Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default 40 Ford Coup back seat question

I recently bought a 40 Ford coup project car. My question deals with what the back seat area should look like. I know this model came in various back seat features , like Opera Coup, Business Coup and just 5 Window Coup.
This project has a package trey ledge and wooden frame for it. But I also received a back seat back that is wooden framed with hinges on the top edge. So my question is......did the original models come with either/or a package trey OR a full seat??? Could it have both ?
Also, what about the support braces running vertically up and down, would that be different in the different models??
I looked for some info on this but couldn't find any, can anybody give me some answers to this???
Thanks so much for any ideas,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Gumpy

Default Re: 40 Ford Coup back seat question

The coupe only had the solid back seat not the split back with brackets on either side on top, I believe all a deluxe and standard coupe had a package and the opera coupe had the rear jump seats...
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
steve fritz

Are you saying that its possible to have the package trey AND a full back seat , with a back rest and seat bottom ??
Seems to me that the package trey would make it impossible to have seating back there????
Steve
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Terry,OH

The 5-Window coupe has the package tray. The business coupe has the two fold down opera seats. The floor on the two models is different (so you can not have both or re-model a 5-W into a Business coupe, without a bit of work) as well as the metal support bracing in the trunk for the spare tire. The business coupe had a split back bench seat so passengers could enter the rear seating area. The 5-Window had a one piece backrest seat that hinged on the top of the backrest so the area at the immediate rear of the seat could be accessed. Std. or Deluxe these are features of the two different coupes.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 02-27-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: changed "back" to "backrest"
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
steve fritz

Terry,

So the Business Coup has a split back front seat so passengers can get to the back seat area and sit on two flip down "opera seats". And it does not have a package trey.
The 5-Window Coup has a solid back FRONT seat( not split), a package trey , and only a one piece back seat backrest, nothing to sit on. And this upholstered and springed backrest is hinged on the top edge to flip up and allow access to the trunk area. How does this back seat stay in the up position ??

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PICTURE OF THESE TWO STYLES? OR IS THERE ANY PLACE AVAILABLE TO GET SOME PICTURES PLEASE???
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
oldskool

I had a 40 deluxe coupe that had a large package tray no back seat or jump seats either, bench front seat that was hindged at the top to access or store behind seat,what did I have?
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Chris in MA

Steve, Here you go:
5-Window Coupe -

Business Coupe:

Chris
Chris in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

The only back seats that were available in a 40 coupe is the small seats that fold down from the side and like has been already mentioned you cannot put these seats in a car with the package tray cause the floors are different. No coupes had a full backseat in 40.
Ken/Alabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
I recently bought a 40 Ford coup project car. My question deals with what the back seat area should look like. I know this model came in various back seat features , like Opera Coup, Business Coup and just 5 Window Coup.
This project has a package trey ledge and wooden frame for it. But I also received a back seat back that is wooden framed with hinges on the top edge. So my question is......did the original models come with either/or a package trey OR a full seat??? Could it have both ?
Also, what about the support braces running vertically up and down, would that be different in the different models??
I looked for some info on this but couldn't find any, can anybody give me some answers to this???
Thanks so much for any ideas,
Steve
It sounds like what you are calling a back seat is in reality the back for the front seat.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
MuskegonFlatheadFan

Here is a couple more threads on this subject;
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37636
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121557
MuskegonFlatheadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
steve fritz

Chris in MA...thanks for your pictures but that second picture really has me confused! What happened to the FRONT seat back in that picture????
If that brown upholstered seat is the BACK seat back , how does it get up where it is located in the picture ???
Please explain.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
steve fritz

Chris....OK , me again. The light bulb just went on! The second picture shows the FRONT seat back, correct??? It must be hinged somehow to lift off the front seat mounts and spring up in the air? Can that be ????? That would allow access to the back seat storage area?
Steve
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
Chris in MA...thanks for your pictures but that second picture really has me confused! What happened to the FRONT seat back in that picture????
If that brown upholstered seat is the BACK seat back , how does it get up where it is located in the picture ???
Please explain.
Thanks again,
Steve
The SEATBACK is hinged at TOP. In that picture, the bottom of seatback has been lifted for access to the space BEHIND the seat. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
steve fritz

V8Coopman...if that's the case , then where is the FRONT seat back?????

Looks like we need more pictures!
Steve
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
4dFord/SC

That is the front seat; it rotates down for driving. There is no back seat in the 5W Coupe. Think of it as a mail slot with a cover. You lift it up the cover to put the mail in, and put it down to close it. In this case, you lift the seat back from the bottom to put stuff behind the front seat, and then put it down to drive.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
steve fritz

Thanks .....could somebody post a picture of the 5 Window Coup with the package trey set up in the back seat area? A picture that would show how this area under the package trey looks, how it is upholstered around the floor area and on top of the package trey.
Really appreciate the comments so far.
Steve
Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
steve fritz

Follow up to the 40 Ford rear seat questions....can anybody describe the differences in the back seat area floor pans, between the 5 window coup and the Business Coup? I'm trying to figure out which I have , since I don't have the original seating with this project car.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
RPM

Steve, a this point perhaps you could post some pics of your floor and let us help you positively identify what you have.
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
steve fritz

I'll try to post some pictures now.
When I click on the insert image icon, it asks for the URL of your image. What do I do next?????
Is there some instructions on the Ford Barn home page on How to attach pictures???
Sorry, but I'm not real good on the computer.
Steve
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
4dFord/SC

Look under FAQ (at the the top of the main page): "Reading and Posting Messages"/"Attachments and Images."
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote