Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Rumble Lid Outer Skin Replacement

I’ve decided to replace the outer skin on the rumble lid on my ‘29 Sport Coupe project. One of the previous owners of the car folded the lower edge of the outer skin up to make the lid close after a minor rear-end collision. It;s now badly rusted and I don’t see an easy way that I can repair it other than replacing the entire outer skin.

has anyone done this before ? If so, do you have any tips for replacing the outer skin….especially removing the original sheet metal ?

thanks in advance - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:59 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Rumble Lid Outer Skin Replacement

I’ve done it many times. Be aware the replacement skins are/were a bit wide.
I’m removing the old skin there are spit welds along the side hems that have to be cut out.
When replacing, be sure the lid is in a proper plane to fit the car before securing
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bill is correct on several aspects. The repro skin does not have any crown and is just flat sheet-stock. The skin actually narrows up a tad when the skin is run thru the English Wheel to induce the crown. Sometimes that is enough. We actually have a wooden jig made to place deck skin and inner structure in to tack the two together. Then use a deck of cards as shims to start fitting the deck door in between the quarters. Like Bill, we weld the edge of the skin to the infrastructure.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
Harpkatt

I just finished up doing the same, built one lid from two. Took way longer than I was hoping since I was trying not to destroy or distort either piece.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
CA Victoria

My two cents.
For someone to do it and come out right, even with some of the correct tools your money would be best spent to have an experienced restoration shop fit the new skin.
Using a jig fit to & tack weld it is solid advice.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #6
Conaway2

Bill, Brent, Harpkatt, Tim - thanks for your comments. Since I have not done this before, I’m reading your comments carefully. There are a couple of guys near me in the Charleston, SC, area who have fabricated Model A body parts…I plan to see if they may be able to help me with this job. I’ll post some pics when I start working on this deck lid.

Jim
Old 11-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bill is correct on several aspects. The repro skin does not have any crown and is just flat sheet-stock. The skin actually narrows up a tad when the skin is run thru the English Wheel to induce the crown. Sometimes that is enough. We actually have a wooden jig made to place deck skin and inner structure in to tack the two together. Then use a deck of cards as shims to start fitting the deck door in between the quarters. Like Bill, we weld the edge of the skin to the infrastructure.
Brent, in the absence of an English wheel, is there an easy way to create the crown in the repro outer skin ?
Thanks - Jim
Old 11-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #8
Conaway2

I spent some time this morning taking a closer look at the deck lid I have, and am now thinking that the best thing to do is forget using this one and find a ood used original deck lid. It will certainly be simpler.

The inner panel is missing a lot of metal at the bottom.

I can always use this one as a temporary deck lid until I can find another one.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
Oldbluoval

I think you’ve hit it. When you separate inner and outer skin you’re going to be even more disappointed in that one.
Also, a bottom inner panel patch is not available. It has compound curvature and not easily made without some specialty tools and expertise
Old 11-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #10
rotorwrench

A person can push metal around with the right shape hammer & back up with blows placed in the proper grid pattern & sequence. Needless to mention that the wheel roller makes it much easier than pounding on it with a hammer. Some folks use the wheel and some use a power hammer then there are those that use both. There are folks that just use a hammer and a steel table because they can't afford the alternative but they have to have a lot of patience and accuracy of blows.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-31-2022 at 04:38 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
Model "A" Fords

Just for interest, the fellow that did my 1929 went to the wrecking yard with a templet of the curve and tested car roofs until he found a match. He said he did this quite often to make panels on cars he restored.
That was in the late seventies so it probably would be more difficult with modern car constructon today.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #12
Oldbluoval

Yep…there used to be junk or salvage yard; now they’re uppity recycle centers! Now they won’t let you walk around a look. Probably liability. When I was younger and things different, the biggest liability came from copperhead snakes! Perusing used to be my buddy and my Sunday afternoon event.