Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
johnneilson

Default Re: C4 trans adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Don't tell anybody I posted this;

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Model%20A.htm
Mike,

Yes this is a very good setup, I have the adaptor plate in the tank right now and a Chevy pattern Sprintcar trans.

I see many cars with multiple adaptors stacked up and the accumulated tolerances can be a challenge. I am looking to put the C4 in a '27 Roadster behind a healthy "B" motor.

Thanks, John

PS. we are not the ones you should worry about with knowledge of you posting this..............
johnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Mike,

Yes this is a very good setup, I have the adaptor plate in the tank right now and a Chevy pattern Sprintcar trans.

I see many cars with multiple adaptors stacked up and the accumulated tolerances can be a challenge. I am looking to put the C4 in a '27 Roadster behind a healthy "B" motor.

Thanks, John

PS. we are not the ones you should worry about with knowledge of you posting this..............
Hey John,
Ha, ha ! I agree that Mike V shouldn't 'worry', as to anyone here anyway. But, I am wondering about him , as he sure comes up with the coolest web site stuff when necessary. Hm, makes one wonder if he has something hidden in the barn !

BTW John, I've checked and found that the tooling necessary to make a complete setup, as that which Mike points us to (for $1150 ?) ..said tooling would be expensive and you would have to sell a lot of 'sets' to recoup ! Basically, that is why the guy that we know did not persue. In that case a guy looking for such kit, might do well to look into the site that Mike gave ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
Richie R

What about the Bert's adaptor?
Runs a Torqueflight 904 from a slant 6.
They are not a bad transmission and the bellhousing pattern almost looks identical to a Model A/B
Richie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie R View Post
What about the Bert's adaptor?
Runs a Torqueflight 904 from a slant 6.
They are not a bad transmission and the bellhousing pattern almost looks identical to a Model A/B
Hey Richie,
Yeah, I've heard that what you've suggested..has been used most and for a long time behind A/Bs. Especially by those who have leg function difficulties . Probably hard to find/locate now..no ?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #25
Richie R

In my country yes, but after a quick look I found 2 of them available and were only available in Australian made cars to the late 60s
I understand the Slant 6 in the States was made well into the 80s so should be easy to find its matching auto?
In some ways I would like to use the Chev auto conversion as I do think a lightweight simple old Powerglide will work well in a A.
But it's hard to purchase the Chev kit at double the price of the Mopar conversion and then have the freight cost too Australia.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
Richie R

Do anyone have pictures of a Model A with a auto fitted, more on its installation and fitting?
I am planing to have hydraulic brakes so can use a universal peddle assy, being RHD makes it the only way I can go with it.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #27
old splicer

c4 to B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (43.6 KB, 32 views)
old splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #28
Y-Blockhead

You might check with Wilcap http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html. They have numerous adapters and claim to have an "extensive library of CAD drawings".

Or be willing to tool up if the demand is great enough. They have been around forever...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by old splicer View Post
c4 to B
Hey splicer,
Thanks for your input/pic.
Is this yours ? I asked to see if you have had it run so far ? Is that alum 'adaptor' the only piece needed ? Looks great/clean, but no center cross member now. A new cross support for trans needed ? And, what are you planning to do about/with rear radius rod attachment

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-18-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: ............
Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #30
old splicer

Hardtimes, I've only run it in up the street and back a couple of times. I made up a K member to hang the trans. There is a short tail C4 that might work better. I have a 4 bar in the rear with a QC Flathead starter ran afoul of the header so I made a mirror image plate and used a gear reduction starter on the drivers side with a 1 inch cutout in the old truck bell To answer the original thread question I mocked up the speedway adaptor using the C4 bell and I don't believe the floorboards were going to make it
old splicer is offline   Reply With Quote