Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2024, 10:27 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Ma Bell's working woodie wagon?

I found this somewhere on the web. Of course I liked the photo immediately as it shows a woodie being used for work and it has no signs of surf stickers, surf boards or anything vaguely reminiscient of the sport of surfing. The general public tends to think of these wagons as a surf vehicle and I am reminded of this almost daily by the comments I get when I take mine into town in the summer. The one pictured sure seems to have a bell on the driver's door and there's no doubt it is hard at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Working woodie.jpg (62.9 KB, 339 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:32 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Ma Bell's working woodie wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I found this somewhere on the web. Of course I liked the photo immediately as it shows a woodie being used for work and it has no signs of surf stickers, surf boards or anything vaguely reminiscient of the sport of surfing. The general public tends to think of these wagons as a surf vehicle and I am reminded of this almost daily by the comments I get when I take mine into town in the summer. The one pictured sure seems to have a bell on the driver's door and there's no doubt it is hard at work.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:45 PM   #3
GB SISSON

Attaboy Pete! Anyone know of any other pics of woodies used for commercial purposes? I know James Wagner's 'FTS'05' book shows a Marmon Herrington converted wood wagon involved in oil exploration in Saudi Arabia.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-07-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
woodiewagon46

Two "Woodie" commercial pictures that come to mind are of the Ansel Adams photographer on the roof of his 1941 Cadillac Station Wagon and Dorothea Lang, also a photographer, atop her 1933 Ford Wagon. You're right about the general public equating Woodies with surfboards. Every car show I go to with my '46 someone always asks "where is the surfboard"?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:41 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

I know that in 1940, in Canada some were converted to ambulances. A friend of mine up there had one and removed the 2 doors that replaced the tailgate/rear window and made it back into a regular woodie. He always regrets getting rid of those rare "ambulance" doors. This same conversion happened during WW2 as I have seen pictures of those too.

Woodywagon46--I get the same question and I just tell them it didn't come from the factory with a surfboard.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:26 PM   #6
mh_merc

Ansel's wagon was a 1946 Pontiac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg OIP (9).jpeg (33.6 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by mh_merc; 01-07-2024 at 02:40 PM. Reason: photo
mh_merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:48 PM   #7
mh_merc

Shades of Ansel...here's my '47 Merc with ornithologist/photographer Don Bleitz preparing to shoot. I must add that as a surfer of more than 50 years, I never presented this car as a 'surf wagon'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 - Copy.jpg (57.1 KB, 179 views)
mh_merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:03 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_merc View Post
Ansel's wagon was a 1946 Pontiac.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:56 PM   #9
47fordguy

Here are some Bell System Woodie photos I have had for a while:

Old 01-07-2024, 08:38 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Wow! A treasure trove. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:03 PM   #11
pistonbroke

When I was just a lad of five or six my Dad was a surveyor for the State of Idaho and one of his coworkers had a 46-8 woody they used as the work vehicle . My Dad always told us boys he should have bought it when it went up for sale. I wish I had a picture but it's only a memory now. Dead black paint, weathered wood and no hubcaps. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote