Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
oldredford

Default Uphostery kits

Need your opinions about uphostery kits. My 1940 fordoor needs a complete upholstery redo. LB offers a complete kit for $3,634. and cartouche offers one for about half. In the past, I always used LB with no complaints. What is your experiences with cartouche. Appreciate any feedback...
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Uphostery kits

I've installed both. The Cartouche fits and functions but I prefer the Lebaron Bonney . I'm in the process now of working with Lebaron Bonney on making a upholstery kit for my 39 Zephyr.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Joe Immler

I have had a LeBaron kit in my '41 Coupe for 17 years. Not one problem. Has worn very well.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Kube

LB even though more costly offers a much better product.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
DavidG

I concur with Mike.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
19Fordy

LB has worked for me.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Cecil/WV

I have sample kits from both and I can't tell the difference in the material.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
richard crow

cecil/wv is correct i oreded a sample kit from l.b & cartouche & could not tell the difference. i think both co. buy the cloth from the same place. i don,t think they make the cloth them selfs. that said i orered a kit for my 40 ford from cartouche saved a lot of money & was happy with the kit. panels fit good headliner was fine seats were also good no proulbem. this is just my opion onley you can decide whitch is best for you
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
T Scott

I have purchased kits from both companies. I had LB upholster the seat for my A coupe and installed the rest myself. Everything was perfect.

I also bought a kit from Cartouche for my 34 which was nicely made and high quality.

The difference between the two though is very important. LB focuses on originality on both configuration and materials, meaning for early Fords the material will be wool and care must be exercised to prevent moth damage.

Cartouche offers synthetic materials which will be long wearing and moth proof.

For my 34 I wanted durability. For my A I wanted originality, so it's your pick.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
cecil/wv is correct i oreded a sample kit from l.b & cartouche & could not tell the difference. i think both co. buy the cloth from the same place. i don,t think they make the cloth them selfs.

I know Cartouche (MAC'S) makes their own seat covers (not the material)- I've been in their upholstery shop and it's located in the MAC'S headquarters building in Lockport, NY.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
Karl

My experience is generally you get what you pay for. If you can afford it I would go with the LB kit. It's unlikely in todays cut throat world that a company with competition charging half as much would survive unless they produce a better product That fact that LB are still here despite their price suggests they have the superior product -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #12
Angledrive

Lebaron Bonney, for their product and their service after sale
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
russcc

While on the subject of '40 Ford upholstery, does Cartouche make a leather seat kit for the '40 coupe. I know LB does. Anyone have experience with the Cart vs the LB in leather. I believe the rest of the LB kit like the doors panels are vinyl, similar to he originals. Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
32phil

LB hands down We have 4 kits installed presently, plus partials in 2 other cars what more can I say?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
While on the subject of '40 Ford upholstery, does Cartouche make a leather seat kit for the '40 coupe. I know LB does. Anyone have experience with the Cart vs the LB in leather. I believe the rest of the LB kit like the doors panels are vinyl, similar to he originals. Thank you Fordbarners.
We sent Cartouche all the patterns a few years ago for a friends 39 Zephyr and they made a kit for the car. I installed it and everything fit really good. Now I'm getting close on my 39 Zephyr so I gave them a call on the upholstery but I want Leather instead of cloth. Their response was well we don't do leather. Lebaron Bonney is working with me now on producing a kit for the Zephyr in red leather.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
flatheadfan

I just finished upholstering my '36 cabriolet (October). I have used both L-B and Cartouche kits in the past and was very disappointed in the L-B kit I installed on the last car I did. With the '36 I went back to Cartouche for a kit but they did not have vinyl as an option. So, back to L-B. They had the vinyl option I wanted.

It took nearly 3 months to get the kit. Upon arrival two pieces were obviously of poor quality. I contacted them and took pictures and they in turn remade the pieces at no cost to me (took three weeks).

Even though I have installed upholstery kits before this kit became a nightmare. Finally, I gave up and turned the unfinished work over to a professional upholsterer shop. They also had difficulty which required additional work on their part. The shop showed me places where the seat covering and side panels were obviously sewed wrong and required repair.. This shouldn't be.

Considering the greater cost involved and the experience L-B supposedly has, workmanship shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, for me, it was.

Obviously, others haven't experience any problems but, in my case I can't in good conscience recommend them.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
Don

I saw in the v8 times that LB has a less expensive version of there kits using material that might not be exactly original but close,with the same quality of the more original kits ,give them a call
Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
48fordconv

I got an kit from LB for my 48 Conv. and was very good but should have got all leather. the cloth material is starting to look quite worn for being 5 years old. e-mail me and I tell you about the top material.
48fordconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #19
flatmotor40

Got mine from LB and also the top color had to pay extra to get it to match the oxblood leather.But it is not all leather as you may think with their kits.But fine workmanship.Also bought the top for my Model A from them years ago
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
rotorwrench

The cars I have ended up restoring have not had kits made for them since I don't limit to just Ford cars. I've not seen any photos or videos of the Cartouche shop but there are videos of LBs on Utube. I wish I had the machines that they have to cut patterns. I have to lay the old parts out or make my own patterns and cut with old fashioned Wiss scissors on fabrics and what ever is appropriate on the boards. It takes time and a large clean table to lay the stuff out. My old Consew 206 machine works pretty well to stitch the stuff up. I get some fabrics from LB and some from SMS auto fabrics. You just have to search around for good quality if they don't have what you need. I usually buy pre-made headliners if they are available since they are generally cheaper than what I can make them for. Good leather hides are pretty expensive these days if a person goes that route.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote