Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
dan

Default A quick update on school

Hi all,

Thought I'd post an update from Kansas. I'm extremely busy--full time work 45 hours a week, 10 hours a week of school, three kids (7,4,1), new (to us) house--but really enjoying school. This semester I took the "survey" or intro class and automotive trim (upholstery). It's been interesting learning to sew on an industrial machine--we're at the point where we're attempting to create an 1/8th scale seat from scratch.

Here's some photos of the school. I think if school had been a bit more like this on my first go-round I wouldn't have dropped out and joined the Army.

dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: A quick update on school

Wow!

Very cool. Please keep posting your progress, I for one am living vicariously (and with a bit of Envy) through you!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Joe will be your electrical teacher. He is a retired NASA electrical engineer. He is beyond brilliant and has the rare hands-brain combination. Take every course you can from him, and pick his brains.
Dove is your trim teacher. He is knowlegeable but seems to hold back. Pick his brains, too. Go to a junkyard and get a horrible bucket seat and upholster it. Because of the concavity of this type of seat, they are very different to work on than flat bench seats more common in older cars
Garrett is the head of the program and teaches paint (somewhat outdated) and machine shop stuff like lathe work. You are working with machines that are worn and have lost close tolerance but are expected to do a piece to .001. Caution there, he uses a super-expensive micrometer to judge/grade your work. Someone needs to speak up about that. Caution, he can put the kibash on you.
You will enjoy and learn a lot no matter what!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
dr.j

Now that's what I call a shop; wish it was in my bark yard!
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
Wow!

Very cool. Please keep posting your progress, I for one am living vicariously (and with a bit of Envy) through you!
Me too!