Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Greg Jones

Default Interesting Document found in 29 Town Sedan

My first Model A was a 1929 Town Sedan purchased for $50 in 1973 in the small town of Brady, Washington.The car was about a half mile from where we lived, and was the only car my Dad would let me buy.This poor old sedan was driven into a chicken coop in 1963 and had chickens roosting in it ever since.Needless to say, it was not in the best of shape and no matter what I did, it had that aura of “chicken coop” ever present.Of course, chicken droppings are not friendly to sheet metal either.I suspect that the car was being held together primarily with paint.I ultimately sold the car to a man named Bud Keith from somewhere in Grays Harbor County, Washington.
One day while cleaning out layers and layers of dirt, chicken feathers, and guano I was digging around in the driver side cowl section and discovered some type of card.Upon cleaning it a bit, I was able to discern that this card was originally presented to the purchaser of the car new in 1929.The card attests to the fact that one E.J. Cota of Hoquiam, Washington purchased a new 1929 Town Sedan, motor serial number 2381605, and is “entitled” to have service performed by a number of service stations.It is amazing to me that the card survived all those years.It also appears to have been saturated with oil so it is slowly decaying, and I thought you would be interested in this little historical artifact.How many of you can name the original purchaser of your Model A?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 TS small.jpg (66.7 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg cardsmall.jpg (480.2 KB, 321 views)
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Interesting Document found in 29 Town Sedan

Your car, more than likely, came out of the Seattle assembly plant...same as my February 1929 Tudor (and I do have the original paperwork and owner of the car).

So your engine number was stamped on September 26, 1929 in Dearborn, shipped to Seattle by boat and was installed into the chassis ABOUT two weeks later in October and sold October 31, 1929.

Probably one of the last 1929 modles.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 06-19-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Terry, NJ

Wasn't that also the day of the stock market crash too?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Interesting.

I see the guy bought the car new on Halloween. He got the treat you got the trick
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Very cool. You should have your card laminated so it doesn't deteriorate any more. Thanks for sharing.

Does it have chicken wire in the roof? No, wait. That's was another thread...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-19-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
jax55

Pluck, where and how did you get all that info from Greg's engine number? I have been trying to find some of that info for my 31 sport coupe.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

You can go to my website or Bob Johnson's website and plug in the engine numbers and it will give you a date...with mine, which Bob's is attached to, you have to scroll through the different months of a particular year before you find the timeperiod that you are looking for.

These numbers are for original stamped engines from Ford...does not apply to restamps.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
Greg Jones

It would be interesting to find out what became of my original Town Sedan. Steve, you are lucky to still have your Tudor and know its history. I am hoping some of the Washington state Model A folks know of Bud Keith and might have some insight. But of course that was a long time ago....
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I love posts like this!
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
Dave Mellor NJ

I believe the stock market crashed on Oct 29. Maybe he didn't hear about it for a few days.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Brianfrench65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Your car, more than likely, came out of the Seattle assembly plant...same as my February 1929 Tudor (and I do have the original paperwork and owner of the car).

So your engine number was stamped on September 26, 1929 in Dearborn, shipped to Seattle by boat and was installed into the chassis ABOUT two weeks later in October and sold October 31, 1929.

Probably one of the last 1929 modles.

Pluck
I have a Briggs town sedan, engine number 3510495 (which I was told 6-2-1930); that I was told it was assembled in Buffalo, NY. The Briggs body must have come from Detroit? And the chassis from Rouge? The car was sold by the Hughes French Auto Sales, Utica, NY. The buyer was Lottie Kozlowski, from Poland NY. Lottie owned, managed as well was the bouncer of the Black Daliah restaurant in Poland NY. She drove this car to Florida, to stay with her sister for the winter. Lottie made this trip into the mid 40's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting or not, but My BriggsTown sedan is numbered 3550*** and I believe it was built on 6/4/30. I have heard it's not wise to give your entire number.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
I have a Briggs town sedan, engine number 3510495 (which I was told 6-2-1930); that I was told it was assembled in Buffalo, NY. The Briggs body must have come from Detroit? And the chassis from Rouge? The car was sold by the Hughes French Auto Sales, Utica, NY. The buyer was Lottie Kozlowski, from Poland NY. Lottie owned, managed as well was the bouncer of the Black Daliah restaurant in Poland NY. She drove this car to Florida, to stay with her sister for the winter. Lottie made this trip into the mid 40's.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote