Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
100550dvr

Default Using an Optima Battery with an F1/F47 Truck

I am restoring a 1950 F47 (Canadian built version of an F1) truck and it is time to purchase a battery. While the easy solution would be to install a conventional 6VDC, wet battery, I have had excellent results using sealed, AGM-type batteries in other applications, including automobiles and aircraft. I realize there is much archive information pertaining to Optima batteries, but I do not feel the information specifically answers my concern. Here goes:

Does anyone have past experience mounting a 6VDC Optima battery in an "original" reproduction type battery box in an F1/F47? Will the original length of the battery tray stud and J hook accommodate the additional vertical height of the Optima battery/reproduction box? Any other issues or words of wisdom I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help and advice,
100550dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
WABOOM

Default Re: Using an Optima Battery with an F1/F47 Truck

.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232842422776
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
WABOOM

This is what I was going to buy. The battery goes inside a box that looks like an old battery. Pretty clever.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
Tinker

I think if your creative enough and patience enough you can make one also. Think there is a few threads on it. If this is a points car it might not cut the mustard.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Perhaps not the same, but I just put a 6 volt Optima Red Top in my '40 sedan. The Optima is the exact same height as the old Group 1 lead acid battery it replaced. Lengthwise, it was a perfect fit in the reproduction (OEM style) battery box. The Optima is much narrower of course (3 1/2") so I just centered it in the battery tray, made a strap out of 3/16" flat stock, drilled matching holes in the strap and battery tray and bolted it down with two 1/4" all-thread pieces about 8 1/2" long.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

P.S. I'm not trying to impress any snotty judges. My car is to drive and enjoy, not serve as shade for a patch of grass at some show.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
Tinker

'Ah good. then anything goes. Ive had good luck with 6v optimas. It's great you can install them upside down if you like.

I have a lot of respect for keeping it "for real" I don't think they are snotty it's just what it is. No less, no more.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #8
Paul Bennett

You don't seem interested in authenticity so I'd recommend using a bracket from Mike's Affordable Model A Supply for the Optima 6v batteries. I'm using that mount for my Optima 6v battery as it provides quite a bit more space in the engine compartment.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #9
tubman

I bought one of the cases (as shown) for the Optima in my '51. It was expensive (almost $100), and had to be reworked to fit correctly. In the end, it worked out OK, but it has a fairly "generic" look to it. About a year ago, I was at the local NAPA, and there, sitting on the floor was a Ford script reproduction battery that someone had traded in as a core. I was able to buy it for the core charge, $10. One of these days, I am going to "gut" it and use this case. One problem I see with it is that it is about 1" shorter than the Optima so I'll have to cut the bottom off and rig some kind of an extension. I guess what I'm saying is that there is no easy solution, but if you bite the bullet, you can come up with something decent.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #10
Frank Miller

Gutting an old case works. You need an extension for the posts as well. My dad just made an extension out of wood for the bottom and painted it black. It does not show on the bottom. Last year I left my headlights on for an hour by accident. The Optima fired it right up. It took a while for the charging system to return to normal but it worked fine.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
chap52

Here's the link to Mikes Affordable Model A optima hold down that Paul posted. Several of the Model A suppliers carry them. Mike's is $12, Berts $15. Chap

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A5166OP.html
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
redmodelt

My 48 F2 call for a group 2 battery, which is larger then standard 6 volt. While yours is an F1 type you might want to check your tray size first. The tray might be longer so the standard hold down will not work, the mounting bolts would not line up with the hold down.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
100550dvr

Thanks for the information. What I was thinking about was a configuration as posted by WABOOM. My concern was if the extra height of the Optima battery (5/8 inch) would prevent the hold down from securing the battery box because the J-hook and threaded stud were too short.

I believe the original battery was a Group 2. I will take some measurements to determine a direction to follow.

Thanks
100550dvr is offline   Reply With Quote