Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Mcb12

Default Drop a roofing nail

I keep reading about dropping a roofing nail in the overflow tube, I have a gurgling problem at times. Where is the original post about it with some details.
Mcb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Gold Digger

Default Re: Drop a roofing nail

I don't know where the original post is but it sure works.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Mcb12

So what exactly do I do. Make sure the nail can not pop all the way out with cap on? How high should overflow tube be?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Brentwood Bob

The service bulletins have a diagram of the correct position of the overflow.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Benson

The overflow problem is caused by the in-correct positioning of the over flow tube.

My radiator was overflowing 50 years ago and since I followed the service bulletin it has not lost any water since then ...even when driving at 65 MPH for several hours.

The 1930 service bulletin for fixing the overflow problem is on Page 450 of the Service Bulletins.

This bulletin stops the overflow and makes the roofing nail un-necessary.

You can use the nail at your own risk but if the radiator ever boils over the radiator can be split open or the tubes may split ... where ever the weakest place is in your radiator.

Additional info:

See post #8

When the pressure gets high enough the nail is held down by the pressure and then the nail stops "Dancing" and no steam can escape and the radiator quickly bursts.

I predict that some one will use the nail and post asking why their radiator has burst.

Last edited by Benson; 08-20-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
rscardina

Bill Williamson is the one that I have seen suggesting the nail trick. I have seen posts where it was successful. Mine continued to overflow even with the nail. My radiator doesn't have a baffle, which I believe is the main issue that I had. I extended the overflow tube to just under the radiator cap and added a thermostat and have not had any overflow issues since. I think the main concern would be determine if you are overheating and boiling out water or just have an overflow issue like mine. You should be able to find several post by Bill with this suggestion and other comments related to the subject.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscardina View Post
Bill Williamson is the one that I have seen suggesting the nail trick. I have seen posts where it was successful. Mine continued to overflow even with the nail. My radiator doesn't have a baffle, which I believe is the main issue that I had. I extended the overflow tube to just under the radiator cap and added a thermostat and have not had any overflow issues since. I think the main concern would be determine if you are overheating and boiling out water or just have an overflow issue like mine. You should be able to find several post by Bill with this suggestion and other comments related to the subject.

For those un-familiar with the fix and reading these threads:

This is exactly what the 450 bulletin says to fix the problem in 1930 except there is no mention of using a thermostat.

Last edited by Benson; 08-20-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

THE NAIL WON'T PRESSURISE THE SYSTEM, IT JUST SITS THERE, "DANCING" AROUND & PREVENTING "SPLASH OVER", INTO THE TUBE.
It's an OOOOOLD time "fix".
Bill W.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
The 1930 service bulletin for fixing the overflow problem is on Page 450 of the Service Bulletins.
[/COLOR][/B]
I read this awhile back while perusing the Service Bulletins but I was concerned about bending the 85 yo overflow tube. I assume it is copper but it may have become work hardened from vibration over time?? Don't know, just askin'. Sure don't want to crack it.

I did extend the overflow tube to just under the front of the radiator opening with piece of shrink tubing.

I don't really have a 'overflow' problem when it is running but when I go out in the morning there is sometimes a small puddle under the overflow tube. I think this may be coolant condensing in the tube as the car cools down.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
THE NAIL WON'T PRESSURISE THE SYSTEM, IT JUST SITS THERE, "DANCING" AROUND & PREVENTING "SPLASH OVER", INTO THE TUBE.
It's an OOOOOLD time "fix".
Bill W.
Bill, is there any concern of the nail wearing out the inside of the overflow tube while it's "Dancing" around?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Mcb12

I have been expeirmenting with GAV and timing. I picked up a sink gastet (Rubber) to use in my cap to make it seal alittle better, and running a richer fuel mixer I was able to sustain 45 mph with no water loss and even pushed her above 50 for a while. When I stopped there was nothing coming from the overflow. I think Fuel + timing + better seal = had done the trick. thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Bill, is there any concern of the nail wearing out the inside of the overflow tube while it's "Dancing" around?
NAW !
Look in your filler & rev it up to about 1800 RPM & you'll be AMAZED at the flow, no wonder water splashes over the overflow & gets low, a little bit at a time.
I, personally, "feel" that most overheating is caused by either low on water or rust flakes stuck in the top of radiator tubes! RUST FLAKES WILL NEVER BE ELIMINATED, JUST CONTROLLED
IF you have a temp gauge & at road speed, the temp cycles up & down, at regular intervals, YOU'RE LOW ON WATER !
RUST FLAKES are a common condition, JUST BACKFLUSH IT, at least once a year !!!
Bill W.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Mcb12

Thanks Bill.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

I think I posted this picture once before... I 'found' this in my water outlet when I was installing my t-stat. I assume that it was installed at some time in the past to restrict the water flow to the radiator.

But your right Bill, the water really moves in there.

My temperature only fluctuates at start up until it settles in at 160-165°F. No cycling while driving (altho that's a good point to watch for).
Old 08-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I think I posted this picture once before... I 'found' this in my water outlet when I was installing my t-stat. I assume that it was installed at some time in the past to restrict the water flow to the radiator.

But your right Bill, the water really moves in there.

My temperature only fluctuates at start up until it settles in at 160-165°F. No cycling while driving (altho that's a good point to watch for).
When poor & couldn't afford thermostats, used BIG FLAT WASHERS on Flathead V-8's, to slow down the flow.
Does anyone remember those BROWN thermostats that spliced into the top hose & had an adjustable knob that adjusted it from 160 to 180 degrees?
Bill W.