Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #1
47topless

Default Do those dipstick heaters really work?

Living in a cold climate and wanting to drive my old car all year round, (within reason), cranking that cold engine sure seems like I'm putting a whole lot of stress on the engine and especially the old starter.
Would installing one of those dipstick heaters help or do I need a water circulating unit?
Growing up in Montana and never having the luxury of a garage, the circulating one's really worked great. They were, however, a bit of a pain to install.
Thank you,
Phil
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Do those dipstick heaters really work?

Tell us more. Are you still in Montana, is your garage attached?
What state of tune, or condition is the"the old" car?
Old 12-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
oldskool

dipstick heaters cook the oil better off with a water heater
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
51504bat

Don't know about dip stick heaters but I once bought an 8ba that had a heater that installed in place of a head bolt. When I tore it down it was cracked along the pan rails which is indicative of freezing. So my guess is that the head bolt heater didn't do what it was supposed to do.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:44 PM   #5
fordyford

The head bolt heater was intended to be a cold START AID, not as protection from freezing. You still need antifreeze.

Keith
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #6
chain drive

use fresh spring water that never freezes
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
Pete

Dipstick heaters worked good for me when I was in Alaska and the temp. was minus 68F.
We had transmission and rear end heaters also.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #8
woodiewagon46

I don't know about dipstick heaters but block heaters do. Car starts right up and the water is warm so you have heat.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #9
1952henry

You can buy magnetic oil pan heaters as well. Head bolt heaters do work. As mentioned, they are used to preheat an engine, not replace anti-freeze. There is no correlation between headbolt heaters and cracked blocks. They were pretty common on yesteryear vehicles in these parts.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #10
47topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Tell us more. Are you still in Montana, is your garage attached?
What state of tune, or condition is the"the old" car?
Now in Colorado. Much better climate but still cold.
Just recently purchased my car. A 1947 Ford convertible, stock, and in very good condition. Could probably use a fresh tune-up.
I do have an attached garage but unheated. May be time to change that!
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Was chatting with my Step Dad last year . . . about how they dealt with the severe cold on their cars in the 30's. (In South Dakota - where seeing -30 was not an unusual situation in Winter). Example, it is supposed to hit about -25 this week . . . pretty unusual this time of year.

First thing he said was that they did not have anti-freeze, so they ran diesel fuel for coolant. He also said it was a constant battle between the guys that drove a Chevy versus a Ford. In his mind, the old Fords seemed to start better in the severe weather.

He also told a story where if they knew it was going to be really cold, they'd build a fire, then snuff it out with dirt/gravel and then park their cars over the "hot spot" for the night.

Keep in mind, they were out in the country, they didn't have electricity until the early 50's.

The things they did "back in the day" . . . LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #12
GB SISSON

I have bought two flathead vehicles with the headbolt heaters. One from Minot North Dakota, other from Parkers Prairie Minnesota. No pan cracks, nicely made. I think I would go for a good sized magnetic pan heater for ease, if more is needed, do a water jacket or hose mounted circulating type next summer when living is easy.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #13
my4dv8

Water straight from deep spring won’t freeze till it hits natural air temperature that is below zero ,even a moving brook can have a frozen surface, but below its moving with fractionally warmer water . From then on spring water is just ordinary water ,which will freeze when subjected to below zero temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain drive View Post
use fresh spring water that never freezes

Last edited by my4dv8; 12-22-2022 at 03:14 AM.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #14
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Was chatting with my Step Dad last year . . . about how they dealt with the severe cold on their cars in the 30's. (In South Dakota - where seeing -30 was not an unusual situation in Winter). Example, it is supposed to hit about -25 this week . . . pretty unusual this time of year.

First thing he said was that they did not have anti-freeze, so they ran diesel fuel for coolant. He also said it was a constant battle between the guys that drove a Chevy versus a Ford. In his mind, the old Fords seemed to start better in the severe weather.

He also told a story where if they knew it was going to be really cold, they'd build a fire, then snuff it out with dirt/gravel and then park their cars over the "hot spot" for the night.

Keep in mind, they were out in the country, they didn't have electricity until the early 50's.

The things they did "back in the day" . . . LOL

-22 right now in central ND. Alcohol was used for coolant as well, but would boil off. Bringing oil into house wasn't unheard of. My late father graduated in 1952, the same year REA got electricity to their farm. I believe Rumley Oil Pull prairie tractors used oil as coolant. This, admittedly, is getting away from OP's question.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #15
outlaw

IMHO; Be careful on using a magnetic or a silicone/stick on pan heater. Too "hot" of one can cook the oil in your pan! They are available in different wattages. Unless it is really cold out it is not advisable to leave the magnetic ones on over nite. There are charts by the different manufacturers that recommend wattages by the pan/tank capacities.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:50 AM   #16
RalphG

All my dad ever had on the 52 Merc was the head bolt heaters. Only on one head as I recall but I'm sure two would have warmed it up faster. Anti freeze in the system of course and keep it strong. Pushing a wind at 50 mph and 30 below would gell up the radiator sometimes and you'd have the unique situation of boiling the engine in bone chilling cold weather.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:50 AM   #17
tubman

Surviving winters on Minnesota in the fifties and sixties, I had 'em all. Best by far was a 1000 watt tank heater.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #18
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
Water straight from deep spring won’t freeze till it hits natural air temperature that is below zero ,even a moving brook can have a frozen surface, but below its moving with fractionally warmer water . From then on spring water is just ordinary water ,which will freeze when subjected to below zero temperatures.
Hey guys, hate to tell you but water H2O freezes at 0° C or 32° F
Flowing or salt will lower it some.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Surviving winters on Minnesota in the fifties and sixties, I had 'em all. Best by far was a 1000 watt tank heater.
A heater in the tank of the radiator? I assume in the lower tank? It has been well below freezing for a week and was 9 degrees last night. Been starting my old diesel skidsteer with a heat gun in the intake so I can plow the road. Warm Pacific air arrives tomorrow and an ice storm is predicted. Housebound, hunkered down and hoping our steep winding road will be passable by Saturday. Heck, I gotta get to town to do my Christmas shopping.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #20
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Definitely the tank heater beats them all but I''ve never seen one on a flathead Ford. My winter tractor will have that engine block almost as warm as summer after an hour of that 1500 watt circulating heater plugged in. Outside temperature was -20F but the old diesel fires up in a couple of turns. The flathead Merc has no coolant heater anymore as I have no intention of trying to start it at our extreme winter temps.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote