Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
38 coupe

Default Cast 4 1/8 pistons?

While looking at my crankshafts I recently realized one of my 4" Merc cranks is offset ground with rod journals sized to standard prewar Ford. I concluded I have a 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft. I have rods and rod bearings for that setup, but not pistons. Looking around the internet all I find is forged pistons for that stroke, typically with a hefty oversize on the bore. Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced cast pistons for 4 1/8 stroke, preferably with bore less than 0.125 over?

Thanks,
Fred
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Cast 4 1/8 pistons?

I’ve got a 4 1/8” crankshaft in my 40 with 3 3/8” bore . Bought pistons from Ross.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
tubman

It's a long shot, but I got some discontinued oversize pistons cheap (closeout) from Speedway Motors several years ago. They weren't listed in their catalog or on-line, but they had 'em.

They seem to have been left with the "unusual" sizes.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
While looking at my crankshafts I recently realized one of my 4" Merc cranks is offset ground with rod journals sized to standard prewar Ford. I concluded I have a 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft. I have rods and rod bearings for that setup, but not pistons. Looking around the internet all I find is forged pistons for that stroke, typically with a hefty oversize on the bore. Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced cast pistons for 4 1/8 stroke, preferably with bore less than 0.125 over?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred,

I'd give Egge a call. I believe they can do special order stuff. I doubt they stock a 4 1/8" stroke piston, but it shouldn't be hard for them to make one.

A custom sized set of Ross pistons cost me $675 without rings, so I'd assume Egge would cheaper.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #5
outlaw

When I got my 4 1/8" pistons from Egge, they were a common in stock item. That was about 10 years ago though.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:56 PM   #6
cadillac512

Egge still lists them in the current offerings, but smallest oversize is .125" as Fred observed. But hey...may as well go for it. It'll probably out last us anyway!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
flatrod

I called all around looking for .080 pistons for 4 1/8 stroke and found nothing about a year ago. I didn't want forged, and I didn't want to bore the block again so it's all sitting on the shelf waiting.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:27 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

I don't like to use Ross pistons in a street engine, but you don't have much choice now days. On my 296ci engine I foumd a set of steel strut piston 4 ring pistons at a flee market for 50 bucks. Fit the pistons with .0015/.002" clearance/ It was still running 10 years later when replaced with a 294 ci Blown engine.
I offered to refresh the original engime engine , but the owner said it didn't use a drop of oil, so now it's a spare. be nice if someone like EGGE would make oversize pistons in the strker version . But no market.
Gramps.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:03 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Egge should be able to supply the stroker pistons your looking for and as Tim wrote they will be a lot less money than forged. Custom sizing usually is not a problem for Egge.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Having done business with Egge for over 30 years, they are not very helpful. I wanted ONE (!1) .020 3 5/6 x4 piston , but I had to buy 4. I asked why, and never got a straight answer so I bought 8 and all te cylinders. Now I have a set of 3 5/16 x 4 pistons for something I\ll probably never bui;d/
This is one of many good reasons I don't build enigmas anymore, and most shops are closed. Thise that are still in business, won't build a flathead, but TG they'l do mschine work, like boring millimg heads and valve jobs. But they'er not cheep
Gramps
Sorry about the spelling, can't see any more either.
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote