Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
dankurth

Default Almost lost my A

I was headed home in my huckster a few weeks ago and had to make a left turn off of a busy two lane highway. The state has painted a right passing lane on the shoulder so turning traffic doesn't hold up following traffic. I used my turn signals and hand signal, and cars were passing to my right, just as they should. Oncoming traffic was at least 1/4 mile away; plenty of room for me so I started to make my turn. Just as I started moving I heard a horn blasting in my left ear so I hit the brakes. A young girl in a ragtop Mustang went roaring past on my left, half in the lane and half on the shoulder, so the oncoming traffic wisely opted for the ditch. As she went by she raised the middle finger of her right hand to proudly display her I.Q. and was holding a phone to her ear with her left hand. I don't know what she was gripping the tiller with. Just a few more feet and there wouldn't have been enough wood left of that huckster body to build a box to plant me in.
I can just imagine the newspaper headline-"Antique car causes crash on RT. 16."
By the way, those always reliable mechanical brakes didn't seem to care that they were bringing whitewall tires to a screaching halt
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
newshirt

Default Re: Almost lost my A

No amount of precaution could have avoided that one. Hand signals, turn signals, whatever... you can't fix stupid.

Glad it turned out okay. Wheeeeeew!

But I do question the effectiveness of some Model A turn signals that are commonly used. I once followed a friend who had them. It took me 5 miles to figure out that he had been using them. The tiny lights just didn't stand out like modern ones, and I didn't even realize they were blinking! They were not in the same location as modern ones, and were too indiscrete for notice. I suppose at night they would be good, but this guy never drives at night.

Maybe a good test might be to have somebody follow you who doesn't know where your lights are. Then ask them later how effective they were. Just a thought...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Michael M

Glad you could drive away from that one!

Probably speaks more to the 'invincibility' of youth rather than the quality of turn signals - hand or otherwise.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
al's28/33

I keep to less travelled roads but even so, people have no patience and don't understand hand signals either. Glad you made it home OK.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i stay off the highways and try and take backroads mostly two laners on in each direction as i feel a lot safer. glad we didnt read about you in the paper, and all that was needed was to change your shorts. i would have popped her with my tommy gun if she gave the finger to me...thats a philly response

maybe she thought you were giving her the finger

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-17-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
...I do question the effectiveness of some Model A turn signals that are commonly used. I once followed a friend who had them. It took me 5 miles to figure out that he had been using them. The tiny lights just didn't stand out like modern ones, and I didn't even realize they were blinking! They were not in the same location as modern ones, and were too indiscrete for notice...
The very reason why I opted for all red LED tail lights that operate just like modern tail/turn signals. I've been told that they are very effective by those who have followed me. I always take the opportunity to remind my friends that "I can't see your turn signals" etc.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
29rdstrpu!

She probably thought you were waving her around with your hand signal, nobody knows what they mean anymore!
29rdstrpu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

I had a guy try to make a U-Turn from the left hand side of the road right in front of me. You are correct, mechanical breaks do work will on white wall tires!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
Jim/GA

A scary reminder of the number of crazy people out there that we are sharing the road with every day. I am glad it all turned out OK for you.

We normally think that the hazard when making a left turn is oncoming traffic that you are turning across... this incident reminds us that there is just as much at risk from the cars approaching and passing us from behind.

If you don't have a side view mirror to check for this sort of thing, you should look into getting one. I have gotten into the habit of checking mine every time I begin to turn left. It has saved me a few times.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
bikejunk

It did not matter to Mustang sally that you were in a modern or antique car she just wasnt paying attention

- modern cars with turn signals and eye level brake lights get in accidents a thousand times a day just glad your A O K
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Pinstripe

Did you get her plate number?
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Terry,NJ

Similar thing happened to me only without the IQ number and the blinkers. I don't have them on my coupe. It's hand signals only! This guy screeched his brakes and stopped a couple of feet short of my door and looked at me sheepishly. Since no tin was crumpled, I could smile. Inwardly I was thinking you jerk, What the hell did you think my hand was out there for? I made a sign HAND SIGNALS ONLY. It attaches to the spare with bungees. People around here are getting to know that at least one car and driver still use them. But Like Mitch, I try to stay off main roads. Discretion is the better part of valor!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
insomniacshotrods

Glad to hear you and your car are fine. I moved 6 miles out of town three years ago, and thought its probably safer in town than out here driving around with all the wild critters,till one day i seen 3 people blow through stop signs in town with in 20 minutes. Im almost too afraid something will happen to the car to drive it. I put on turn signals and a third brake light that also lights when signal is on. Gives me a little bit more peace of mind.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dan,

Just think:

1. If she was holding her phone with her left hand, her left hand was not on the wheel.

2. Then if she blew her horn & raised her right hand & right finger to show her dissatisfaction, her right hand was not on the wheel.

3. Her driving in a half-lane & a half-shoulder with "no" hands on the steering wheel confirms your very intelligent assessment of her I.Q.

4. The morning news could have been:

"Yesterday, a young female driver ran into a Model A Ford while she was driving with no hands on the steering wheel & had one finger in the air!"

5. We are all just so glad you & your vehicle survived such an incidence.!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
TerryH

I agree with Carl on the LED tail and stop lights..... They stand out much better, day or night. I can't imagine driving an A without them. As to hand signals, many others have repeatedly posted that many drivers today do not recognize or understand them.....it might not be a good idea to even use them.....could just cause confusion as to what you are doing!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
dankurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
I keep to less travelled roads but even so, people have no patience and don't understand hand signals either. Glad you made it home OK.
I also like to take back roads but in this case I have no choice; it's the only way in and out of my road. I can remember people using A's around here as daily transportation, way back before civilization set in. The Chesapeake Bay bridge ended a less hectic way of life here on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I also checked my mirrors before I started to turn, then checked oncoming traffic, then, out of nowhere...........
Soon after this happened a woman on my road pulled out of a side street because she thought the stop sign was merely a suggestion. $4k damage to my GMC pickup. But, if I'd been in my A or on my motorcycle.................. And this wqs a "back road."
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
springerpete

About the only thing that would have gotten her attention would be flashing blue lights and I expect your local authorities would not give you the OK on that. I agree with the folks above who advocate for the bright LED lights on both front and back. I have several friends who have the small TS sets that fit between the bumper bars and I find them very difficult to see except in dim light. As they say, nothing cures stupidity. When you are out in your A very defensive driving is the only way.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #18
Big John

turn signal lites should be about size of 3-4 inches mounted on the bumpers such as trailer lites.... forget originality... safety first..... cowl lite signals and original tail lite signals just do not cut it....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #19
Tiny

I'm glad you and your A made it out safe. Everyone here seems to be jumping on the LED light bandwagon or the turnsignals as big as your head. No one has mentioned DEFENSIVE DRIVING and being aware of your surroundings. When driving my A I know were everycar around me is at all times. I anticipate peoples movements and make eye contact when ever possible. Knock on wood, but I haven't had an issue yet. I'm still 6V and I live in CRAZY California. My advice is to take control of the situation don't rely on that little blinking amber bulb on you bumper too.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I'm glad you and your A made it out safe. Everyone here seems to be jumping on the LED light bandwagon or the turnsignals as big as your head. No one has mentioned DEFENSIVE DRIVING and being aware of your surroundings. When driving my A I know were everycar around me is at all times. I anticipate peoples movements and make eye contact when ever possible. Knock on wood, but I haven't had an issue yet. I'm still 6V and I live in CRAZY California. My advice is to take control of the situation don't rely on that little blinking amber bulb on you bumper too.
there ya go thats the way i am also. i know everyone in my vicinity and beyond. i run one tail light and no t/signals...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote