Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default Two post lift opinions

I’ve been looking at 2 post lifts on Maxlift.com in the $3500 range. I’ve seen what appears to be the same one on Toptome.com at less than half that price. How can that be? Like the stuff at Walmart the same as Jewel but half the price?
Old 10-18-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Two post lift opinions

I'm in the same boat. Looking at lifts in the 2200.00 range with free shipping.(To Orcas Island) Hard to believe this can be true. These are 9000 lb capacity range. I will be watching this thread. Thanks for posting.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #3
Don W/Norfolk

I've been very pleased with the one I purchased from Stratus. Model SAE-S66M. Currently ~$4500 + free shipping

https://stratusautoequip.com/
Old 10-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
rockfla

I bought mine used. 9000Lb A-Symetric. $1500 was able to see it operate, paid the local dealer/installer $350 to disassemble/move it/re-assemble it in my shop!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #5
dean333

After some research I think the point is moot. My floor would need to be 6” thick and it’s only 4”. I’m limited, in a townhouse/duplex unit.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
After some research I think the point is moot. My floor would need to be 6” thick and it’s only 4”. I’m limited, in a townhouse/duplex unit.
A 4-post is probably the best option. You could have your concrete cut, drill holes for re-bar into the existing and then pour new concrete being mindful of edge distance to walls. Bendpak had good recommendations on this link, https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/co...-requirements/

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
tubman

I had the same problem with the floor in my shop. An estimate on the concrete work needed will make you quickly re-consider your lift options. I settled in a 4 post and a combination of a jack pan and a bottle jack makes a good combination.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #8
sugarmaker

Folks,
Our shop was designed around a large 2 post lift. I was able to snag a used rotary brand truck lift from local tire and car repair store. It's a 12,000 lb symmetrical arm style.
Today was the first actual project. Had the F250 diesel on it to repair a worn steering component.
We installed the lift. Shimming the low side of the floor 1.5 inches due to floor drain slope.
I did look at new ones and I think installed they were about $10k to $12k.
Sounds like a good price on the 9,000 lb lifts.
I am a little concerned that this tool in the shop makes me take on more projects????
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-24-2023 at 08:11 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #9
cadillac512

Chris- Yes, it will put more projects in the shop...and you'll have lots of new friends! But man, is it a good tool to have. I absolutely won't be without one now.

Mine is an import 9000# symmetrical unit with floor plate cable/hose runs due to my limited ceiling space and cost $2100 three years ago. It's well made and works great.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #10
flatford8

About 7-8 yrs ago I bought a two post low overhead, Atlas lift from Greg Smith Equipment. At the time they had a warehouse about 100 miles from me so I picked it up. I installed it and they recommended 4” of concrete under the posts. I had a beam over the posts so I made a brace up to each beam. I’ve had an extended cab long wheelbase p-u, a 2500 HD and a Suburban on it a bunch of times. I think the original price was $1495. It works great and I’m very happy with it........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:33 PM   #11
dean333

Mark, they’re up to $5000 now, almost double last year’s price.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #12
flatford8

There’s a website that carries different brands. If I find it I’ll leave a comment here.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:25 PM   #13
cadillac512

Here's mine with the raised ceiling I modified in my garage. Like Mark, I tied the tops of the columns to the garage structure for extra support in addition to the floor anchors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006(2).jpg (40.9 KB, 238 views)

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:41 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Here's one on Amazon. I too will have to do some cutting to raise my 10' ceiling. All framing is exposed, just some 5/8" plywood on the storage loft above. I like these ideas about top support. Would be easy for me to incorporate. Think the 4" slab with fiber reinforcement would be ok as is if I securely braced the top?

https://www.amazon.com/Xinkong-Truck...8-de351f41cffb
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:53 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Here's mine with the raised ceiling I modified in my garage. Like Mark, I tied the tops of the columns to the garage structure for extra support in addition to the floor anchors.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:49 AM   #16
mercman from oz

Comparing the Two Post Hoists with a Four Poster, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
With a Four Post Hoist, the vehicular is more secure but the wheels need to be jacked individually for attention.
On the Two Post Hoist, the wheels are free, however, there is more strain on the actual car.
When we were doing the brakes on my Mercury, when the car was on the Hoist, I had difficulty opening the door to allow me to pump the brakes.
When I had finished pumping the brakes, I could not shut the door because of the location of the Arms under the chassis bent the chassis slightly.
Had the car been a Convertible, the added strain would have been much worse.
That is my 2 cents worth.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:59 AM   #17
tubman

I talked to a friend at my last high school reunion. He told me he has a two post lift lift that came with a couple of auxiliary aluminum ramps. He said that they are light enough to be handled by one guy but strong enough to support a vehicle. They are designed to mate securely with the arms on the two post lift. I would like to check it out but he lives 300 miles from me.

I have a proper sized bottle jack laying on it's side in the jack tray on my 4-post. Along with a couple of random length 2x6's, it's easy and convenient to raise one end or the other. That's OK woth me, since I can only work on one end at a time.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:08 AM   #18
barnfind

I would consider adding 1/4 or 1/2 inch steel plate under the posts if I was concerned about the ability of the concrete to handle the load.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #19
rockfla

Well, here goes...gas now thrown on the fire

Dean333
I am an industrial fastener sales/VP, I started in the tool and fastener business in 1984 selling power tools, accessories and concrete anchors and cutting tools. I have been in this business for at least 35 years selling to every type of concrete, general, mechanical, HVAC, Marine contractor, ship fitter, fabricator, machinist, loggers/timber/land clearing and welding contractor imaginable. I have been to several concrete anchor seminars, classes and sales classes etc etc over the years for several manufacturer engineers of anchors, concrete screws, powder actuated pins, loads, clips, diamond blades, core bore bits, more than you can shake a stick at. I know the lift manufactures say 6" of concrete min required etc etc and many here have posted about making concrete foundations 12" deep etc, etc. My concrete floor is 5". My two post lift is a 9000lb lift anchored with no less than 6 (if not 8, I'd have to look again) wedge anchors per post and I am another 1-1/8 deeper than you will be SO I am a little bit higher in strength rating (i figured close to maybe 8000), which is what the majority of installers use. When properly installing a 3/4 wedge anchor, a minimum set depth is 3-3/8" MINIMUM (and in actuality, you're only as strong as your concrete) so, IF you used 3-3/4" embedment in 2000 psi concrete that anchor will have a tensile strength of 7120lbs and slightly more since you would be going another 3/8 of an inch deeper. NOW remember that is with ONE anchor, your lift will be anchored by at least 6 anchors so you can spread that load over 6 anchor points, THEN, keep in mind your spreading the load of your lift between TWO Post SO that load is being supported by a of 12 anchoring points of 7120lb.....The concrete at the maximum is only rated at 2000psi.....Maybe more, depending on your areas build requirements??? IF it's 4000lb concrete you can jump your tensile to 14,740Lbs of tensile strength. I used 4-1/2 embedment depth, plus the thickness of the base of my post, plus nut, washer AND the pull to tighten factor for my anchors. I know I will never have a vehicle close to 9000Lbs on my lift NOR would I put that much on it anyway. I am a firm believer OF 75% of whatever I am using is rated for....WHY push it? The most I figure I will ever have is 5000Lbs for what I do or for my needs. I have lifted my 39 Mercury 4 door (at the 4 "X" brace points of the frame), my wife's 2018 Lincoln MKX and parents 2011 Lincoln MKX, Jeeps, Honda's, my 2017 F-150 ALL with NO hesitation of my safety NOR any indication of any problems or safety concerns!!! I deal with this issue and an council/help contractors every single day solve anchoring issues for A/C units, safety lines for workers, light poles, guard rails, scaffolds, you name it where safety and lives depend on proper installation AND believe me, IF i didn't have confidence in what I posted MY keester would NOT be under that lift!! NOR would I be in this business for as long as I have been or have the trust and reputation of my customer most for the past 25 years, a few for my full 35+ years.

NOW, I wanted to use what is called a"Drop-In" anchor as opposed to a wedge anchor for my lift 1) because its a threaded wedge insert style anchor and you use a regular hex head cap screw to anchor down the lift and 2) because IF you moved or needed to move the lift you just unbolt it and move it and you don't have threaded studs sticking up out of the floor that you have to cut off if you move it. 3) With the right length bolt you have a constant force pushing the wedge of the insert down and putting moe anchoring force to the insert!!! Those are only 3-3/16" long thus 3-3/16 minimum embedment BUT they give you a 8280lb of tinsile strength, minimum in 2000lb concrete BUT the installer I used did not want to use them SO I went with the wedge anchors....which also tells you what faith I have in what I print!!!

Now IF you were pouring or starting from scratch, I would say pour 6" of concrete OR yea, bite the bullet and make your 12" foundation with rebar and anchor bolts and all that added "insurance" BUT the reality is....it is a safety factor X3 endevor, which I am not saying is wrong or bad.....but what I have printed here ALSO has a "safety" factor built in as well SO.....If it were me and I had the room at my duplex for a lift, I would not hesitate to put it in.

JMO and For the "What its worth" department.

Rockfla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39on lift.jpg (76.5 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 10-19-2023 at 08:36 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:34 AM   #20
petehoovie

JMO and For the "What its worth" department.

Rockfla

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote