Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Testing Voltage Can't Get Any Easier Than This Meter

A while back a couple people said they found the common analog multimeter too hard to read, or didn't understand how to use it. Here's a meter I bought for only a few dollars delivered. It reads 0 to 15 volts DC, so it's good for 6 and 12 volt cars. Also shown is an NOS Triplett 0 to 10 volt DC meter I bought a few weeks ago on ebay for only $12 delivered. This is for those who want tops in quality and accuracy. Either meter will work fine for checking the Model A. You just have to add a couple wires and aligator clips.

Here is a link to a 0 to 10 volts DC meter for only $2.86 with free delivery. It comes from China by boat, so expect to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery.

I cut a piece out of a junk aluminum door frame to make a mounting box for the small meter. The China meter is 2 1/2" and the Triplett is 5".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-New-DC-...item27ee7b28ec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volt Meter 15a.jpg (57.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Volt Meter 15b.jpg (54.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Volt Meter Triplet.jpg (73.9 KB, 123 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
foxfire42

Default Re: Testing Voltage Can't Get Any Easier Than This Meter

That's what will work great for me. I get frustrated with all the settings on my meter. I don't know that I've ever needed anything but basic information. A simple mind needs a simple meter. I have used the Ohm setting but that's rare.

I'm off to do some meter shopping.................
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have posted this before, it is easy for anyone to use (as easy as a simple test light) and gives an accurate voltage reading with a digital readout. it's a glorified test light which also allows the user to send a ground or power to a circuit with the flick of a switch. it also allows you to send both power and ground to complete a circuit (light a bulb) etc.. its simple and easy..
it also has a built in circuit breaker to protect any circuits being tested.
i do all my model A work with it including adjusting the charging rate

i use it on 6 or 12v systems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.2 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-04-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
That's what will work great for me. I get frustrated with all the settings on my meter. I don't know that I've ever needed anything but basic information. A simple mind needs a simple meter. I have used the Ohm setting but that's rare.

I'm off to do some meter shopping.................
My suggestion is to purchase an automotive trouble light. They work on both 6 and 12 volts and are very simple to use. All you do is clip the ground lead to ground and put the probe on a voltage point. If there is voltage there the light in the probe will light. it works on both negative and positive ground cars. The only reason you would need a volt meter is to measure the voltage. If you are trouble shooting why your car won't start the trouble light will tell you where you are losing the voltage.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A while back a couple people said they found the common analog multimeter too hard to read, or didn't understand how to use it. Here's a meter I bought for only a few dollars delivered. It reads 0 to 15 volts DC, so it's good for 6 and 12 volt cars. Also shown is an NOS Triplett 0 to 10 volt DC meter I bought a few weeks ago on ebay for only $12 delivered. This is for those who want tops in quality and accuracy. Either meter will work fine for checking the Model A. You just have to add a couple wires and aligator clips.

Here is a link to a 0 to 10 volts DC meter for only $2.86 with free delivery. It comes from China by boat, so expect to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery.

I cut a piece out of a junk aluminum door frame to make a mounting box for the small meter. The China meter is 2 1/2" and the Triplett is 5".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-New-DC-...item27ee7b28ec

Thanks to the two Toms, we can always depend on you two guys for anything electrical.
Keep up the great work my friends! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 04-05-2015 at 07:50 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

OK, now that you all have ordered the meter for only $2.85 delivered, here are the aligator clips to go with it. How can they make and sell them 10 for only $1.06 delivered?

Order 10 RED and 10 BLACK and you'll have enough to make up some jumper wires to help with your testing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Stable...ht_7849wt_1238
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Rich in Tucson

"How can they make and sell them 10 for only $1.06 delivered?"

Arcane* US Postal Service Regulations, which permit businesses in some countries to ship things to USA for next to nothing.

*arcane
[ahr-keyn]
adjective
known or understood by very few; mysterious; secret; obscure; esoteric.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote