Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Rear Axle Play

Pulled my rear end today to investigate a serious noise problem. I disconnected the u-joint and removed the rear backing plates. Had a spring spreader and it worked great.

The first thing I noticed before any further dismantling was that the axle on both sides had a lot of play in them. You could wiggle them around quite a lot. I noticed before starting the project that both rear wheels had some wobble but attributed that to my wheels.

Is this play typical on rear axles or something I need to address? All thoughts and help appreciated.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Rear Axle Play

Up & down play at the outer end of axles is NORMAL. When installed, the HUB & its bearing keeps the axles centered.
Bill W.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 AM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Pulled my rear end today to investigate a serious noise problem. I disconnected the u-joint and removed the rear backing plates. Had a spring spreader and it worked great.

The first thing I noticed before any further dismantling was that the axle on both sides had a lot of play in them. You could wiggle them around quite a lot. I noticed before starting the project that both rear wheels had some wobble but attributed that to my wheels.

Is this play typical on rear axles or something I need to address? All thoughts and help appreciated.
When you removed the rear axle NUT, how much effort/torque to loosen it ?
The torque on that nut is what keeps the drum /bearings in place properly !
Did you try to tighten those rear axle nuts to see if looseness might have been you noise/problem ?
That nut should have 100 lbs torque (at least), as the torque and proper spindle mating to drum, is what keeps the drums tight/right .

Some think that the key does that job...but that is not so and believing that can lead to not checking/rechecking rear axle nut torque from time/time.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:44 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

It appears that what you are doing is equivalent to what many Model A owners have done before, i.e., dismantling a Model A differential for the first time after not having read how they are built, how they function, and/or how they should be maintained.

Nothing like investigating and exploring an unknown unique Model A mechanical area ..... congratulations on same.

Please search for and read Mr. Tom Endy's instructions on how to rebuild Model A differentials.

Rather than trying to obtain getting one (1) question answered at a time, and rather than bouncing around for weeks trying to read the many past different Model A differential articles written, the invaluable concise information Mr. Endy has written and provided in one set of instructions on Model A differentials can best logically answer the majority of any Model A owners questions, even prior to further Model A differential disassembly.

Hope this helps for a successful Model A differential project.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-14-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Pinesdune

Hope this helps

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...vised-2014.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Even with cut away rear ends, in High School, it took me a LOT of time to figger out the axle & spider gears & "HOW" they worked!!
Bill Dense