Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
bobusnick104

Default What's it worth?

Barners,
I saw this on Craig's list and it caught my eye. I have a friend, recently retired and he is interested in my Model A's and may be ready for his own. Advertised as all original, if I didn't have so many projects I would look into it myself. It's in the Morgantown area of WV, a short drive. What would be your offer? Thanks for your opinion.

https://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/5649015906.html

I hope the link is valid
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: What's it worth?

If I was looking for this model, I would think the price was close, at least in my area. And I might even buy it, with the following caveats: I would ask why they replaced the ammeter, and if they kept the original, and why the dome light has been removed. Do they still have the original carb and engine splash pans? Does it have original shocks and links? How does it sound and how does it drive? Is the glass all good? If original, it will be plate except the windshield. Low mileage originals are nice to have.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 07-11-2016 at 11:28 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Obviously a drive on the highway will tell you more but I am thinking this is a fair price and I am usually lower on my Estimation than the majority. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-12-2016 at 06:11 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Looks like a pretty nice survivor. Without driving it I can't say if the price is right, but if the steering, brakes and drivetrain all work perfectly then it's in the ball park. The instrument light wire needs to be moved up to the notch.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
mhsprecher

Wow. Looks darned good to me.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
eagle

Thats a very good price for a slantwindow. It will NOT be perfect, will need lots of dinging, for crying out loud you will too when you get that old!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Pmsqrd

There only original once. Needs black walls. Love the pinstripe on the dash. Price is fair by California standards.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
holdover

If I wasn't restoring a AA, I'de drive over and take a look. The asking price isn't too bad and it might be bought for less. Funny how those 100 dollar bills work.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 AM   #9
DougVieyra

$11,500 is a good price by Northern California standards/values - IF it runs and drives well, and NO Fibreglass fenders. Looks like it is on a CraigsList post.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
inex01

Fair price and you just can not beat a slant window for comfort.... I really like mine
Old 07-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
ronn

If I was looking for this model, I would think the price was close, at least in my area. And I might even buy it, with the following caveats: I would ask why they replaced the ammeter, and if they kept the original, and why the dome light has been removed. Do they still have the original carb and engine splash pans? Does it have original shocks and links? How does it sound and how does it drive? Is the glass all good? If original, it will be plate except the windshield. Low mileage originals are nice to have.

x2 probably can be bought for 10k, but the price is right.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
burner31

I paid 1/3 the price for mine (Murray), but then again it was not nearly as nice as this one.
Cash is king, with money in hand a bargain can be struck.
'31 slant town sedan is a very desirable model.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I paid 1/3 the price for mine (Murray), but then again it was not nearly as nice as this one.
'31 slant town sedan is a very desirable model.

I would particularly agree with Keith, in that cash in hand is critical if you plan to wheedle the price down.

Looks like a nice car, although with 41,000 miles on the clock, I wonder what kind of the shape the engine and running gear are really in.... hopefully as nice as the rest of the vehicle appears to be.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
ronn

31 slant town sedan is a very desirable model

and yet, I see them come up for very reasonable prices and really no more then the rest of the sedans................. have to wonder why?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
I would particularly agree with Keith, in that cash in hand is critical if you plan to wheedle the price down.

Looks like a nice car, although with 41,000 miles on the clock, I wonder what kind of the shape the engine and running gear are really in.... hopefully as nice as the rest of the vehicle appears to be.
I personally don't find 41,000 miles to be excessive! Wayne
Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
bobusnick104

Well it must have been a decent deal because it's sold!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
Cool Hand Lurker

“If I wasn't restoring a AA, I'de drive over and take a look. The asking price isn't too bad and it might be bought for less. Funny how those 100 dollar bills work.

I would particularly agree with ****, in that cash in hand is critical if you plan to wheedle the price down”

YOU HAVEN’T EVEN SEEN THE CAR !!!
This is what is wrong with Model A guys and the big reason so many A’s get sold for street rods. If it is worth what they are asking then pay the price.

Anybody who calls on one of my ads and first thing he asks is “what’s the lowest you will take?” is not a serious buyer for MY Stuff. If they don’t want to take a look at it first or if they come and offer a low ball figure I just tell them to keep looking….. someplace else.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobusnick104 View Post
Well it must have been a decent deal because it's sold!
Timing is everything, he who hesitates is lost! Wayne
Old 07-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
mike657894

isnt that body tag in the wrong location. mine is under the floor board on my briggs
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
“If I wasn't restoring a AA, I'de drive over and take a look. The asking price isn't too bad and it might be bought for less. Funny how those 100 dollar bills work.

I would particularly agree with ****, in that cash in hand is critical if you plan to wheedle the price down”

YOU HAVEN’T EVEN SEEN THE CAR !!!
This is what is wrong with Model A guys and the big reason so many A’s get sold for street rods. If it is worth what they are asking then pay the price.

Anybody who calls on one of my ads and first thing he asks is “what’s the lowest you will take?” is not a serious buyer for MY Stuff. If they don’t want to take a look at it first or if they come and offer a low ball figure I just tell them to keep looking….. someplace else.

I've been on both sides of the equation...

If I'm selling, I determine my bottom line, and set my asking price somewhat higher, allowing wiggle room. If easing a bit on the price means closing the deal w/o me losing money, ok. If I don't "need" to sell the piece and it's not costing me anything to wait for my price, then I can wait. By the same token, I don't care for low-ballers or tire-kickers, and if I feel that's what I'm dealing with, then the price firms-up real quick or I tell them to move along.

If I'm buying, unless the price is ridiculously low, I'm going to try to bargain a bit. May or may not produce results. But an offer should not be such a low-ball number as to be offensive to the seller, unless the item in question is truly a worthless pile of junk (which does not seem to be the case with this slant window).

If you have serious intentions of purchasing the vehicle, then have cash in hand, or a certified check ready before you start trying to talk the seller down, and get a bill of sale. Too often, when the buyer "has to come back with the money", the seller has changed their mind.

If you don't have the ready cash, don't waste the seller's time.

Sadly, with the advent of e-Bay, and Barrett-Jackson, American Pickers, etc., any/every old thing is "very rare and priceless", regardless of condition.

As for "so many Model A's being sold to rodders"... well, many of them (rodders) seem to have a fair amount of disposable money and will pay the asking price for a nice car.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 07-13-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
Keith True

I have sold quite a bit of stuff,and a lot that belonged to other people because they didn't want to deal with buyers.On Model A's and British bikes I set the price,and that is it.I drive my stake in the sand and stay right there.Cash doesn't melt me down into a puddle,I don't drool and get weak minded at the sight of it.British bike guys,(and A guys)will stand around picking on piddling little things,trying to chisel the price.At some point you have to pay them to haul the car or bike off.I really think the internet has done it.In the last 10 years some people have gotten downright insulting.They've learned things like,negotiating points,or,never pay the asking price.I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.Something hit me in the head,it was a paper airplane made out of a check.A street rod guy was waiting for the A guys to get done,after all they were first in line and had first chance.When he heard the $3500.offer he sailed the check at me.I offered them the chance to match it,but the rod guy got it.It is running around now with a flat V8 in it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.
I had that type of action (not quite as bad) when I put my 28 Roadster up for sale recently. I would tell them 'It's not perfect - if it didn't have those little things wrong with it, I would have put the price higher.' Actually I told them everything that I knew was wrong.
I sold it locally (no advertising - other than a sign on it at a car show) in three weeks. The buyer actually looked at it on it's first day on the market, said he 'had to talk to his wife.' Forgot all about him. Three weeks later he called me on his way back down from a Car Show up north (saw what he could get for that price) - said he had money in hand, bring it over.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
brum1

if run and drives, I would suggest buy for that money
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Great original "deluxe" edition of a flagship model of the Model A Ford line. Super hard to find a car like that these days. About the only thing I'd do to that car would be to get rid of the white wall tires and put on black walls. Drive and enjoy as is . . .
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Great original "deluxe" edition of a flagship model of the Model A Ford line. Super hard to find a car like that these days. About the only thing I'd do to that car would be to get rid of the white wall tires and put on black walls. Drive and enjoy as is . . .
Cap
U Forgot one more thing you would need to do
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #26
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I have sold quite a bit of stuff,and a lot that belonged to other people because they didn't want to deal with buyers.On Model A's and British bikes I set the price,and that is it.I drive my stake in the sand and stay right there.Cash doesn't melt me down into a puddle,I don't drool and get weak minded at the sight of it.British bike guys,(and A guys)will stand around picking on piddling little things,trying to chisel the price.At some point you have to pay them to haul the car or bike off.I really think the internet has done it.In the last 10 years some people have gotten downright insulting.They've learned things like,negotiating points,or,never pay the asking price.I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.Something hit me in the head,it was a paper airplane made out of a check.A street rod guy was waiting for the A guys to get done,after all they were first in line and had first chance.When he heard the $3500.offer he sailed the check at me.I offered them the chance to match it,but the rod guy got it.It is running around now with a flat V8 in it.
Keith,

Illustrative, if sad, story about the Coupe.

I was taught decades before the internet "never to pay asking price" (unless it's an undisputable bargain as-priced), and that the "list of deficiencies" is more of a tool for you the buyer to set a ceiling, rather than an active bargaining tool with the seller (I've tried it that why, thinking I was being rational and "fair" to the seller, but it usually just made them mad...)

A few times, I've made a counter-offer, and if declined, left my contact info with the seller with the request to "be in touch if something changes"... that has brought favorable results a few times.

It is my observation that Model A guys can be a "thrifty" bunch sometimes (myself included)... many of us do not have deep pockets, and for the most part, the Model A Ford is still the cheapest option for a car from that era...

The '31 Slant that started the thread looked like a very respectable example, and was probably fairly priced, if the mechanicals were in comparable condition to the cosmetics... it must have been okay if it is gone.

SC Frank
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #27
Keith True

I bought my roadster in 02 because the A guys that had looked at it kept trying to lowball the seller.It wasn't running,had sat since 72 in a dry cellar,was rock solid and had 31000 miles on it.The chiselers started in and got nowhere.The owner knew what he had,and was going to wait for the right buyer.I looked,paid,and am still driving it.I don't get mad at people,some just don't know any better and have no idea they are insulting people.I am still polite to them,they might come back,or just decide to pay the price.The ones I really pay no attention to are the ones that call me and say,you've had that up to sell for three months now,it's time to drop the price and sell it to me.I usually say,if it don't sell in a few more years I'll think about dropping the price.For the class of A's I work around I have truly found that the street rodders set the prices.What seems to happen is a guy sells his old Mustang,or Camaro,to build a rod.The first thing they do is go out and buy the most solid old car,usually an A,they can find to build from.Some will try to justify it to themselves by saying they will sell the running gear and other parts and get a lot of their money back,but after looking at the extra parts for a couple of years they tend to just unload the leftovers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote