Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Lawrie

Thumbs up 33 engine noise

Over the last year or so our 33(99a engine) has had this harmonic type noise creep in, mostly on acceleration or power on,
I looked back through the log book for the 33 and see that it was more than likely traced back to one or two distributors.
I had tried lots and always thought (rightly so) that it was related to timing.I even made up a list with the 68 advance in ,it seemed way better but lost a lot of power I thought, and the ford engineers new more than me, thats why they used the 11a adv.
Yesterday we went for a long drive(150 miles) and before we left, I manually set the static timing on the engine @4 deg,( I usually use a timing light.)
So on the way out of town it pinged up the hill so at the servo I screwed the vac brake half way back in and from then on the noise is just about non existent,and quiet in the cab.
All the times before when I tried to fix this noise I always thought it was too much advance and retarded the timing and vac brake together, it never got rid of it.
So looks like the timing needs the 4 deg and the vac adjusted the curve to suit our 91 oct fuel.
I must be getting stupid ,if I just read my ford books that was what they say to do.
The 33 is back being a pleasure to drive
I have written a detailed note on this and put it in my files so when my boys have the 33 in 20 yrs they will know how to fix stuff.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEE00033-8392-4D52-9639-C76E2BF83404.jpg (37.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Lawrie; 05-31-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote