, I doubt that will change anytime soon. I'm sure there's only so many unpaid volunteers willing to be enforcement Nazis. Some inconsiderate people with hand pulled wagons are more of an obstruction than some in golf carts. Absent vendors is a symptom of our aging hobby, the only real fix to return the event to it's attendance peak would be to reset the calendar. I saw markedly fewer food vendors since 2020, I believe that's due to Hershey entertainment raising the costs to the vendors.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 11:38 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Like many others, I have seen the decline in numbers out here at the Portland meet. I think we have been fortunate to be a part of this amazing group of people that we have shared the hobby and much of our spare time with. How rich we all are to still be living it, and how sad it is to glimpse its gradual demise. While this video is about the old music, the sentiment expressed is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxHj...hvZXMgdmlkZW8g
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:12 PM   #15
Steve Seidl

Thanks,GB. Well Done !
Steve Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:48 PM   #16
Ronnieroadster

Unhappy Re: Hershey Stats the cost is raised again for 2024.

A Vendor space for 2024 is now $100.00. Not to long ago it was only $80.00
Inflation i know is up world wide not much we can do about it i guess!
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:19 PM   #17
nelsb01

Ronnieroadster,
Please remember that a large chunk of that money does not go to the Hershey Region of the AACA.
The chocolate people get more than half.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM   #18
DavidG

Bruce,

You seem to be assuming that the golf carts there are all "illegal", which is incorrect. If registered with the Hershey Region of the AACA, the hosts, they are perfectly legal. They do permit those no longer able to walk the aisles to still participate.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:57 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Bruce,

You seem to be assuming that the golf carts there are all "illegal", which is incorrect. If registered with the Hershey Region of the AACA, the hosts, they are perfectly legal. They do permit those no longer able to walk the aisles to still participate.
David,

I've been going to Hershey for over 44 years and I turned 53 this year. I've had my spots in the Orange Field for just over 10 years. I obviously haven't done official stats on this issue, but I would safely estimate that 50% of the people in those carts are abled bodied and just trying to zip around to scoop up deals.

I see it all the time, people younger than me, bounding off their carts when something catches their eye. It happens in front of my spot countless times a day.

It's possible the person who registered the cart with the AACA is not mobile, so I'd assume others are taking advantage of loopholes in the AACA's policy and using the carts to their advantage.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-03-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:39 PM   #20
32phil

If you look closely at the stickers on the double row of cars parked in the Chocolate Field they identify them as Worker/Volunteer Vehicles. Not Illegal Day Parkers.
I don't begrudge them the spots. Still gotta walk around them though! Dang