Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #21
KULTULZ

Post Re: 65 Shelby Mustang Hood Prop Instalation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrod View Post

I'm not sure but I think the R models had hood prop rods, street cars had springs.
I am thinking that also as the R did not use hinge springs.

Quote:
In Kultuz's pictures the white car is a 65, and not a R model, but that is not a Shelby vin number, The red car is a 66, I know for sure they did not have a prop rod.

Quote:
1965 Vin Numbers

Locations:

1 - The numbers are stamped into the aluminum manufacturer's plate which is pop-riveted to the driver's side inner fender panel, over the Ford VIN at the notch in the fender edge. It is visible when the hood is open.

2 - Stamped into the passenger's side inner front fender panel, approximately halfway between the radiator support and the firewall. Visible when the hood is open.

3 - Ford serial number stamped into inner fender panel; one covered by Shelby serial number plate, other two covered by edge of the front fenders, not visible when the hood is open.

4 - Ford door data plates were not installed at the factory; holes were drilled and are sometimes filled with rivets but no data plates were used.

SOURCE of INFO - http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1965/1965VIN.shtml

I bought a 67 GT500 in 1973. It had a MD TITLE on it but when I went to the MD MVA to register it, the clerk had me go out and stencil the plate.

It was not a FORD PRODUCTION WARRANTY PLATE.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Did they early Falcons have prop rods? Also wondering if there is a hold down for the loose end when stored?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Did you read the URL? It describes the hold down method.
Quote:
Someone told me that a bolt is used to wedge the prop rod when hood is closed - and no clip!

See if I can blow-up those photos -
Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #23
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 65 Shelby Mustang Hood Prop Instalation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Did they early Falcons have prop rods? Also wondering if there is a hold down for the loose end when stored?

Interesting question and it just dawned on me ...

I sometimes think I am like Kelly Bundy, each new factoid replaces an old one ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOOD SUPT ROD - 1960-63 FALCON.JPG (82.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #24
flatrod

Default Re: 65 Shelby Mustang Hood Prop Instalation

Shelby was building cars. If a guy was sent out do install prop rods in 5 cars, then the next day a different guy was sent out to install prop rods, you would have 10 cars with hole in ten different places. Ford sent templates with things like mirrors, antennas, Shelby did not! Vins, 65 vins are 5Sxxx or 5Rxxx, 66 is 6Sxxx. Kultulz, does that look like a 5O12 to you? 67 Shelby vins started with 67xxxxxxx. People have troubles at DMV all the time on the Shelby vins, as DMV sees it as just a Mustang. I have on mine as well. I have been with Shelby American member since 1975 when the club started, I am also a former Mustang club of America judge. But what do I know, I'm old fart and forgot where the front is!

Slumlord, I hope you get your car all finished up to your liking, and some "a" hole like me does not come up and say "hey you got your prop rod hole a 1/8" off! Enjoy your car as I have my 5 different Shelby's over the years.

Last edited by flatrod; 03-14-2020 at 10:52 AM.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #25
KULTULZ

Question Re: 65 Shelby Mustang Hood Prop Instalation

Quote:
Ford sent templates with things like mirrors, antennas, Shelby did not!
You really need to raise up a bit and pull that Marvin out. If unable to engage in a conversation with others, the little blue pill helps immensely.

I don't think FORD installed prop rods on the 65 MUST or had the gall to inform SHELBY how to go about it.

Were you employed by SHELBY during this time period? If not, how are you privy to all the assembly details? I stand in awe !!!

OH ... BTW...

You need to contact SAAC and inform them that their knowledge and research are not to your personal specifications. We don't want any false/inaccurate information being circulated on the net.

EDIT-

Quote:
I hope you get your car all finished up to your liking, and some "a" hole like me does not come up and say "hey you got your prop rod hole a 1/8" off!

I believe that was his post intent. Close is only good in hand grenades and thermonuclear warfare.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-14-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #26
KULTULZ

OK ...

Below is an ILL of a 62/63 FALCON w hood prop. It seems to me (maybe not others) that it is very similar to the 65 GT350R install -

The spring you were asking about has a BPN of 16832. FORD used a hold down shown as BPN 16A876 on the ILL.

Please consider perusing - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1584203309 - for more detailed info. It has to be somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOOD SUPT ROD - 1962 FACON.JPG (69.9 KB, 20 views)