Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
johndee138

Default 6v radio on a 12v system

I have a 6v + grnd radio that has been restored. My car is now 12v -grnd.
Should I switch the radio polarity and voltage or is there a voltage converter that will save me the trouble, and some $$?
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
richard crow

Default Re: 6v radio on a 12v system

if your radio has a vibarator which most old style radios had. ground polarty does not mater just get a 12-6 volte reducer
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
gearhead1952

The vibrator can be replaced with a negative ground one if it has been replaced with a solid state unit. Pull it out and look at the numbers on it.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
koates

John, you need to be very specific and describe exactly what radio you have. I see you have a 1936 Ford so is the radio an original FORD centre control tube radio ? Those Ford tube radios will operate on negative and positive ground provided it has its original points type vibrator still fitted. If it has a replacement electronic vibrator/power supply fitted then you need to know what it is designed for. Don't run it on 12 volts if it is a 6 volt radio. Tube radios draw approx. 6 amps so a voltage reducing unit or a resistor needs to be able to handle that current draw. Generally speaking tube radios are not able to be internally converted from 6 to 12 volts easily. Give us more information. Regards. Kevin.
koates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
johndee138

I had the 1936 radio restored by a local radio hobbyist. At the time my car was 6v+grnd, and the radio is 6v+ as well. The radio hasn't been installed since it came back from him. (too many other pressing mechanical issues ahead of it) As time has passed and I have used the car , I realized that better lighting was necessary as well as other benefits to having 12v. Hence the conversion from 6-12. I think the rebuild does have a 6v solid state unit in it. Perhaps my best move would be to return it to the radio fella and let him rearrange the voltage and polarity. Or just sell off the restored 6v unit and have another box converted with modern guts that will operate with the dash mounted control head. OR fugidaboudit and put a remote unit in the trunk with a wireless control. Keeping the dash face for looks.
Opinions, suggestions, snarky comments? All are welcome!!
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Just ask the one that did the restoration if its solidstate converted and in that case if he has another unit to fit instead.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
34pickup

If you intend to actually listen to the radio it might be more practical to get another head and convert it to AM/FM and sell the restored one to someone who wants to keep theirs original. There are very limited choices to listen to on AM in today's world. I am going to go this route with my car.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote