Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: PCV valve for my H six ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post
Hi Gary, Good luck with your surgery! Is that the real "Doc Hudson"? (Cars movie)
Ha ha.

Al Hook

Excellent reference. Just watched a 5 minute clip of Doc Hudson, The doctor and judge of Radiator Springs. You nailed it.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:24 PM   #22
GB SISSON

The PCV valve is a great success. Even on the long grades, no stinky blow by fumes in the cab. Some of my initial parts did not work out in the final plan, but I found enough plumbing down in my well house to make it work and I ended up borrowing the valve from the foyota inline six because it was steel and in a straight line. I guess the repaired fuel tank will have to wait til after MY valve job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A plumbing parts.jpg (145.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg A pcv valve done.jpg (49.0 KB, 121 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:33 AM   #23
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
The PCV valve is a great success. Even on the long grades, no stinky blow by fumes in the cab. Some of my initial parts did not work out in the final plan, but I found enough plumbing down in my well house to make it work and I ended up borrowing the valve from the foyota inline six because it was steel and in a straight line. I guess the repaired fuel tank will have to wait til after MY valve job.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #24
51504bat

Looking for positive results of your "valve job" tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:57 PM   #25
38 coupe

I'm another person looking for good result on your valve job.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Thanks all! Just got home. 3 nights there. The valve went just as planned and by all accounts is a great success. But... about 10% of the recipients of these valves need a pacemaker installed afterwards as the patients internal 'ignition circuit' is too close to the valve and the signal gets wonky. Also I have historically had a low heart rate of 40 so along with the free flowing new valve and the rate dialed up to 48 or so, my systems are in top shape now. They placed this pacemaker into the muscle of my chest for various reasons stating it will be a better protected install for an active jalopy builder such as myself. They did tell me that it would be quite painful for a couple weeks and a month before full use of that arm. Ouch....
Old 09-15-2023, 10:13 AM   #27
Mart

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, GB.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Thanks for all the encouragement. I have a couple of small, lightweight projects to do on the kitchen table. My wife is fine with it too. An H distributor to rebuild, and adapting a toyota fuel gauge and sender to work in my stock instrument panel. You will see this in a new thread. Will King Seeley be de-throned? One of my main concerns with the pacemaker is welding and ignition systems. 'Doc Hudson' suggested "Just teach your wife to do the welding". Of course I replied with "She was the first girl to take welding (3 years) at Vashon Island High School back in the 70s". She's strictly a stick welding kind of girl, but Doc said that if she can stick weld, the wire feed will come naturally. Appears that I could still weld some if I take precautions, but the delco ww2 surplus buzz coil from a flame thrower on my 2 cycle drag saw just might exceed the limits.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:14 AM   #29
tubman

It sounds like everything went well with the "valve job". It's good to see you're already back at it. I'd offer wishes for a speedy recovery, but it seems you've already done that.

Last edited by tubman; 09-15-2023 at 01:01 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:57 PM   #30
Als48

Glad to hear you are doing well, Gary. My wife is recovering from her knee replacement in August. She's doing well too. I'm still doing most of what little housework is getting done. Ha ha

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:11 PM   #31
PeteVS

Glad to see you're back!!
Old 09-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #32
38 coupe

Good to have you back posting and glad to hear success on your valve job.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #33
51504bat

Excellent news.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:33 PM   #34
GB SISSON

Great to be back with all of you. I felt like a human pin cushion in that joint, but the people that took care of me were exceedingly kind,helpful and friendly. Today I disassembled the 36.00 ebay distributor, cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled with new echlin points, condensor, rotor and cap, all of which were on a high shelf when a neighbor's basement got flooded 3 years ago. All the 'junk' on those shelves was left there by the previous owners that ran a sawmill on the property and the current owners were thrilled to have me haul it away. Joe and his brother Thurman musta been smiling down from heaven when those ford parts finally got used. They sawed all the lumber for my house 45 years ago.
Old 09-16-2023, 03:13 AM   #35
Mart

That's a cool story GB. Glad you're able to "do a bit".
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:47 AM   #36
flatford8

Happy to hear you’re back getting your hands dirty Bub!!.....Take Care......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 09:51 AM   #37
truckdog62563

Jeez, Gary, I just read all this. Glad your valve job went well. I expect you’ll be back working circles around us all in no time. Stu
Old 09-16-2023, 10:52 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Not working circles around anybody these days . It's just that I can't stand the television for more than an hour at a time so I gotta get off the couch and stretch my legs and get something dead and ugly working again. It's been that way as far back as I can remember and nobody knows where it came from. The distributor had a thick layer of black grease on the surface, shaft was frozen, nothing moved. I prefer claning a piece like this by hand. I don't want it to look completely showroom new or it would be out of character with the rest of this truck. Little bit tough leaning over those wide fenders, so I'll wait til I heal up a bit before I install it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg an H dizzy 1.jpg (100.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg an H dizzy 2.jpg (45.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg an H dizzy 3.jpg (92.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-17-2023, 12:09 AM   #39
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Not working circles around anybody these days . It's just that I can't stand the television for more than an hour at a time so I gotta get off the couch and stretch my legs and get something dead and ugly working again. It's been that way as far back as I can remember and nobody knows where it came from. The distributor had a thick layer of black grease on the surface, shaft was frozen, nothing moved. I prefer claning a piece like this by hand. I don't want it to look completely showroom new or it would be out of character with the rest of this truck. Little bit tough leaning over those wide fenders, so I'll wait til I heal up a bit before I install it.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:27 PM   #40
Scotty's 52 F3

It's genetic, I have it too. Gotta always be tinkering on something. The distributor looks good.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote