Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
Keith True

Default Re: What's it worth?

I have sold quite a bit of stuff,and a lot that belonged to other people because they didn't want to deal with buyers.On Model A's and British bikes I set the price,and that is it.I drive my stake in the sand and stay right there.Cash doesn't melt me down into a puddle,I don't drool and get weak minded at the sight of it.British bike guys,(and A guys)will stand around picking on piddling little things,trying to chisel the price.At some point you have to pay them to haul the car or bike off.I really think the internet has done it.In the last 10 years some people have gotten downright insulting.They've learned things like,negotiating points,or,never pay the asking price.I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.Something hit me in the head,it was a paper airplane made out of a check.A street rod guy was waiting for the A guys to get done,after all they were first in line and had first chance.When he heard the $3500.offer he sailed the check at me.I offered them the chance to match it,but the rod guy got it.It is running around now with a flat V8 in it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.
I had that type of action (not quite as bad) when I put my 28 Roadster up for sale recently. I would tell them 'It's not perfect - if it didn't have those little things wrong with it, I would have put the price higher.' Actually I told them everything that I knew was wrong.
I sold it locally (no advertising - other than a sign on it at a car show) in three weeks. The buyer actually looked at it on it's first day on the market, said he 'had to talk to his wife.' Forgot all about him. Three weeks later he called me on his way back down from a Car Show up north (saw what he could get for that price) - said he had money in hand, bring it over.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
brum1

if run and drives, I would suggest buy for that money
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Great original "deluxe" edition of a flagship model of the Model A Ford line. Super hard to find a car like that these days. About the only thing I'd do to that car would be to get rid of the white wall tires and put on black walls. Drive and enjoy as is . . .
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Great original "deluxe" edition of a flagship model of the Model A Ford line. Super hard to find a car like that these days. About the only thing I'd do to that car would be to get rid of the white wall tires and put on black walls. Drive and enjoy as is . . .
Cap
U Forgot one more thing you would need to do
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #26
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I have sold quite a bit of stuff,and a lot that belonged to other people because they didn't want to deal with buyers.On Model A's and British bikes I set the price,and that is it.I drive my stake in the sand and stay right there.Cash doesn't melt me down into a puddle,I don't drool and get weak minded at the sight of it.British bike guys,(and A guys)will stand around picking on piddling little things,trying to chisel the price.At some point you have to pay them to haul the car or bike off.I really think the internet has done it.In the last 10 years some people have gotten downright insulting.They've learned things like,negotiating points,or,never pay the asking price.I had a nice 30 Coupe here for a friend that wanted 10K out of it.A little gang of A guys were going over it,they were writing down all the things it needed,then presented me with the list of about 150 things wrong.It was a nice driver,not a correct restored car.They decided it was worth $3500.Something hit me in the head,it was a paper airplane made out of a check.A street rod guy was waiting for the A guys to get done,after all they were first in line and had first chance.When he heard the $3500.offer he sailed the check at me.I offered them the chance to match it,but the rod guy got it.It is running around now with a flat V8 in it.
Keith,

Illustrative, if sad, story about the Coupe.

I was taught decades before the internet "never to pay asking price" (unless it's an undisputable bargain as-priced), and that the "list of deficiencies" is more of a tool for you the buyer to set a ceiling, rather than an active bargaining tool with the seller (I've tried it that why, thinking I was being rational and "fair" to the seller, but it usually just made them mad...)

A few times, I've made a counter-offer, and if declined, left my contact info with the seller with the request to "be in touch if something changes"... that has brought favorable results a few times.

It is my observation that Model A guys can be a "thrifty" bunch sometimes (myself included)... many of us do not have deep pockets, and for the most part, the Model A Ford is still the cheapest option for a car from that era...

The '31 Slant that started the thread looked like a very respectable example, and was probably fairly priced, if the mechanicals were in comparable condition to the cosmetics... it must have been okay if it is gone.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #27
Keith True

I bought my roadster in 02 because the A guys that had looked at it kept trying to lowball the seller.It wasn't running,had sat since 72 in a dry cellar,was rock solid and had 31000 miles on it.The chiselers started in and got nowhere.The owner knew what he had,and was going to wait for the right buyer.I looked,paid,and am still driving it.I don't get mad at people,some just don't know any better and have no idea they are insulting people.I am still polite to them,they might come back,or just decide to pay the price.The ones I really pay no attention to are the ones that call me and say,you've had that up to sell for three months now,it's time to drop the price and sell it to me.I usually say,if it don't sell in a few more years I'll think about dropping the price.For the class of A's I work around I have truly found that the street rodders set the prices.What seems to happen is a guy sells his old Mustang,or Camaro,to build a rod.The first thing they do is go out and buy the most solid old car,usually an A,they can find to build from.Some will try to justify it to themselves by saying they will sell the running gear and other parts and get a lot of their money back,but after looking at the extra parts for a couple of years they tend to just unload the leftovers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote