Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
PeteVS

Default Fluid Film

So, I've been cleaning up and gathering parts to put together a banjo rear. Stuff I've cleaned, I sprayed with Fluid Film (a rust preventative product.) Do I want to clean that all off before I go setting bearing preloads and stuff or can I do that work with it still in place? Then, do I want to clean it off before final assembly? I think it's a lanolin based product and I don't know if that will behave with 600 weight oil. Thanks!

(Boy, does water raise hell with bearings and gears!)
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Fluid Film

First off there really is no such thing as 600 weight gear oil. What is referred to as 600W is Mobil oil developed for steam engines and the 600w is the product name, not a weight. It uses the ISO VG rating. Also (and I just recently learned this!) the w has nothing to do with weight, it is a winter rating and the normal w you see has nothing to do with the w after the 600, just a product name! It is in the range on 140 gear oil but does not really have the proper additives for a rear axle. Why would you want to use it, Ford never recommended it? You are much better off selecting a modern gear oil based on the weather conditions you expect to drive in.

As for the protective coating, I really have no idea, but to be on the safe side I would remove as much of it as you can easily.

You need a gear oil developed for the gears in the rear axle, the early oils were for straight cut gears. As the rear axle does not have any "yellow" metal like a transmission would, GL5 is fine or GL4 if you like it better. If you already have the 600w some suppliers sale, I believe it is just 140 gear oil they repackage and would most like work, but I would prefer to know what I was really using!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Viscosity 2.jpg (45.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 04-10-2016 at 03:21 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Fluid Film

I don't know about your trans or rear gears but I just found out about Fluid Film, a friend has a lot of heavy equipment and chains that have to lubed every once in a wild, he found out about that Fluid Film and sprayed his chains and it stayed a long time, I under stand that some sprays the whole under of there trucks and equipment. My friend brought a 59ab engine to me that had the heads off along time, he sprayed the head surface, I don't know how long ago but the head studs came out easy. It sounds good for what it's made for. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote