Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #1
Steve in Denver

Default Electric powered Heater/AC question

Anyone tried these 12 volt, electric powered Heater/AC units. Biggest question is, do they really work?

And, with the '36 having a small grille area, where else can I put the cooling coils? Even with a new radiator, any air flow restrictions causes it to over heat.

Anyone ever tried two smaller coils and locating them under the car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12v heater ac electric.jpg (38.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
FlatTopFreddie

Default Re: Electric powered Heater/AC question

Under the car works on a 36 Coupe.
FlatTopFreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #3
Steve in Denver

I thought I had seen a picture of someone putting two cooling coils, one on each side of the drive shaft back by the rear end but I can't find it now.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Denver View Post
Anyone tried these 12 volt, electric powered Heater/AC units. Biggest question is, do they really work?

And, with the '36 having a small grille area, where else can I put the cooling coils? Even with a new radiator, any air flow restrictions causes it to over heat.

Anyone ever tried two smaller coils and locating them under the car?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

Steve, are you saying that the AC compressor is driven by an electric motor and not driven by a belt from the cars engine?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #6
Ggmac

If thats the case then the alternator/ generator needed is going to be huge .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

Ggmac, that's my thinking. I can't imagine the amperage that is required to power that compressor. Unless I'm missing something, you will also need relays and heavy gauge wiring along with a new alternator, as I don't think any early Ford generator can handle the amperage.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
Hitman

These kits came from the hybrid and electric car world, Teslas, Prius, etc. They're actually very popular, especially in the air cooled VW and Porsche 356 crowd. They have big advantages since you don't have to mount a belt driven compressor in a tight engine compartment, run refrigerant lines long distances and best of all, they can be concealed so it's nearly impossible to tell a car has AC.

The amp draw isn't huge, usually in the 45 to 60 amp range. It's easy to find an alternator that will produce that much and still leave you with excess amperage. It doesn't take much to run the ignition and lights in our cars.

The compressors are electric, just like the one on your refrigerator or home central AC system.

Try it! Let us know how it turns out.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
Bob C

Amazon has some info on them. https://www.amazon.com/Treeligo-Heat.../dp/B0B9SMC3BW
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:41 PM   #10
Ziggster

Used to be a product development manger for mobile a/c systems for construction, forestry, military, and city bus/inter-city bus. Once designed an all electric 12V system for the Canadian military. Used a GM Delphi/Harrison V5 compressor belt driven by a 3.5 hp 12VDC electric motor. Was self-contained and mounted on the cab roof (2-person cab). Initially, the vehicle manufacturer did not want to upgrade the vehicles alternator as we had told them. It subsequently lead to a few vehicle fires, so they finally updated to a 145 amp alternator. We even had to design a special electronic box that would limit the in-rush current when the motor started. This was over 25 yrs ago, so don’t know anything about these integrated a/c electrically powered compressors, but the scroll design is way more efficient than a typical piston design, so it will require less power. I can say looking at the evap box, it is probably in the 10,000 btu/hr range, which is about slightly less than half of what is required to cool a modern sized vehicle which needs about 20,000 - 30,000 btu/hr. If you have a small 2-person vehicle, then it would be ok likely. Also, kit is missing a receiver/drier. I would be very wary of using anything that requires 70 amps of continuous power. No place to cut corners with wiring, breakers, terminals, etc.

Last edited by Ziggster; 12-20-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #11
Ziggster

Duplicate post.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:29 AM   #12
Ggmac

It seems to good to be true , but I’m not up on new technology. I would like to see the components sold separately. Especially the compressor.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #13
Kurt in NJ

so the compressor takes 70 amps, each condenser fan lets say 10 amps, the evaporator blower 20( original equipment heat/ac blowers are in the range of 30 amps)
so 110 amps,plus say headlights another 15,general charging, ignition another 10

most alternators rated amps are cold, hot available amps will be less, a 150 amp alternator would need a good belt drive probably double row to be able to keep a reasonable belt tension to keep water pump bearings happy

The ad says it doesn’t take power from the engine?? what do they think makes the electric?
a second set of deep cycle batteries charging at home could work, then the factor of additional weight
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #14
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
It seems to good to be true , but I’m not up on new technology. I would like to see the components sold separately. Especially the compressor.

Here you go. https://www.amazon.com/Treeligo-Auto.../dp/B09TPF1Y46
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Treeligo 12V Automotive Truck Electric AC Air Conditioner air Compressor Kit Universal Compatible (14CC))

$599.00

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #16
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
so the compressor takes 70 amps, each condenser fan lets say 10 amps, the evaporator blower 20( original equipment heat/ac blowers are in the range of 30 amps)
so 110 amps,plus say headlights another 15,general charging, ignition another 10

most alternators rated amps are cold, hot available amps will be less, a 150 amp alternator would need a good belt drive probably double row to be able to keep a reasonable belt tension to keep water pump bearings happy

The ad says it doesn’t take power from the engine?? what do they think makes the electric?
a second set of deep cycle batteries charging at home could work, then the factor of additional weight
The systems I've seen, which are all retrofits and fully electronic, use approximately 70 amps for the complete system. The compressors alone use in the 45 - 60 amp range as I mentioned earlier, depending on the load (ambient temp).

90 amp alternators can handle this and the other systems pulling a draw. 150 amps is recommended if going to electric AC. The air cooled Porsche and VW crowds have been doing this for awhile, and run 150 amp alternators with a single v-belt that is also driving the cooling fan. They do this without issue.

The ebay link previously shown is more of a generic setup. Here's one targeted for 911's, (some that use a single v belt), and quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.classicretrofit.com/en-u...c-911-full-kit
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 03:33 PM   #17
woodiewagon46

With all you need to go thru for cool air, that cowl vent and roll down windows look pretty nice. Your '36 looks too nice to start drilling holes all over it to mount all the hardware.