Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Regular maintenance and tour courtacy

Every car whether it's restored or not needs regular maintenance. I always start with REBUILDING the 5 bolt on's to the engine.
1. Water pump
2. Distributor
3. Carburetor
4. Starter
5. Generator

Then if the engine is unknown, drop the oil pan and remove the side cover and clean out all the junk.

Remove all 4 brake drums and repack the wheel bearings and check the brakes and do repairs and adjustments as needed.

Check the steering and suspension and all related parts.

Drain and refill the tranny and rear end with correct new fluid. grease every fitting and oil many moving parts.

Now the car should be ready to start and tour without some common failure. It isn't fair to tour in a group with a car that really isn't ready for the road. If you wouldn't tour alone, why would you tour in a group? A dry wheel bearing, or worn out water pump can hold up the entire group, and if you are stuck on the side of the road, that just adds to the safety issue.

Just yesterday I saw a water pump where the shaft moved in and out an inch, and the fan was so loose on the shaft that it flopped around and sliced some radiator tubes. This one went home on the flatbed, so it didn't hold up the group, but this is just one example of regular maintenance that apparently has never been done to the pump.

Hopefully repairs and maintenance are done at home and tours are kept free of problems. It's also a good idea to drive the car on a regular basis, even if it's just around the neigborhood, so you know how it's working and feel confident that it really is ready for a long tour with the group.

You'll have the occasional flat tire, or maybe even a deer hit, but you shouldn't be broke down due to a dry tranny, or wheel bearing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Regular maintenance and tour courtacy

Tom, could not have said it better myself. In fact I have mentioned it before. Granted stuff happens. What your asking is the least anyone can do that wants to tour with a group. Another recommendation I have is when a breakdown does occur there should be just a select few that assist. Opinions are like.............well .everyone has one. That way diagnosing and repair are a lot faster AND you don't have 20-40 fannies hanging out in the road just waiting to get an azz full of fender by a passer-by.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote