Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #21
Vics Stuff

Default Re: Location of members?

I agree with WestCoast. If we were to have some problems maybe someone could help with recomendations in that area.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
the reason to let people know where your at , state at least, if we can see your 400 miles away we wont respond to the post because we know we cant help, but on the other hand we may know some one near who can be of help
It's not always about someone needing assistance when they are out on the road somewhere broken down. It could be a request from someone wanting to know where they can get their flathead engine rebuilt, or where they can find good quality replacement parts to buy. If a person living in Australia is asking where he could get his engine rebuilt, and we have no clue as to where he/she is actually located, all I would be able to suggest would be FH engine builders who I am familiar with here in the USA, which would probably be totally worthless information to the person in Australia who refuses to give some basic info on their general location. Maybe one solution is not to respond with any type of help at all to those who do not have their basic location listed in their avatar. Comments regarding this logic, from those without their approximate location listed in their Avatar, would be most welcome.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
the cooch

I don't mind describing a vague location on a forum, but printing the Early V8 club roster showing the street address and kind of vehicles a person has there is an unsafe practice these days. Make sure you shred your old ones, haha! Why not just phone number and interests listing? Strangely, people older than me (like my folks) and younger people (20's) that I work around assume that the internet is just as accurate and real and as safe and authentic as any experience going on in front of them. Maybe I'm the only one from a bad neighborhood that builds old Fords- yeah right. I set up a fictitious character, on line, for the truck I'm building for fun, 'cause the vehicle has more character than my dumb ass. Anyone can hit you with a p.m. and talk on the phone or just meet up. When Barners need help they can throw a message up on the forum, or if some one is nearby with a vague location, good enough. No location in a profile doesn't hurt my feelings, any one here could be a 9 year old girl with a couple of old magazines at times. It's awesome that you guys started this a long time ago and its value is immeasurable. I for one love courtesy too, but these days theres nothing wrong with keeping the location of your stash a little vague as fools can google map your whole damn yard. Privacy was written into the Constitution because its' really important and easily taken for granted.
-Chris, in Boulder.
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #24
deuce_roadster

Seems to me that listing your city and state is not enough info for someone with bad intentions to find your place but enough that a Barner in the vicinity could get relevant info on where to get products or services. I think the Fordbarn has it just right.

There will always be folks who worry about "the black helicopters" and have tripwires and such to prevent the (insert any group, government, etc) here from imagined transgressions.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
Grandadeo

Sounds like there's a need for a Ford Barn Tinfoil Hat Social Group.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wright View Post
I'm in Reno this week!?
I am driving to Pa in the morning....whoops, I should not of mentioned that

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am driving to Pa in the morning....whoops, I should not of mentioned that
Now your in trouble, everyone one on the Barn will know where your going!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote