Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
bogdonj

Default High gear noise ??

I recently installed a new rebuilt engine, balanced crank,flywheel etc, in my 31 sedan and noticed now that I have grinding type of noise when in high gear and really noticeable at low RPM. when I speed up it is a lot less noticeable and when I engage clutch it goes away?? this only happens in 3rd gear. I don't recall this happening before new engine was installed which is why I didn't have anything done to transmission while motor was out...any ideas??
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: High gear noise ??

Pilot bearing?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Pilot bearing?
Paul in CT
In third gear? In any gear?

How does the input shaft speed ever differ from the crankshaft when the clutch is released?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
In third gear? In any gear?

How does the input shaft speed ever differ from the crankshaft when the clutch is released?

if the clutch slips. lol
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Did you check flywheel to bellhousing alignment with the new engine?? Are the two shims installed ?? Can you kinda pinpoint the location of the noise??
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
bogdonj

How do you check flywheel to bellhousing alignment?? and where are the shims located?
it's hard to pinpoint noise but it appears to be down around transmission, flywheel area.
sorry I can't be more helpful......the new rebuilt motor came complete with flywheel housing flywheel clutch plate etc. ...everything is fine with idle, takeoff, shifting but 3rd gear is noisy at low speed takeoff and de-acceleration which would probably leave me to believe a bearing problem in transmission ?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

okay now,
if your going down the road in 3rd gear and you push the clutch pedal in and coast, you say the noise goes away correct. still rotating is everything in the trans rear bearing front bearing, input shaft etc. the only thing your doing is disconnecting the input shaft from the engine by way of the clutch. i am thinking its not in the trans then

i am also asuuming your not shifting it to neutral while doing this

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-06-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
rotorwrench

When in third or high gear you are in 1 to 1 drive through the main drive to the main shaft. If the flywheel/clutch plate & cover is not aligned with the main drive in the trans, it will force it to one side a little bit. Some shimming may be required to correct a situation like this if that applies. It is a possability worth looking into. You may have to contact your engine rebuilder and see how he checked the alignment when he built er up.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
bogdonj

Here are some photos if you guys can tell anything.. new engine and original trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trans.jpg (54.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (48.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
When in third or high gear you are in 1 to 1 drive through the main drive to the main shaft. If the flywheel/clutch plate & cover is not aligned with the main drive in the trans, it will force it to one side a little bit. Some shimming may be required to correct a situation like this if that applies. It is a possability worth looking into. You may have to contact your engine rebuilder and see how he checked the alignment when he built er up.

Kerby
Where and how do you do this shimming to correct this alignment if this were the case?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Patrick L.

I just noticed the message and responded.. Sorry for being late.. If I screwed something up and you don't get it let me know..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
rotorwrench

A gauge tool can be fabricated that bolts to the crankshaft flange in place of the flywheel. The crankshaft can then be rotated to check & see if the flywheel housing is in good alignment with it. I'm sure a dial indicator can be rigged up to do this check with some yankee ingenuity. Horse shoe shaped shims are used between the flywheel housing and the block to get it into best possible alignment. They usually start with 2 shims. A variation of no more than .006" is considered acceptable. After that you install the flywheel then reverse the mounting of the gauge tool installing it on the flywheel housing. You then rotate the flywheel to see if it is out of round with the housing. If more than .005" of wobble is detected then it should be remachined or replaced. You can sometimes just unbolt it and reposition it 90 degrees or so and bolt it back up for another check. I would try that before running down to the machine shop if it has too much wobble.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-07-2010 at 03:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
bogdonj

Thanks everyone for there input ..much appreciated!... but I am very confident that the alignment and/or shim suggestion is not the problem as the engine builder is a very reputable and experienced model A engine builder/owner with well over 100 Model A engine rebuilds to his credit and I am sure everything was done to the book.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Here are some pictures I took of the last flywheel and cover I checked and shimmed. Before I found this original KRW tool I made a tool out of flat stock to mount the dial indicator to. If the engine is installed in the car I still have to use the homemade tool.

Take reading of the flywheel cover at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock positions. Most of the time you will need shims the same thickness as the flywheel cover gasket, to keep the flywheel cover within .006" at the 3 measurements.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
V4F

maybe a shaft bearing in the transmission ................... steve
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
bogdonj

Just to update the thread.. It's been about 6 months and the car was in storage. We had it look at last September by a well knowing Model A expert and he said it's coming from the tranny and it's probably the bearings. In the next coming months we are going to drop the rear end and take the tranny out and let him take a look at it and replace all the bearings. All the gears in the tranny look good! Keep everyone updated on what we find.

Justin